African swine fever: The threat posed by this viral disease may sound remote, given its African origin and its health threat limited to domestic pigs. Nevertheless, ASF is near the top of the list of animal diseases that global ...
Only laboratory tests can identify the virus causing Chicago’s kennel cough outbreak Update, March 27: The canine influenza virus has been identified in at least three of the Chicago area cases, according to information from the ...
Arteriviruses in pigs, horses, mice, and apes appear to use the same non-specific protein to evade the body’s immune system From the common cold to HIV, many illnesses—in fact, more than 90 percent of human illnesses—are caused ...
Although unlikely, it is possible for MRSA to pass between people and pets. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, MRSA is one of the most common causes of human skin and soft tissue infections, and it is the ...
Our Groundbreaking Program
1st Year Highlights
- Hands-on experience starting in the first semester
- Exposure to diverse career opportunities
- Clinical skills center staffed with experienced coaches
I appreciate the wide variety of electives available to me as an Illinois veterinary student, from international veterinary medicine to exotics to business management.
2nd Year Highlights
- Seven weeks of clinical rotations combined with hands-on skills development
- Comprehensive written and practical milestone examinations
- Elective course sequences offered for seven species or areas of interests
There are vast opportunities to get involved – including the Wildlife Medical Clinic and numerous student clubs. I noticed the friendly, helpful, ‘work-together’ atmosphere at Illinois right away!
3rd Year Highlights
- Surgical instruction, with option for more surgeries in shelter medicine rotation
- Second milestone examinations to ensure readiness for clinics
- Clinical rotation year begins in March
The junior surgery lab not only allowed me to practice one of my special interests but also gave me the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of homeless pets.
4th Year Highlights
- Participation in all areas of patient care at college’s Urbana and Chicago clinics
- For-credit experiences in a variety of internship settings
- Student-designed capstone experience for the six weeks before graduation
I am excited to begin fourth-year clinics, where I can apply what I have learned in the past three years to real-life patients.