Directory ProfileCampus Directory
Tisha Adele Maria Harper
Clinical Assistant Professor, Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Service Head, Orthopedics and Rehabilitation
Service Head, Orthopedics and Rehabilitation
Address and Contact Information
1008 W. Hazelwood Drive
M/C 004Urbana, IL 61802
- Master of Science, Veterinary Medical Sciences - 2003, Virginia-Maryland (VA-MD) Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Blacksburg, VA, USA.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine - 1995, School of Veterinary Medicine, The University of the West Indies (UWI), St. Augustine, Trinidad West Indies.
- Residency - Small Animal Surgery – 2000-2003, VA-MD Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Blacksburg, VA, USA.
- Internship - Small Animal Surgery – 1996-2000, School of Veterinary Medicine, The University of the West Indies (UWI), St. Augustine, Trinidad West Indies.
- Assistant Professor, Small Animal Surgery: July 2006 – 2012. Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Blacksburg, VA, USA.
- Program Director – American College of Veterinary Surgeons – 2011-present
- Lecturer – Small Animal Surgery: 2003 – 2006. School of Veterinary Medicine, The University of the West Indies (UWI), Trinidad West Indies,
- Small Animal Surgery Resident: 2000 – 2003. VA-MD Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Blacksburg, VA, USA.
- Assistant Lecturer – Veterinary Surgery: 1999- 2000. School of Veterinary Medicine, The University of the West Indies (UWI), Trinidad West Indies.
- Veterinary Officer: 1998 – 1999. Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Marine Resources, Government of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Veterinary Clinician: 1996 – 1998. Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mount Hope,Trinidad West Indies.
- Veterinary Clinician: 1995 – 1996 (Full time), 1996 – 2000 and 2003-2006 (Part time). Fiddlers Dream Veterinary Clinic, Arima, Trinidad West Indies.
- Johnson K, Lanz O, Elder S, McLaughlin R, Were S, Harper T. The effect of stifle angle on cranial tibial translation following tibial plateau leveling osteotomy: An in vitroexperimental analysis. Canadian Vet Journal, September 2011: 52: 961-966.
- Harper TA, Jones JC, Saunders GK, Daniel GB, LeRoith T, Rossmeissl E. Sensitivity of low-field T2 images for detecting the presence and severity of histopathologic meniscal lesions. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound 2011, July-Aug; 52(4): 428-35.
- Aulakh KS, Harper TAM, Lanz OI, Daniel GB, Were SI. Effect of stifle angle on themagnitude of the tibial plateau angle measurement in dogs with intact and transected cranial cruciate ligament. Veterinary Comparative Orthopedics and Traumatology 2011, 24; 272 – 278.
- Aulakh KS, Harper TA, Horowitz FB, Tyson R. What is your diagnosis? (Mediastinal cyst in a dog). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2011, March 15;238(6): 699-700.
- Grant DC, Harper TAM, Werre ST. Frequency of incomplete urolith removal,complications, and diagnostic imaging following cystotomy for removal of uroliths from 3 the lower urinary tract in dogs: 128 cases (1994-2006). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2010, April 1; 236 (7): 763-766.
- King JB, Jones JC, Rossmeisl JH, Harper TA, Lanz OI, Werre SR. Effect of multiplanarCT image reformatting on surgeon diagnostic performance for localizingthoracolumbar disc extrusions in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Science 2009, Vol. 10,No.3: 225-232.
- Harper T, Miller J, Filipowicz D. What is your diagnosis? (Chondrosarcoma of thedistal femur in a dog). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2008,March 1; 232 (5): 681 – 682.
- Harper TAM, Martin RA, Ward DL, Grant JW. An In Vitro Study to Determine the Effectiveness of a Patellar Ligament/Fascia Lata Graft and New Tibial Suture AnchorPoints for Extracapsular Stabilization of the Cranial Cruciate Ligament-Deficient Stifle in the Dog. Veterinary Surgery 2004; 33:531-541.
- Burgos-Rodriguez AG, Forrester SD, Larson MM, Harper TA, Karnik PS. What is your diagnosis? Esophageal foreign body. Journal of the American Veterinary MedicalAssociation 2003, Jul 1; 223 (1): 43- 4.
- Harper TAM – Osteomyelitis. In: Tilley LP, Francis WK (Eds). Blackwell’s Five -Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline, 5th Ed. Wiley-Blackwell, 2011: 921-922.
Honors and Awards
- Pfizer Distinguished Teaching Award nomination – class of 2012 – September 2011
- 2009 – Office of the Vice President of Research – Scholar of the week – October 19th – VA-MD Regional College of Veterinary Medicine.
- 2008 – Bayer Animal Health Faculty Recognition Award – VA-MD Regional College of Veterinary Medicine.
- 2002 – 2003: Graduate Assistantship - VA-MD Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, USA.
- 2000 – 2002: Fulbright-LASPAU Scholarship.
- 1997 -Outstanding performance (employee) – Veterinary Department – Central Regional Health Authority, Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex.
- 1990 – 1995: Government Sponsorship for the study of Veterinary Medicine at School of Veterinary Medicine (UWI), Trinidad West Indies.
- Veterinary Orthopedic Society – 2009 – present.
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons – 2005 – present.
- Executive committee member of the Fulbright Alumni Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FAATT), 2003 – 2004, with continued membership for 2004-present.
- Trinidad and Tobago Veterinary Medical Association – 1995 – present.
- Patellofemoral contact characteristics in normal, cruciate deficient and TTA treated stifles. Role: Co-I PI: Lanz O, D’Amico L Co-I: McLaughlin R. Source: Virginia Veterinary Medical Association – Veterinary Memorial Fund Grant. Amount: $16,350. Period: 2011 - 2012.
- Aulakh K, Harper T, Lanz O, McLaughlin R. Effect of attachment sites of lateral suture stabilization on stifle biomechanics throughout the stance phase of gait: An in vitro study. 2011 – ongoing.