Directory ProfileCampus Directory
Address and Contact Information
- DVM, Sao Paulo State University (2000-2004).
- MS in Veterinary Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida (2007-2009).
- Ph.D. in Animal Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Science, University of Florida (2009-2013).
- Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Science, Cornel University (2013-2014)
- Diplomate at American College of Theriogenology, 2018.
- Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Cornell University (2013-2014). Research focused on uterine uterine microbiome, rumen microbiome, dairy cattle health and reproduction.
- Resident in food animal reproduction and medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida (2006-2009).
- Intern/research assistant in dairy reproduction, nutrition and health, Veterinary Medicine Teaching Research Center in Tulare, CA, School of Veterinary Medicine, Davis, CA (2005-2006).
- Research assitant, Department of Dairy Science. University of Wisconsin, in reproductive management, physiology and Endocrinology at Wiltbank's lab (2004).
I believe that the higher education in veterinary medicine is based on integration of basic knowledge, clinical experience, and cuting edge scientific knowledge, all immersed in highly interactive activities that foster critical thinking and hand-on experience that support development of lifelong skills.
- Dr. Lima received his veterinary degree at Sao Paulo State University in 2004. In 2005, he did an internship focused on dairy production medicine, reproduction, and nutrition at the Veterinary Medicine Teaching and Research Center at Tulare (University of California-Davis). In 2009 he did a combined residency in food animal medicine and reproduction and Master in veterinary sciences focused on reproductive management, at University of Florida. In 2013 he earned a PhD in Animal Sciences at University of Florida working with uterine health and estrous cycle synchronization in dairy heifers.
- Dr. Fabio Lima joined the Farm Animal section in August of 2014, coming from the Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences from Cornell University, where he completed a postdoctoral training focused on uterine diseases pathogenesis and rumen microbiome associations with production traits
- Currently, Dr. Lima provides services on estrous cycle synchronization, breeding soundness evaluations of male and female domesticated livestock, pregnancy diagnosis, ultrasonographic evaluation of reproductive tract, embryo collection and transfer, management of obstetrical cases including high-risk pregnancies and dystocias, and assistance on implementation of sustainable herd health and reproductive management.
- Dr. Lima research laboratory investigates the interplay between uterine microbiome and host immune response on pathogenesis of uterine diseases; stewardship of antimicrobial use on mastitis; rumen microbiome associations with production traits and sutainability among, biological effects of NGF-beta on regualtion of reproduction in cattle.
- Core Theriogenology course (VM 609, VM 610)
- Advanced Comparative Theriogenology (VCM 592)
- Advanced Andrology (VCM 593)
- Reproductive Pysiology (VM 604)
- Equine surgery (VCM 584)
Ellerbrock RE, IF Canisso, PJ Roady, LT Rothrock, L Zhong, PA Wilkins, L Dirikolu, FS Lima, J Honorato. 2019. Diffusion of enrofloxacin to pregnancy fluids and effects on fetal cartilage after intravenous administration to late pregnant mares. Eq Vet J. DOI: 10.1111/evj.13044.
Stewart JL, IF Canisso, RE Ellerbrock, VRG Mercadante, FS Lima. 2018. Nerve Growth Factor-β production in the bull: Gene expression, immunolocalization, seminal plasma consti- tution, and association with sire conception rates. Ani. Rep. Sci. DOI: 10.1016/j.anirepro- sci.2018.09.006.
Greco LF, JT Neves Neto, A Pedrico, FS Lima, RS Bisinotto, N Martinez, ES Ribeiro, WW Thatcher, CR Staples, and JEP Santos. 2018 Effects of altering the ratio of dietary n-6 to n- 3 fatty acids on spontaneous luteolysis in lactating dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. DOI: 10.3168/jds.2018-15065.
Ellerbrock RE, IF Canisso, PJ Roady, B Curcio, FS Lima, Li J. 2018. Enrofloxacin and Its Active Metabolite Ciprofloxacin Cross the Equine Placenta and Did not Cause Lesions in the Ar- ticular Surface of the Fetuses and Foals. J Eq Vet Sci 66:232
Bonsaglia ECR, NCC Silva, BF Rossi, CH Camargo, STA Dantas, H Langoni, FS Lima , JR Fitzgerald, A Fernandes, VRL Rall. Molecular epidemiology of methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA) isolated from milk of cows with subclinical mastitis. Microbial Pathogenesis DOI: 10.1016/j.micpath.2018.08.031
Ellerbrock RE, J Honorato, BR Curcio, JL Stewart, JAT Souza, C Love, FS Lima, Canisso IF. Effects of urine contamination on stallion semen freezing ability. Theriogenology. In press. doi. org/10.1016/j.theriogenology. 2018.05.010.
