Practitioner Updates

Technician Spotlight: Rebecca Kamerer, CVT

Kamerer is the clinical trials coordinator for the oncology service.

Tell us about your background.

I am a true townie, born and raised right here in Champaign-Urbana. I went to veterinary technician school at Parkland College. After working briefly at another clinic, I’ve been with the oncology service at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital ever since. For the past 10 years, I have helped Dr. Tim Fan grow our cancer care clinical trial group as the clinical trials coordinator.

How did you become interested in oncology?

While I was in school at Parkland, my grandpa was diagnosed with lung cancer, which piqued my interest in oncology. After rotating through the oncology service at U of I during my clinical year at Parkland, I knew being a veterinary technician in oncology was what I wanted to do. Luck was on my side and a position became available as I was graduating.

What do you enjoy most about being the oncology clinical trials coordinator?

Most of our clinical trials help pay for treatments and even follow-up appointments for our patients. This is a benefit not only to the animals receiving treatment but also to their owners. We are able to closely monitor their pet, which is a treatment option they would not otherwise have had. 

While we are hoping to help patients feel better as we treat their disease, those patients are also helping us develop potential new treatments for animals and humans of the future. It’s an exciting and rewarding position because we know we are making an impact on each patient we treat, and at the same time we are helping science and medicine move forward to build a better future.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I love watching my two children grow! I spend a lot of my spare time transporting them to their various sports practices and events. I love watching their passion for their sports and cheering them on every step of the way. In my remaining free time I enjoy our small farm, being outside gardening, and playing softball.