Witola, William Harold
Principal Investigator, The Witola Laboratory of Molecular Parasitology.
1995: B.Vet.Med. (Veterinary Medicine), University of Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia.
1998: M.Sc. (Veterinary Biochemistry), University of Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia.
2001: Certificate (Advanced Molecular Protozoology), Obihiro University, Obihiro, Japan.
2005: Ph.D. (Veterinary Medical Sciences/Molecular Parasitology), Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan.
2005: Postdoctoral Fellow (Molecular Parasitology), Hokkaido University, Japan.
2005-2008: Postdoctoral Fellow (Molecular Parasitology), University of Connecticut Medical Center, Farmington, USA.
2008-2010: Postdoctoral Fellow (Molecular Parasitology), University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, USA.
The Witola laboratory’s research interests are in protozoan and nematode parasites of medical and veterinary significance, with the goal of identifying, characterizing, and validating novel molecular targets for anti-parasite drug and vaccine development, as well as deciphering host innate immune molecular mechanisms that are important in resistance to parasitic infections. The lab's current specific research projects are as follows:
1. Targeting inhibition of essential enzymes for development of novel efficacious drugs against Cryptosporidium infections.
2. Phospholipid biosynthetic and catecholamines catabolic pathways as molecular drug targets in parasitic nematodes.
3. Host-parasite molecular net-works mediating resistance to Toxoplasma and Neospora.
- VM 607 - Pathobiology II (Veterinary Parasitology)
- VM 678 - Reptile Medicine & Surgery (Parasitology section)
- VM 622 (Fall) - Research elective for DVM students
- VM 623 (Spring) - Research elective for DVM students
- PhD dissertation and Masters thesis research for graduate students
Honors and Awards
2021: Frontiers in Microbiology Outstanding Review Editor Award
2019: Visiting Faculty fellowship, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China.
2018: Zoetis (Pfizer) Animal Health Research Excellence Award, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
2018: Dr. Erwin Small Teaching Award, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
2012: Outstanding Faculty Performance Award for Research, Tuskegee University.
2012: NIH PRIDE Program – Functional Genomics Training Fellowship.
2006: Best Poster Award, XVI Molecular Parasitology Meeting, Woods Hole, USA.
2001: Monbusho Ph.D. Scholarship, Hokkaido University, Japan.
2000: JICA Training Fellowship, National Research Center for Protozoan Diseases, Japan.
Selected Service Activities
Journal Editorial Boards:
2017-2020 Editorial Board Member, Infection and Immunity (ASM)
2019-2022 Guest Editor, Frontiers in Veterinary Science
2020-date Editorial Board Member, Agrobiological Records
2020-date Editor for Parasitology Section, Animal Diseases
2020-date Guest Editor, Microorganisms (Special Issue: "Innovative Therapeutic Strategies for Negleted and Emerging Disease")
2020-date Associate Editor for Infectious Diseases, Frontiers in Microbiology, Frontiers in Immunology
2021-date: Editor, Journal of Microbiology
- 2022: Review Panel Member, USDA/NIFA/AFRI Diseases of Agricultural Animals Funding Program
- 2022: Review Panel member, Pennsylvania Department of Health Formula Grants Final Performance Review
- 2022: Ad hoc Reviewer, Egg Industry Center Grant Program
- 2018: Review Panel member, USAID Intersection of Agriculture and Livestock/Aquatic Diseases Funding Program.
- 2018-2019: Ad hoc Reviewer, USDA-NIFA-AFRI Exploratory Research Program
- 2018: Ad hoc Reviewer, FINOVI Foundation Fund for Fundamental & Translational Research in Infectious Diseases, France.
- 2017: Review Panel member, Companion Animal Research Grant Program, UIUC.
- 2015: Review Panel member, USDA-NIFA-AFRI Animal Health Program.
- 2013-date: Reviewer, National Priorities Research Program (NPRP) of the Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF).
Membership to Professional Societies:
- Member of the American Society of Microbiology
- Member of the American Society of Parasitologists
- Member of the American Association of Veterinary Parasitologists