Get to Know

Get to Know Shaun Guernsey

Shaun Guernsey Headshot

Shaun Guernsey, Help Desk Coordinator at the College of Veterinary Medicine, began working at the college in fall of 2021.

When did you begin working at the College of Veterinary Medicine?
My journey with veterinary medicine started on October 15, 2021.

Describe your role at the college.
My role in the college is that of a Help Desk Coordinator. I purchase IT equipment for the entire College of Veterinary Medicine. This extends to multiple offsite locations as well. I coordinate day-to-day operations around the college where IT is needed. I provide desktop support, as well as remote support to assist with solving issues around the college. I help drive the IT help desk to provide top-notch support to the College of Veterinary Medicine.

What is your favorite part of your job? 
My favorite part of my job is the constant challenges of fixing technical problems. I also enjoy the people that I help, as everyone here at the college is a pleasure to work with. The atmosphere surrounding this place is filled with positivity and a sense of home. The interactions that I have daily with faculty, staff, and employees around the college are a big reason I enjoy working at Vet Med.   

Complete this sentence: My most memorable day at work was…
… when I experienced a horse walking through the halls of the Large Animal Clinic and a couple of goats roaming the halls of the Small Animal Clinic. Not every day do you see large animals roaming the halls of your workplace.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I enjoy spending time with my wife and kiddos. We enjoy the outdoors, fishing, hiking, and catching many critters, ranging from praying mantises, frogs, snakes, and anything that crawls or wiggles through nature.

What is something your co-workers may be surprised to know about you? 
My co-workers would be surprised to know that I rarely use a computer at home. I own several computers, tablets, and electronic devices, but rarely use them.

What is one thing on your bucket list? 
I would have to say that traveling the world with my family would be up there on my bucket list. I would love to experience the world with them and show my kids the importance of cultures outside the States. I would also like to show them the animals they love at the zoo in their natural habitat.

Do you have a favorite restaurant or place in the Champaign/Urbana area?
I would have to say my favorite place to eat would be my home. I enjoy cooking and am passionate about teaching my kids how to cook. My grandma taught me at a young age how to make homemade egg noodles and angel food cake, and ever since I have been interested in cooking and baking. This expanded as I grew up, and my grandma continued to showed me the ropes and even introduced me to the exact measurements of a pinch and a dash.

Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without?
I think this would have to be my kids. They are what keeps me going. We have so many adventures, and I can teach them about the outdoors and the importance of taking care of nature.

Shaun Guernsey reading to his two young children
Shaun Guernsey with daughter (infant)