WelcomeWe are looking forward to your arrival on campus and congratulate you on becoming a member of the Class of 2023. We hope you will find this website helpful in getting all your required information completed. We look forward to meeting you and orienting you to the DVM program. Please check this site thoroughly and often for any updates or revisions that may be necessary. If you still need additional information please call us at 217-265-0380 or e-mail us at email@example.com. We are here to help you in any way we can. Dr. Jonathan H. Foreman, Associate Dean; Alan Upchurch, Academic Program Coordinator; Katherine Irwin, Counselor; Susan Long, Office Manager; Carol Parker,Office Support Specialist; Katie King,Office Support Specialist; Laura Smith, Office Support Specialist
Orientation Activities: August 19-23, 2019
- Orientation Schedule (subject to change)
- ID Badge (Mandatory College of Veterinary Medicine ID badge)
- Stethoscopes for Purchase
- Booklist for Class of 2023
- Tours will be available Tuesday and Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. for you to familiarize yourself with the Veterinary Medicine campus. Please meet your tour guide in the Atrium.
Forms: To be submitted by 5 pm, June 28
- Student Medical Forms (Sent ONLY to McKinley Health Center) Contact McKinley Health Center directly at 217-333-2701 for questions.
- Student Medical Forms must to be sent to:
McKinley Health Center 1109 South Lincoln Avenue Urbana, Illinois 61801
- Big Sib/Little Sib Survey – (Due by July 01)
- New Student Information Survey
- Register for Classes (must be done before class begins)
- Illinois SAVMA Membership and Supply List
Mailing address for all admissions correspondence including proof of rabies vaccine and updated transcripts (does not include McKinley Health Center student medical forms):
College of Veterinary Medicine
Office of Academic and Student Affairs
2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Room 2271G
Urbana, Illinois 61802
Tasks: To be completed by 5 pm, August 19
- Acquire I-Card (University Identification Card)
- Parking Permit
- Computer Requirements
- Proof of Rabies Immunization Information (Sent ONLY to the College of Veterinary Medicine.) McKinley Health Center will not start their series until August. You must complete the vaccination series before entering clinics on October 21, 2019.
- VTH Orientation Instructions/Training (Nothing to be done at this time – postponed until closer to start of clinical rotations)
- Information Security Confidentiality Form (Nothing to be done at this time – postponed until closer to start of clinical rotations)
Blue Coat Ceremony, Sunday, August 25, 2:30 pm
Blue Coat Information
The Blue Coat Ceremony is the perfect venue for faculty of the College to formally welcome you into the veterinary profession. The blue coat you will receive is your badge as a veterinarian-in-training. It indicates to hospital and basic science personnel your first year status as a student. The ceremony will be on the afternoon of Sunday, August 25, 2019 beginning at 2:30 p.m. and should be over by 4:30 p.m. at the latest. It will be held at the I Hotel & Conference Center, 1900 S. First Street, Champaign, IL. A reception will immediately follow the ceremony serving appetizers and drinks. Following the reception, we will be offering a student and family member information session. This session will help in orienting you to your new college environment while family members and other interested parties learn what to expect and how to support their new veterinary student during these next four years. Family members are invited to attend, but we do have to limit you to four guests per student due to space availability. You are requested to RSVP and select a size for your blue coat via the New Student Information Survey. I Hotel & Conference Center Map
Lab Coat Sizing Information
Please view the lab coat website for sizing information.
Courses, Electives, and More
First Year Fall Schedule Course # Course Name Credit Hours Type CRN Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Location Required Core Courses VM 602 Structure & Function I 9.5 Lecture (AL1) 54952 9-12,
Lab (AB1) 54953 2-4 10-12 2-4 10-12 2-4 VMBSB 1730 VM 601 Clinical Practice I 4 Lecture 54943 8-9 8-9 8-9 Colloquium: 2251 Remainder of time will be spent in clinical rotations Elective Courses
VCM 686 Zoomed: What’s Your Diagnosis? 1 Lec/Disc 54954 5-6 5-6 LAC 100 VM 622 Research Project I 2 Lec/Disc 69128 4-6 VMBSB 2251
Students accepted are required to have a total of 8 elective credit hours completed as part of the requirements of the DVM program. It is customary that students take 1-2 electives per semester in order to try to complete all 8 electives before they enter their fourth year of clinical rotations which start in the spring semester of their third year. The two elective courses available to you in the fall as first year students are (see schedule above):
- Zoo Med: What’s Your Diagnosis?
- Research Project I
Students also have the opportunity to request elective credit for experience outside the College of Veterinary Medicine. This process happens twice a year (April 15 and November 15 deadlines) depending on the dates the student is seeking to attend. This is a formal process that students can participate in to have their request reviewed by the Office of Academic and Student Affairs and/or by the college Educational Policy Committee. Faculty have developed a listing of “streamed” electives which can be taught (subject to change) to have a variety of topics from which to pick. Please see list below.
University of Illinois Services