Lima FS. 2018. Update on Managing Uterine Diseases. Review. Proceedings of Western Canadian Dairy Symposium. 30:283-295.
Stewart JL, Shipley CH, Ellerbrock RE, Lima FS, Canisso IF. 2018. Physiological variations in reproductive and metabolic features of white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) bucks throughout the rutting season. Theriogenology. DOI: 10.1016/j.theriogenol- ogy.2018.04.015.
Ferreira JC, MS Gomes, ECR Bonsaglia, IF Canisso, EF Garret, JL Stewart, Z Zhou, FS Lima. Comparative analysis of four commercial on-farm culture methods to identify bacteria as- sociated with clinical mastitis in dairy cattle. Plos One 2018; 13(3): e019211. Doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0194211.eCollection 2018.
Ellerbrock RE, IF Canisso, FS Lima, CF Shipley, DL Thompson, AJ Conley, KH Kline. 2018. Endocrine and metabolic profile of peripubertal Standardbred colts. Theriogenology. In press. doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2018.05.006.
Stewart JL, CH Shipley CH, RE Ellerbrock, FS Lima, Canisso IF. 2018. Variation in post-thaw sperm quality of white-tailed deer bucks (Odocoileus virginianus) during rut. Animal Reproduction Science. In press. Doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2018.05.014.
Jeon SJ, FS Lima, A Vieira-Neto, VS Machado, SF Lima, RC Bicalho, JEP Santos, KN Galvao. 2018. Shift of uterine microbiota associated with antibiotic treatment and cure of metritis in dairy cows. Vet Microb 214:132-139.
Stewart JL, VRG Mercadante, NW Dias, IF Caniso, P Yau, B Imai, FS Lima. 2017. Nerve Growth Factor-Beta, purified from bull seminal plasma, enhances corpus luteum formation and conceptus development in Bos taurus cows. Theriogenology. DOI: 10.1016/j.theri- ogenology.2017.10.007.
Bonsaglia ECR, MS Gomes, IF Canisso, Z Zhou, SV Lima, VLM Rall, G Oikonomou, RC Bicalho, FS Lima. 2017. Milk microbiome and bacterial load following dry cow therapy without antibiotics in dairy cows with healthy mammary gland. Sci. Rep. DOI: 10.1038/s41598- 017-08790-5.
Ferreira JC, LF Novaes Filho Boakari YL, H Canesin, DL Thompson, FS Lima, C Meira. 2017. Hemodynamics of the corpus luteum in mares during experimentally impaired luteogene- sis and partial luteolysis. DOI: 10.1016/j.theriogenology.2017.10.045.
Walsh J, A Holman, FS Lima, R Smith, GO Oikonomou. 2017. A randomised clinical trial evaluating the effect of different timing and number of fixed timed artificial inseminations, following a 7-day progesterone-based protocol, on pregnancy outcomes in UK dairy heifers. Vet Rec. doi: 10.1136/vr.104369.
Boakari YL, JC Ferreira, H Canesin, DL Thompson, FS Lima, JCF Pantoja, C Meira. Influence of two ovulation-inducing agents on the pituitary response and follicle blood flow in mares. Theriogenology. DOI: 10.1016/j.theriogenology.2017.05.032.
Bicalho MLS, VS Machado, CH Higgins, FS Lima, Bicalho RC. 2017. Genetic and functional analysis of the bovine uterine microbiota. Part I: Metritis versus Healthy. J. Dairy Sci. DOI: 10.3168/jds.2016-12058.
Bicalho MLS, SF Lima, CH Higgins, VS Machado, FS Lima, Bicalho RC. 2017. Genetic and functional analysis of the bovine uterine microbiota. Part II: Purulent vaginal discharge ver- sus healthy cows. J. Dairy Sci. DOI: 10.3168/jds.2016-12061.
Machado VS, R Neves, FS Lima, and RC Bicalho. 2017. The effect of Presynch-Ovsynch pro- tocol with or without estrus detection on reproductive performance by parity, and the long- term effect of these different management strategies on milk production, reproduction, health and survivability of dairy cows. Theriogenology DOI: 10.1016/j.theriogenol- ogy.2017.01.041.
Ellerbrock R, M Prel, JS Stewart, MS Bojko, FS Lima, IF Canisso. 2016. Comparison of Centrifugation and noncentrifugation methods to cryopreserve Stallion epididymal semen. J Eq Vet Sci. DOI: 10.1016/j.jevs.2016.11.005.
