Directory ProfileCampus Directory
Lundberg, Alycen Paige
Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Address and Contact Information
- DVM, University of Minnesota Twin Cities, Saint Paul, MN
- BS, University of Minnesota Twin Cities, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MN
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Medical Oncology)
Feline oral squamous cell carcinoma (FOSCC) is a devastating cancer that too many pet cats suffer from each year. Current therapies do not provide more than an average of 3 months survival time, and new treatments are desperately needed. My research focus for my PhD is on targeted therapy for FOSCC with a novel anti-cancer agent that specifically works by targeting certain enzymes that are found in this cancer type.
Dr. Lundberg received her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree at the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine in 2012. She then completed a one year Small Animal Rotating Internship at Iowa State University in 2013. Following completion of the internship, she obtained a residency in medical oncology at the University of Illinois and completed this in 2016. Throughout her residency, she worked on a Master of Science degree; however, chose not to complete this and instead enrolled into the PhD program to continue her work at a more involved and deeper level.
From 2016-2018, she stayed at the University of Illinois working on her PhD as well as providing clinical service on the medical oncology service as an instructor overseeing veterinary students in their clinical year, as well as training residents and interns. In early 2019, Dr. Lundberg then accepted a faculty position at the University of Illinois as an Assistant Professor of Medical Oncology in the Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine. She will continue working towards completion of her PhD while in this position.
Dr. Lundberg is one of three investigators in the Comparative Oncology Reserach Laboratory in the Small Animal Clinical within the Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine.
- Medicine and Surgery II (oncology lectures)
- Medicine and Surgery III (oncology lectures)
- Medical Oncology Clinical Rotations
- Winn Feline Foundation Grant: Targeted Therapy for Feline Pulmonary Carcinoma.
- Companion Animal Research Grant: Enhancing the Treatment of Bone-Invasive Feline Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma by Combining Radiation Therapy with Zoledronate.
- Morris Animal Foundation Grant: Targeted therapy for feline pulmonary carcinoma through exploitation of preferential NQO1 expressions and the drug isobutyl-deoxynyboquinone (IB-DNQ).
- Characterizing the pharmacokinetics and tolerability of 2 novel DNQ analogues in beagle dogs.
- Investigating the pharmacokinetics, tolerability, and anti-cancer activity of IB-DNQ and DNQ analogues in the domestic cat.
- Dorbandt DM, Lundberg AP, Roady PJ, Hamor RE. Surgical excision of a feline orbital lacrimal gland adenocarcinoma with adjunctive cryotherapy and carboplatin-impregnated bead implantation. Vet Ophthalmol 2018; 21(4):419-425.
- Lundberg AP, Francis J, Pojak M, Parkinson E, Wycislo K, Rosol TJ, London C, Dirikolu L, Hergenrother PJ, Fan TM. Pharmacokinetics and derivation of an anticancer dosing regimen for the novel anti-cancer agent isobutyl-deoxynyboquinone (IB-DNQ) in healthy cats. Invest New Drugs 2017; 35:2, 134-144.
- Lundberg AP, Roady PJ, Somrak AJ, Howes ME, Fan TM. Zoledronate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw in a dog with appendicular osteosarcoma. J Vet Intern Med 2016; 30:1235-1240.
- Kieves NR, Lundberg AP, Wilke VL. Comparative gene approach to the investigation of SNPs within the tenascin-c gene in Achilles tendon injury in the canine patient. Veterinary Evidence 2016; 1(3):1-9.
- Slovak JE, Wang C, Morrison JA, Deitz KL, LeVine DN, Otoni C, King RR, Gerber LE, Hanson KR, Lundberg AP, Jergens AE. Endoscopic assessment of the duodenum in dogs with inflammatory bowel disease. J Vet Intern Med 2014; 28:1442–1446.
Honors and Awards
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students: Fall 2017, Summer 2018
- Clinical Science Literary Award Winner, Phi Zeta-National 2017
- Resident Award, American Association of Veterinary Clinicians 2017
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Veterinary Cancer Society
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Phi Zeta- Mu Chapter
- Illinois State Veterinary Medical Association
- PBS (WEIU TV) The Paw Report: Episode 710 “Cats Battling Mouth Cancer” November 21, 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCSGab7bYRQ&list=PL9CXT6I6PY03BrdcRsQa5zYezLgIWg-aZ&index=84.
- CBS News (WCIA3 TV) CILiving: “Clinical Trial to Combat Cancer In Cats” August 2016 http://www.illinoishomepage.net/ciliving/clinical-trial-to-combat-cancer-in-cats/539273586.
- Hamar, K. Behind the Scenes Look into a Cancer Researcher’s Process. Pettreater.com May 15, 2018. http://blog.pettreater.com/2018/05/15/behind-the-scenes-look-into-a-feline-cancer-researchers-process/
- Arslanian, T. (2018, May/June). Combating Cat Cancer. Catster, pp. 52-53.
- rvetILLINOIS Newsletter: “Clinical Trial for Feline Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma” May 2017 http://illinois.edu/emailer/newsletter/129995.html.
- The News-Gazette Pet Talk: “Promising Treatment for Feline Mouth Cancer” March 6, 2017