McCoy, Annette Marie
Associate Professor, Equine Surgery
Associate Professor, Beckman Institute
Associate Professor, Beckman Institute
1008 W Hazelwood Dr
M/C 004Urbana, IL 61802
- BS, Animal Science, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- MS, Clinical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- PhD, Comparative and Molecular Biosciences, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN
- DVM, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons, 2011
- Internship, Large Animal Medicine and Surgery, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN
- Residency, Equine Surgery, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Computational Genetics, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN
- Identifying genetic factors that play a role in performance and orthopedic disease in the horse; specifically osteochondrosis, osteoarthritis, and the development of alternative gait patterns
- Amnion and wound healing
- USDA Hatch Multistate Funds FY19; Prioritization of Candidate Risk Genes for Equine Osteochondrosis; Principal Investigator; $15,000 (12/1/2018-9/30/2019)
- Morris Animal Foundation; Biomechanical and Genetic Risk Factors for Osteochondrosis in Standardbred Pacers and Trotters; Principal Investigator; $81,305 (4/1/2016-9/30/2019)
- Companion Animal Research Grant Program; Single Dose Pharmacokinetics of Misoprostol in Horses; Principal Investigator; $13,240 (5/1/18-5/31/19)
- Companion Animal Research Grant Program; Changes in Equine Bone Structure, Composition, and Loading During Growth; $8,600 (5/1/18-5/31/19)
Completed (at Illinois):
- Companion Animal Research Grant Program; Evaluation of the Normal Regression of the Internal Umbilical Remnant in Foals; Co-investigator; $6,615 (1/1/2017-12/31/2018)
- USDA Hatch Funds FY18; Genetic Markers of Early Equine Osteoarthritis; Principal Investigator; $18,432 (12/1/17-9/30/18)
- USDA Hatch Multistate Funds; Investigation of Candidate Genes Underlying Alternative Gaits in Horses; Principal Investigator; $15,000 (12/1/17-9/30/18)
- Campus Research Board Grant; Ontogenic changes in limb biomechanics and gait in horses; Co-investigator; $20,000 (3/1/17-8/31/18)
- Companion Animal Research Grant Program; Training Effects in Metatarsophalangeal Joints with Plantar Osteochondral Fragments; Principal Investigator; $13,534 (1/1/2017-9/30/2018)
- USDA Hatch Funds FY17; Effects of Preparation Method and Long-Term Storage on Equine Amnion; Principal Investigator; $32,588 (12/1/16-9/30/17)
- University of Illinois College of Agriculture, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences (ACES) Undergraduate Research Scholars Program; The Effect of Training in Metacarpophalangeal Joints of Standardbred Horses with Plantar Proximal Phalanx Osteochondral Fragmentation; Mentor; $1,840 (5/15/2016-6/30/2017)
- USDA Hatch Funds; Investigation of Biomechanical and Genetic Risk Factors for Hock Osteochondrosis; Principal Investigator; $28,000 (11/1/2015 – 9/20/2016)
- USDA Section 1433 Animal Health and Disease; A Transcriptomics Approach to Investigating Developmental Orthopedic Disease; Principal Investigator; $14,950 (11/1/2015 – 7/31/2016)
- Provost’s Initiative on Teaching Advancement (PITA) Grant (University of Illinois); Development of an Interactive Three-Dimensional Model for Teaching Veterinary Anatomy; Principal Investigator; $7,500 (9/1/2015 – 6/30/2016)
- Morris Animal Foundation; Validation of Putative Genetic Risk Alleles for Osteochondrosis in Standardbreds; Principal Investigator; $10,768 (1/1/2015 – 12/31/2015)
- McCoy AM, Smith RL, Secor SJ, Roady PJ. 2018. Effects of two preparation methods and long-term storage on structural integrity and bacterial loads of equine amnion. Vet Surg Accepted.
- McCoy AM, Norton EM, Kemper AM, Beeson SK, Mickelson JR, McCue ME. 2018. SNP-based heritability and genetic architecture of tarsal osteochondrosis in North American Standardbred horses. Anim Genet 2018 Oct 24. doi: 10.1111/age.12738 [Epub ahead of print].
- Gutierrez-Nibeyro SD, McCoy AM, Selberg KT. 2018 Recent advances in conservative and surgical treatment options of common equine foot problems. Vet J 237:9-15.
- McCue ME, McCoy AM. 2017. The scope of big data in one medicine: unprecedented opportunities and challenges. Front Vet Sci. 4:194.
- Schaefer RJ, Schubert M, Bailey E, Bannasch DL, Barrey E, Bar-Gal GK, Brem G, Brooks SA, Distl O, Fries R, Finno CJ, Gerber V, Haase B, Jagannathan V, Kalbfleisch T, Leeb T, Lindgren G, Lopes MS, Mach N, Machado AC, Macleod JN, McCoy A, Metzger J, Penedo C, Polani S, Rieder S, Tammen I, Tetens J, Thaller G, Verini-Supplizi A, Wade CM, Wallner B, Orlando L, Mickelson JR, McCue ME. 2017. Developing a 670k genotyping array to tag ~2M SNPs across 24 horse breeds. BMC Genomics. 18(1):565.
