Endows Scholarship for Students Facing Discrimination Dr. David Kieltyka (say Kell-TIC-ka) has had the kind of life and career from which “triumph over all the odds” books and movies are made. Growing up poor on the South Side of ...
Veterinary Medicine at Illinois
Online Program for Production Medicine Professionals The University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine recently established an online master’s degree to help address global demands for a safe and nourishing food supply. ...
Register Soon to Begin Learning A program to be held September 8 to 11 will ready Illinois agriculture to mount a coordinated response in the event of a foreign animal disease outbreak. Program organizers are recruiting a wide swath of ...
Most Effective for Biomechanical Conditions For centuries now, many cultures have practiced spinal manipulation in people as a therapy to complement traditional medicine. It’s unclear when this practice was first used for animals, but ...
Our Groundbreaking Program
1st Year Highlights
- Hands-on experience starting in the first semester
- Exposure to diverse career opportunities
- Clinical skills center staffed with experienced coaches
I appreciate the wide variety of electives available to me as an Illinois veterinary student, from international veterinary medicine to exotics to business management.
2nd Year Highlights
- Seven weeks of clinical rotations combined with hands-on skills development
- Comprehensive written and practical milestone examinations
- Elective course sequences offered for seven species or areas of interests
There are vast opportunities to get involved – including the Wildlife Medical Clinic and numerous student clubs. I noticed the friendly, helpful, ‘work-together’ atmosphere at Illinois right away!
3rd Year Highlights
- Surgical instruction, with option for more surgeries in shelter medicine rotation
- Second milestone examinations to ensure readiness for clinics
- Clinical rotation year begins in March
The junior surgery lab not only allowed me to practice one of my special interests but also gave me the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of homeless pets.
4th Year Highlights
- Participation in all areas of patient care at college’s Urbana and Chicago clinics
- For-credit experiences in a variety of internship settings
- Student-designed capstone experience for the six weeks before graduation
I am excited to begin fourth-year clinics, where I can apply what I have learned in the past three years to real-life patients.