The selection of students is a three-phase process, usually completed by late-February in the year of matriculation.
Phase One – Cognitive Evaluation
The initial applicant assessment ranks all applicants (usually between 800 to 900) numerically according to a composite score derived from the Cumulative and Science Grade Point Averages, the GRE percentile score, and an evaluation of the rigor of the undergraduate collegiate academic experience.
Phase Two – Non-Cognitive Evaluation
The second phase of the assessment process is a non-academic evaluation of the Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) application and the Illinois Supplemental application by the Admissions Advisory Committee. Each application is read by a minimum of 3 members of the Committee who have not seen the Phase One information. The non-academic score is determined by the following factors:
- VMCAS personal statement
- Illinois Supplemental essay
- Animal-related experience
- Veterinary-related experience
- Other experiences (research, international studies, business, agribusiness, other careers before application)
- Community service/citizenship
- Initiative/enterprising activities
- Special recognition (academic, personal, or professional)
- Electronic Letters of reference (ELOR)
Phase Three – Interview
- 300+ applicants (130 Illinois residents and 200 non-residents) will be offered a personal interview to be scheduled in mid-to-late February.
All applicants will interview on one single day with one of 21 teams of interviewers. Each team is comprised of a college faculty member, a graduated veterinarian, and a third or fourth year veterinary student. A behavior-based interview style is used to assess skills, knowledge, attitudes, and aptitudes pertinent to successful completion of the curriculum and a successful future as a practicing veterinarian. Phase I scoring is not considered in the final ranking.
Final scores for ranking eligibility for admission are derived as follows:
- Phase Two score = 75% of final decision
- Phase Three score = 25% of final decision
Recent Admissions Statistics
The competitive applicant at our college in recent years has had:
- An average Cumulative GPA of 3.59
- An average Science GPA of 3.49
- An average GRE composite percentile of 63%
- A wide variety of experience with both large and small animals
- Experience working for several veterinarians (No specific number of contact hours is required for admission.)
Approximately 120 students each year are accepted to the professional program leading to the DVM degree.
- Approximately 80 are Illinois resident applicants
- Approximately 40 are non-resident applicants