Directory ProfileCampus Directory
Gutierrez Nibeyro, Santiago Daniel
Service Head, Equine Medicine, Surgery & Theriogenology
Address and Contact Information
- D.V.M. National University of La Plata (Argentina)
- M.S. Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation
Residency in Equine Surgery, Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center
- The study of novel treatments for horses affected by foot injuries
- The use of MRI to detect and characterize musculosketal injuries
- Lameness in sports horses and their related musculoskeletal injuries
- Minimally invasive surgical procedures (arthroscopy, endoscopy and laparoscopy)
- Trans-endoscopic laser upper-airway surgery
- Gait analysis
Dr. Gutierrez-Nibeyro graduated with honors from the National University of La Plata (Argentina) in 2001. After graduation, he worked in private practice in Argentina and Indiana. He completed rotating equine internships in private practice (Alamo Pintado Equine Medical Center) from 2003 to 2004 and in academia (Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center) from 2004 to 2005. Following the completion of his internships, Dr. Gutierrez-Nibeyro fulfilled an equine surgery residency at Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center in 2008. Dr. Gutierrez-Nibeyro also pursued and completed a MS in medical treatment of foot pathologies diagnosed with magnetic resonance imaging at the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Gutierrez-Nibeyro earned board certifications in equine surgery (2009) and equine sports medicine and rehabilitation (2014).
Teaching and learning in the medical field is a dynamic process where both parties involved should strive for academic excellence and superior patient care. Reaching these goals will ultimately improve animal health care and promote our profession.
- General large animal surgery
- Specialized large animal surgery
- Advanced equine lameness
- Current concepts in comparative surgery
Honors and Awards
- "Joaquin B. Gonzalez" Award given by the La Plata Council to the 10 highest ranking students.
- University of Illinois List of Excellent Professors, Fall 2009, Spring 2012, Spring 2013, Spring 2014, Spring 2015.
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabiliation
- Veterinary Orthopedic Society
- Fellow of the College of Veterinary Medicine 's Teaching Academy 2009-2011
- ACVS Resident Credentialing Committee Member 2013-present
Equine, surgery, orthopedic injuries, MRI