In the News

ER Expert Advises on Choking Emergencies

Daily Herald (south suburban Chicago; April 3) – Dr. Maureen McMichael, a veterinarian at the University of Illinois Veterinary Teaching Hospital in Urbana, who is board certified in emergency and critical care, suggests trying to pull it out if the object is not too far down the animal’s throat. One exception is if the animal has swallowed string. In that case, get veterinary care before acting. “Pulling on the string could cause the taut string to rupture an intestinal wall, possibly leading to a deadly infection,” she notes.