Stewart JL, RE Ellerbrock, Schlafer D, FS Lima, IF Canisso. 2016. Histologic features of accessory sex glands throughout equine development. J Eq. Vet. Sci. 43:S74.
Lima SF, AG Teixeira, FS Lima, H Higgins, and RC Bicalho. 2016. The upper respiratory tract microbiome and its potential role in bovine respiratory disease and otitis media. Sci. Rep. 6:29050.
Ganda EK; RS Bisinotto, R Vasquez, A Kristin, AGV Teixeira, VS Machado, C Foditsch MLS Bicalho, FS Lima, Stephens L, Gomez MS; Martins JD, Bicalho RC. 2016. Effects of injectable trace mineral supplementation in lactating dairy cows with elevated somatic cell counts. J Dairy Sci. DOI: 10.3168/jds.2016-10989.
Ribeiro ES, APA Monteiro, RS Bisinotto, FS Lima, LF Greco, AD Ealy, WW Thatcher, and JEP Santos. 2016. Conceptus development and transcriptome at preimplantation stages in lactating dairy cows of distinct genetic groups and estrous cyclic statuses. J. Dairy Sci. 99:4761-4777.
Vieira-Neto A, FS Lima, JEP Santos, R Mingoti, G Vasconcellos, C Risco, Carlos; KN Galvao. 2016 Klibs Vulvovaginal laceration as a risk factor for uterine disease in postpartum dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. J Dairy Sci. 99:4629-4637.
Stewart JL, CF Shipley, AS Katich, E Po, RE Ellerbrock, FS Lima, IF Canisso. 2016 Cryopreservation of white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) semen using soybean-, liposome-, and egg yolk-based extenders. Anim Reprod. pii: S0378-4320(16)30223-8.
Ribeiro ES, LF Greco, RS Bisinotto, FS Lima, WW Thatcher, JE Santos. 2016. Biology of the Preimplantation at the Onset of Elongation in Dairy Cows. Biol Reprod. pii. biolre- prod.115.134908.
Ellerbrock R, I Canisso, FS Lima, CS Shipley, K Kline. 2016. Diagnosis and effects of urospermia in stallions. Theriogenology. pii: S0093-691X (15)00675-5
Ribeiro ES, G Gomes, LF Greco, RLA Cerri, A Vieira-Neto, PLJ Monteiro Jr., FS Lima, RS Bisinotto, WW Thatcher, and JEP Santos. 2016. Carryover Impact of Postpartum Inflamma- tory Diseases on Developmental Biology and Fertility in Lactating Dairy Cows. J. Dairy Sci. 99:2201-2220.
Bicalho MLS, FS Lima, VS Machado, Eb Meira Jr., EK Ganda, C. Foditsch, RC Bicalho, and RO Gilbert. 2015. Associations among Trueperella pyogenes, endometritis diagnosis, and pregnancy outcomes in dairy cows. Theriogenology 85:267-274.
Characterization of Rumen Microbiome Structure and Function throughout lactation and its association with Health and Productivity. China Scholarship Council - Two-year PhD scholarship on behalf of Ziyao Zhou. (2015-2017).
Evaluation of Selective Dry Cow Therapy for Prevention and Treatment of Mastitis and Milk Microbiome in Holstein Dairy Cows. FAPESP (São Paulo, Brazil) - One-year PhD scholarship on behalf of Erika Romão (2016).
Uterine microbiome structural and functional profile of healthy and metritic treated cows. Animal Health and Disease Research, $24,300.00 (2014-2016)
- Effects of an injectable trace minerals supplement containing copper, manganese, selenium and zinc on conceptus development and fertility of dairy cows. Co-PI - $115,368 (2014).
- Intramural Research Grant ($ 10,000.00) at the College of Veterinary Medicine at University of Florida (2011).
- Resident Research Grant ($5,000.00), University of California-Davis, College of Veterinary Medicine, 2006/2007.
Honors and Awards
- PhD student of the year 2013 in the Department of Animal Sciences at University of Florida.
- Fellowship for PhD students at the University of Florida Department of Animal Sciences, 2009-2013
- Predoctoral fellowship at the University of Florida Department of Animal Sciences, 2009-2010.
- Research Assistantship, University of Wisconsin-Madison, June 2004-November 2004.
- Scholarship for Special Training Program at Sao Paulo State University, 2001-2004.
- Society for Theriogenology
- American Dairy Science Association
- American Association of Bovine Practitioners
- American Association for the Advancement of Sciences
- Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society