On November 25, the college hosted its annual Thanksgiving luncheon. This year, the meal was followed by the faculty and staff excellence awards program. Nine individuals were honored with awards and more than 20 were recognized for their years of service at the Urbana campus. Dean Peter Constable served as emcee for the event and presented the awards to the winners.
Dr. Stephanie Keating, clinical assistant professor in the Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine and head of the anesthesiology service in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, received the Dr. Gordon and Mrs. Helen Kruger Service Excellence Award for outstanding committee work, clinical service and continuing education.
Dr. Jing Yang, professor in the Department of Comparative Biosciences, received the Dr. Gordon and Mrs. Helen Kruger Research Excellence Award in recognition of quality and quantity of publications, research awards, and outside recognition of the nominee’s work.
Dr. Michael Spinella, professor in the Department of Comparative Biosciences, received the Dr. Gordon and Mrs. Helen Kruger All-Around Excellence Award. This is presented to the faculty member who demonstrates excellence in teaching, research, and service.
Dr. Aditi Das, associate professor in the Department of Comparative Biosciences, received the Zoetis Animal Health Award for Research Excellence, presented to a current faculty member who shows promise of attaining or has already attained national recognition.
Dr. James Lowe, professor in the Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine, director of the college’s i-Learning Center, and head of the Integrated Food Animal Management Systems section in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, received the Kuhlenschmidt Innovative Teaching Award, created in honor of professor emeritus Mark Kuhlenschmidt.
Susan Hartman, senior imaging specialist and clinical service coordinator for the imaging service in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, received the Terry and Judy Rathgeber Academic Professional Excellence Award for outstanding performance by an academic professional staff member.
Dr. Jonathan Stack, a resident in cardiology, received the Dr. Walter E. Hoffmann and Dr. Ann L. Johnson Resident Teaching Excellence Award for an outstanding graduate student or resident in training for an AVMA-recognized specialty board.
Alyssa Duncan, program coordinator at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, received the Shirley Seets Staff Excellence Award for demonstrated excellence in job performance and service.
Melinda Smith, veterinary technician in the imaging service at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, received the Dr. Robert and Lucy Graham Award for a staff member who has made outstanding contributions.
The following faculty and staff members were acknowledged for their years of service:
- Karen Nichols, Administrative Assistant, 15 years
Veterinary Medicine Administration
- Wendy Balthazor, Business and Administrative Associate, 5 years
- Patrick Fonner, Equipment Specialist II, 5 years
- Tina Olszewski, Assistant Director of IT, 5 years
- Rachel Park, Administrative Assistant, 5 years
- Carol Parker, Office Support Specialist, 5 years
- Lisa Moore, Biosecurity and Safety Office, 20 years
- Julia Shirley, Account Technician II, 20 years
Veterinary Clinical Medicine
- Rebecca Kamerer, Veterinary Technician II, 15 years
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
- Jennifer Miller, Laboratory Manager, 15 years
- Debbie Cassout, Medical Technologist III, 20 years
Veterinary Teaching Hospital
- Lindsey Crowner, Veterinary Technician I, 5 years
- Melissa Fletcher, Veterinary Technician I, 5 years
- Amanda Green, Veterinary Technician I, 5 years
- Kathryn McConnell, Veterinary Technician II, 5 years
- Kimberly Winegardner, Customer Service Representative, 5 years
- Sara Dinnin, Laboratory Animal Care Technician, 10 years
- Amanda Widick, Veterinary Technician II, 10 years
- Kimberly Byrne, Veterinary Technician III, 15 years
- Misty Croy, Veterinary Technician III, 15 years
- Marla Frisby, Laboratory Animal Care Specialist, 25 years
- Brian Woller, Laboratory Animal Care Technician, 25 years