- Norton EM, Mickelson JR, Binns MM, Blott SC, Caputo P, Isgren CN, McCoy AM, Moore A, Piercy JE, Vaudin M, McCue ME. Heritability of recurrent exertional rhabdomyolysis in Standardbred and Thoroughbred racehorses derived from SNP genotyping data. J Hered 2016;107:537-543.
- McCoy AM, Beeson SK, Lykkjen S, Ralston SL, Mickelson JR, McCue ME. 2016. Identification and validation of risk loci for osteochondrosis in Standardbreds. BMC Genomics 17:41. DOI:10.1186/s12864-016-2385-z.
- McCoy AM. 2015. Animal models of osteoarthritis: comparisons and key considerations. Vet Path 52:803-818. DOI:10.1177/0300985815588611. PMID: 26063173.
- McCoy AM, Ralston SL, McCue ME. 2015. Short- and long-term performance of Standardbred pacers and trotters after early surgical intervention for tarsal osteochondrosis. Equine Vet J 47:438-444. DOI: 10.1111/evj.12297. PMCID: 4229490.
- McCoy AM, McCue ME. 2014. Validation of imputation between equine genotyping arrays. Anim Genet 45:153 DOI: 10.1111/age.12093. PMCID: 4000747.
- McCoy AM, Schaefer R, Petersen JL, Morrell PL, Slamka MA, Mickelson JR, Valberg SJ, McCue ME. 2014. Evidence of positive selection for a glycogen synthase (GYS1) mutation in domestic horse populations. J Hered 105:163-172. DOI: 10.1093/jhered/est075. PMCID: 3920812.
- McCoy AM, Toth F, Dolvik NI, Ekman S, Ellemann J, Olstad K, Ytrehus B, Carlson CS. 2013. Articular osteochondrosis: a comparison of naturally-occurring human and animal disease. Osteoarthritis Cart 21:1638-1647. DOI: 10.1016/j.joca.2013.08.011. PMCID:3815567.
- McCoy AM, Goodrich LR. 2011. Use of radiofrequency probe for tenoscopic-guided annular ligament desmotomy. Equine Vet J 44:412-415. DOI: 10.1111/j.2042-3306.2011.00454.x. PMID: 21848530.
- McCoy AM, Hackett ES, Wagner AE, Mama KR, Hendrickson DA. 2010. Pulmonary Gas Exchange and Plasma Lactate in Horses with Gastrointestinal Disease Undergoing Emergency Exploratory Laparotomy: A Comparison with An Elective Surgery Patient Population. Vet Surg 40:601-609. DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-950X.2011.00840.x. PMID: 21539581.
- McCoy AM, Hackett ES, Callan RJ, Powers BE. 2009. Alimentary-associated carcinomas in five Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 235:1336-1341. DOI: 10.2460/javma.235.11.1336. PMID: 19951106.
- Freeman LC, Narvaez DF, McCoy A, von Stein FB, Young S, Silver K, Ganta S, Koch D, Hunter R, Gilmour RF, Lillich JD. 2007. Depolarization and decreased surface expression of K+ channels contribute to NSAID-inhibition of intestinal restitution. Biochem Pharmacol 74:74-85. DOI: 10.1016/j.bcp.2007.03.030. PMCID: 3269908.
Honors and Awards
- Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 2013-2014
- NIH T32 Training Grant in Comparative Medicine and Pathology (Univ of Minnesota) 2010-13
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund ‘Becoming Faculty’ Workshop Invited Participant, August 2013
- Council of Graduate Students Travel Award, University of Minnesota, June 2013
- Vaughn Larson Scholarship Award, University of Minnesota, June 2012
- AAEP Foundation Past Presidents’ Research Fellow 2011, November 2011
- ACVS Resident’s Forum, 2nd place, Large Animal Clinical Research Presentations, October 2010
- Mitzy H. Yount Memorial Scholarship, Colorado State University, 2009-10
- J.P. Hutton-W.F. Riley Equine Award, Michigan State University, Spring 2006
- Phi Zeta Award, Michigan State University, Spring 2006.
- CVM Alumni Council Student Leadership Award, Michigan State University, Spring 2006.
- Theriogenology Award, Michigan State University, Spring 2006.
- Phi Zeta Research Day, Best Oral Presentation by a Vet. Student, Michigan State University, Fall 2004.
- Richard Lee Featherstone Society Prize, Michigan State University, Spring 2002
- Alumni Distinguished Scholarship, Michigan State University, 1999 – 2003
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Association of Equine Practitioners
- The Society of Phi Zeta, Zeta Chapter
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- Veterinary Orthopedic Society