Practitioner Updates

Faculty Spotlight: Ana Aghili, DVM, MS, DACVECC

Dr. Aghili is a clinical assistant professor in the emergency and critical care service

Tell us about your background.

I grew up in Vancouver, British Columbia, and attended the University of British Columbia for my undergraduate degree. I earned my veterinary degree from Louisi­ana State University. 

After graduation, I worked in private practice for a year before doing a rotating internship at the BluePearl in Louisville, Ky. I then completed an emergency and critical care internship at Washington State University, followed by an emergen­cy and critical care residency at Purdue University.

How did you become interested in emergency and critical care? 

I love the fast-paced environment with unpredictable cases requir­ing immediate attention. 

I also love emergency and critical care due to the dynamic nature of cases, the opportunity to make rapid and impactful decisions, and the satisfaction of helping animals in urgent situations. It re­quires quick thinking, adaptabil­ity, and a passion for saving lives under challenging circumstances. 

What are your special interests in the clinic? 

My interests are working alongside veter­inary students who bring a special energy to my days, as their enthusiasm and fresh perspectives infuse our work with vitality. 

I also enjoy connecting with clients and their pets. It’s a heartfelt experience, forg­ing bonds that can last a lifetime. 

In addition, collaborating with referral veterinarians is like diving into a treasure trove of shared expertise, where we collec­tively elevate the level of care provided.

Tell us about a favorite case of yours. 

I enjoy a variety of cases and find satis­faction in cases where I can successfully stabilize a critically ill patient. 

Whether it’s a trauma case, severe illness, or a complex medical condition, the joy comes from the ability to diagnose, inter­vene, and witness the patient’s recovery. The sense of accomplishment in turning a dire situation into a positive outcome is what I consider the most rewarding aspect of these cases.