Get to Know

Get to Know Megan Mahoney

Dr. Megan Mahoney is an Associate Professor and Director of the Summer Research Training Program for the College of Veterinary Medicine.

When did you begin working at the College of Veterinary Medicine?
I started here in June 2008. 

Describe your role at the college.
I wear multiple hats at the college. In my teaching role, I teach first-year veterinary students concepts related to neurobiology. I also help teach graduate level courses in toxicology. In my research role, I supervise several graduate students and undergraduates. My lab examines how endocrine disrupting chemicals impact cognitive, reproductive, and circadian behaviors as well as the brain structures that regulate these behaviors. Finally, I am the director of the Summer Research Training Program. This is a program that gives first- and second-year veterinary students an opportunity to conduct independent research in biomedical sciences and learn about scientific writing.

Have you held any previous titles or responsibilities at the college?
No, I have not.

What is your favorite part of your job? 
I love the variability of it. In a single day I can be in a classroom talking about cranial nerves, at my desk writing a research paper or in the lab helping a student work on an experiment. Every day has a mix of tasks that keep the job interesting. 

Complete this sentence: My most memorable day at work was…
…when I received great reviews and a fundable score on a grant! It’s difficult to get research money so this was pretty exciting.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I love going to places with live music, especially in the summer. There are so many opportunities to catch music all over Champaign such as in the local parks, downtown Champaign on Friday nights in the summer, and at local restaurants.

What is something your co-workers may be surprised to know about you? 
I grew up in a town just outside of Boston that was around during the Revolutionary War. My dad and I were in the town’s historical Minuteman group that participated in parades and reenactments of the skirmishes. We wore period clothes and tricorn hats, and we played fife in the Fife and Drum group. 

What is one thing on your bucket list? 
I want to travel more. I would love to go to Japan, Ireland, and Australia, but really any travel would be fun.  

Do you have a favorite restaurant or place in the Champaign/Urbana area?
I love the grilled cheese sandwich at Sunsinger. They also have great salads, and cheese plates.

Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without?
I love my coffee! I used to have a significant addiction when the coffee shop was in our building and I could get refills all day long.  I am cutting back. But I still need a couple of cups a day.

Do you have any pets? 
I have an Australian cattle dog and two Siamese cats right now. In the past we have also had an axolotl, African clawed frog, degus, and hamsters.