Get to Know

Get to Know Angela Cravens

Angela Cravens, pictured with her family and dog, Iris, is a human resources director at the College of Veterinary Medicine.

When did you begin working at the College of Veterinary Medicine?

February 27, 2023, so I just passed my one-year anniversary!

Describe your role at the college.

I am the Human Resources (HR) Director, so I supervise the HR Service Center team. My role also focuses on labor and employee relations and process improvements across the college. Some of my favorite parts of HR that I try to do as much as possible are coaching, organization development and design, and change management.

Have you held any previous titles or responsibilities at the college?

No, but I came from University Housing with almost four years there and many years in HR at various companies in the private sector before that.

What is your favorite part of your job?

I love how no two days are the same and there is always a new challenge to overcome or problem to solve. Plus, I work with an amazing team, so I feel extremely lucky for them and that is another favorite part!

Complete this sentence: My most memorable day at work was…

…I don’t think it is appropriate for me to do that while at the college given my line of work, haha! However, I will always remember the first time I had to handle and read a drug test when I worked in a temporary and placement staffing agency before starting my master’s program in HR. Not very fun, but memorable!

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

I spend as much time with my kids as possible and love to travel. I also enjoy yoga and try to do it daily.

What is something your co-workers may be surprised to know about you?

Not everyone knows that I was in the Marching Illini when I was an undergraduate student here.

What is one thing on your bucket list?

There are so many places I want to travel! Australia and Thailand are two top destinations on my list I have never been.

Do you have a favorite restaurant or place in the Champaign/Urbana area?

I really enjoy Seven Saints, especially when they have outdoor music on a nice evening.

Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without?

Coffee! My kids tease me about how much I drink some days, but it is a lifeline for not enough sleep and too much going on!

Do you have any pets?

Yes! I have a rescue husky mix named Iris and am likely getting a kitten later this spring. I told my kids if they can keep their plants alive for six months, and they are surprisingly doing well!

Iris
Angela Cravens in a selfie with her three kids and white husky, Iris.
Angela Cravens with Iris and her three kids