Directory ProfileCampus Directory
Address and Contact Information
2001 South Lincoln
M/C 002Urbana, IL 61802
- PhD in Population Medicine & Epidemiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada
- MSc in Population Medicine & Epidemiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada
- MSc in Applied Veterinary Epidemiology, University of Agricultural Science and Veterinary Medicine, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- DVM, University of Agricultural Science and Veterinary Medicine, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine
- College of Veterinarians of Ontario licensed
- Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates Certificate, American Veterinary Medical Association, Schaumburg, IL
- North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) certified
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, School of Public Health and Health Systems, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Associated Graduate Faculty, Department of Pathobiology & Department of Population Medicine, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
- Graduate Research Assistant, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
- Graduate Research Assistant, Federal Student Work Experience Program, Public Health Agency of Canada, Laboratory for Foodborne Zoonoses, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
- Lead Veterinarian, Animal Health and Welfare, Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
- Veterinarian Consultant, Public Health Division, Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Associate Veterinarian, Burgess Animal Hospital, Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
- Spatial epidemiology and disease ecology
- Modelling the spread of infectious diseases at the interface of humans, animals and the environment
- Antimicrobial resistance determinants of commensal and pathogenic bacteria
- Evaluating the incidence and risk factors of food-borne pathogens (i.e. Salmonella, Campylobacter, E. coli)
- Health and disease in wildlife
- View Dr. Varga's publications in PubMed.
- Dr. Varga's research program evaluates infectious diseases at the interface of humans, animals, and the environment by assessing geographic differences in disease rates and investigating their environmental, genetic, socioeconomic, and demographic risk factors.
To achieve their goals they use maps, data synthesis, statistical methods, and spatio-temporal models to identify significant patterns and forecast future conditions. Their research findings aid human and animal health stakeholders in reducing illnesses and ensuring optimal health.
- Varga C, Guerin MT, Brash ML, Slavic D, Boerlin P, Susta L. Antimicrobial resistance in Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli isolated from small poultry flocks in Ontario, Canada: A two-year surveillance study. PLoS One. 2019 Aug 29;14(8):e0221429. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0221429. eCollection 2019
- Varga C, Pearl DL, McEwen SA, Sargeant JM, Pollari F, Guerin MT. Area-level global and local clustering of human Salmonella Enteritidis infection rates in the city of Toronto, Canada, 2007-2009. BMC Infect Dis. 2015 Aug 21;15:359. doi: 10.1186/s12879-015-1106-6.
- Varga C, Pearl DL, McEwen SA, Sargeant JM, Pollari F, Guerin MT. Evaluating area-level spatial clustering of Salmonella Enteritidis infections and their socioeconomic determinants in the greater Toronto area, Ontario, Canada (2007 - 2009): a retrospective population-based ecological study. BMC Public Health. 2013 Nov 15;13:1078. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-13-1078.
- Varga C, Rajić A, McFall ME, Reid-Smith RJ, Deckert AE, Checkley SL, McEwen SA. Associations between reported on-farm antimicrobial use practices and observed antimicrobial resistance in generic fecal Escherichia coli isolated from Alberta finishing swine farms. Prev Vet Med. 2009 Mar 1;88(3):185-92. doi: 10.1016/j.prevetmed.2008.10.002.