Alumni News | Student Blogs

Three Generations of Veterinarians: 2024 Graduate Joins Family Practice

Class of 2024 DVM graduate, Dr. Grace Steinman, with veterinarian father, grandfather, and brother during the convocation ceremony.

Class of 2024 DVM graduate, Dr. Grace Steinman with veterinarian father, grandfather, and brother during the convocation ceremony on May 10.

Dr. Grace Steinman, who graduated with her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree on May 10, will be returning to her hometown of Salisbury, North Carolina, to practice at the clinic founded by her grandfather, Dr. Charles Steinman, in 1971. He’s still active at the practice, along with his son and Grace’s father, Dr. Tim Steinman, and Grace’s brother, Dr. Gabe Steinman. Grace’s uncle, Todd Steinman, is the practice manager.

Grace recently shared her thoughts on graduating as a third-generation veterinarian.

“My grandfather grew up in a small town in Ohio working on his family’s farm. He worked hard and with the encouragement of my great-grandmother, he attended and graduated from the Ohio State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine in 1969,” Grace wrote. He then served in the U.S. Army and practiced in Kannapolis, North Carolina, before opening the Salisbury Animal Hospital.

Grace’s father and brother joined the practice after earning veterinary degrees from North Carolina State.

“Although years go by, the hard work and grit that I have witnessed among these men is nothing less than inspiring,” Grace wrote.

Class of 2024 DVM graduate, Dr. Grace Steinman, receives a group hug by veterinarian father and brother, while her grandfather looks on during the convocation ceremony.
Dr. Grace Steinman receives a group hug by veterinarian father and brother, while her grandfather looks on during the convocation ceremony.

The practice now has 17 veterinarians and three locations.

“I grew up in the clinic surrounded by many dogs and cats… and countless opportunities to express anal glands. I was born to be a veterinarian and worked in the clinic throughout high school as a kennel/veterinary technician,” Grace wrote. “However, I wanted to find my own calling to the profession.”

She attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, earning a degree in biology “to explore all health professions.” While there, Grace had the opportunity to work with species from equine and wild game to small animals and birds. Her experiences showed her that the human-animal bond drove her passion to become a veterinarian.

“Attending the University of Illinois was initially out of my comfort zone as I was going to be almost 700 miles away from my home and my family. I soon realized that this opportunity was more than anything I could have imagined and has shaped me into the person I am today.

“The people, this place, and the opportunities have had a lasting impact on me and I will be forever grateful. Veterinarian school has challenged me in ways I never expected but has also been the most rewarding. I cannot thank my professors, colleagues, faculty, and staff at Illinois enough.

“However, I would not be here without the mentorship and unwavering support from my mentors especially my grandfather, father, and brother. It is my dream come true to have all three of them hood me and stand by me as I become another Dr. Steinman.”