Get to Know

Get to Know CheMyong Jay Ko

Dr. Ko standing with a group of students

CheMyong Jay Ko, a professor in the Department of Comparative Biosciences at the College of Veterinary Medicine, began working at the college in 2011. He is pictured above (center) with senior veterinary students at the National University of Costa Rica.

When did you begin working at the College of Veterinary Medicine?
I began working at the College of Veterinary Medicine in August 2011, after 10 years of teaching and research at the University of Kentucky.

Describe your role at the college.
I am a professor in the Department of Comparative Biosciences. My primary responsibilities include conducting research in reproductive endocrinology, teaching veterinary students, and mentoring graduate students. Additionally, I work on translating our research findings into practical applications, such as non-surgical sterilization methods for animals.

Have you held any previous titles or responsibilities at the college?
Yes, I served as the Director of the Comparative Biosciences’ Graduate Program and have served on many committees within the college, the most recent one being the chair of the search committee for the Associate Dean for Research and Advanced Studies.

What is your favorite part of your job? 
My favorite part of the job is seeing our research make a tangible impact on animal health and welfare. Whether it’s through a new discovery in the lab or a breakthrough in practical applications like the iSpay and iNeuter technologies, it’s incredibly rewarding to contribute to advancements that benefit both animals and their owners.

Complete this sentence: My most memorable day at work was…
…when we successfully demonstrated the effectiveness of our non-surgical sterilization method in Beagle dogs. It was a significant milestone that brought us one step closer to offering a humane and practical alternative to traditional spaying and neutering surgeries.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
In my free time, I enjoy golfing with colleagues, friends or my family. I also love reading scientific literature and staying updated on the latest advancements in reproductive biology and veterinary medicine.

What is one thing on your bucket list? 
One thing on my bucket list is to visit every veterinary school in U.S. and give lectures on iSpay and iNeuter technologies. I want to personally share the science and innovations behind these methods with future veterinarians, ensuring they gain insights directly from me as the inventor. I also want to visit many international vet schools for the same purpose. This past summer, I gave lectures at veterinary schools in Brazil, Japan, Korea and Costa Rica. In the fall, I have plans to visit vet schools in Spain and France.

Do you have a favorite restaurant or place in the Champaign/Urbana area?
My favorite restaurant is Rainbow Garden on Neil Street, where I always enjoy a variety of delicious Chinese dishes in a welcoming atmosphere. The owners and servers are incredibly friendly and attentive, making every visit a pleasure. I also love visiting Prairie Park in Mahomet—a peaceful retreat where I can unwind, surrounded by the natural beauty and well-maintained landscapes of Illinois.

Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without?
I couldn’t go a day without my morning coffee with my wife, Jenna. It’s a ritual that helps me start the day energized.

Do you have any pets?
Yes, I have a bunny named Neptune. He loves playing around me in the evening.

bunny sitting on table next to laptop