Witola, William Harold
Principal Investigator, The Witola Laboratory of Molecular Parasitology.
1995: B.Vet.Med. (Veterinary Medicine), University of Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia.
1998: M.Sc. (Veterinary Biochemistry), University of Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia.
2001: Certificate (Advanced Molecular Protozoology), Obihiro University, Obihiro, Japan.
2005: Ph.D. (Veterinary Medical Sciences/Molecular Parasitology), Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan.
2005: Postdoctoral Fellow (Molecular Parasitology), Hokkaido University, Japan.
2005-2008: Postdoctoral Fellow (Molecular Parasitology), University of Connecticut Medical Center, Farmington, USA.
2008-2010: Postdoctoral Fellow (Molecular Parasitology), University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, USA.
The Witola laboratory’s research interests are in protozoan and nematode parasites of medical and veterinary significance, with the goal of identifying, characterizing, and validating novel molecular targets for anti-parasite drug and vaccine development, as well as deciphering host innate immune molecular mechanisms that are important in resistance to parasitic infections. The lab's current specific research projects are as follows:
1. Interrogation of gene function and identification of novel molecular drug targets in Cryptosporidium.
2. Phospholipid biosynthetic pathways as novel molecular drug targets in parasitic nematodes.
3. Host-parasite molecular networks mediating resistance to Toxoplasma gondii infection.
- VM 607 - Pathobiology II (Veterinary Parasitology)
- VM 622 (Fall) - Research elective for DVM students
- VM 623 (Spring) - Research elective for DVM students
- PhD dissertation and Masters thesis research for graduate students
2018: Zoetis (Pfizer) Animal Health Research Excellence Award, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
2018: Dr. Erwin Small Teaching Award, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
2012: Outstanding Faculty Performance Award for Research, Tuskegee University.
2012: NIH PRIDE Program – Functional Genomics Training Fellowship.
2006: Best Poster Award, XVI Molecular Parasitology Meeting, Woods Hole, USA.
2001: Monbusho Ph.D. Scholarship, Hokkaido University, Japan.
2000: JICA Training Fellowship, National Research Center for Protozoan Diseases, Japan.
Journal Editorial Boards:
2017-2020 Editorial Board Member, Infection and Immunity (ASM)
2019-date Guest Editor, Frontiers in Veterinary Science
2020-date Editorial Board Member, Agrobiological Records
2020-date Editor for Parasitology Section, Animal Diseases
2020-date Guest Editor, Microorganisms (Special Issue: "Innovative Therapeutic Strategies for Negleted and Emerging Disease")
2020-date: Associate Editor for Infectious Diseases, Frontiers in Microbiology
- 2018 Review Panel member, USAID Intersection of Agriculture and Livestock/Aquatic Diseases Funding Program.
- 2018 Adhoc Reviewer, USDA-NIFA-AFRI Exploratory Research Program
- 2018 Adhoc Reviewer, FINOVI Foundation Fund for Fundamental & Translational Research in Infectious Diseases, France.
- 2017 Review Panel member, Companion Animal Research Grant Program, UIUC.
- 2015 Review Panel member, USDA-NIFA-AFRI Animal Health Program.
- Ad hoc Reviewer for the National Priorities Research Program (NPRP) of the Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF).
- 2018-2019 Ad hoc Reviewer for USDA-NIFA-AFRI Exploratory Research Program
Membership to Professional Societies:
- Member of the American Society of Microbiology
- Member of the American Society of Parasitologists
- Member of the American Association of Veterinary Parasitologists