Get to Know

Get to Know Catherine Foreman-Hesterberg

Dr. Catherine Foreman-Hesterberg with family

Dr. Catherine Foreman-Hesterberg, pictured with her husband and daughter, is the Director of Midwest Equine at Illinois and an instructor in equine ambulatory medicine.

When did you begin working at the College of Veterinary Medicine?
I started working at the College of Veterinary Medicine in April 2019.

Describe your role at the college.
I have multiple roles at the College. My primary role is as an instructor in equine ambulatory medicine where I provide primary care, geriatric care, lameness exams, and emergency care to horses in eastern central Illinois. I also teach fourth-year veterinary students and intern veterinarians clinical knowledge, skills, and client communication while they are on the Equine Primary Care clinical rotation.

My second role is as Director of Midwest Equine at Illinois where I manage day-to-day operations at the equine primary care outpatient clinic in Farmer City, Ill.

And finally, I provide small animal chiropractic work in the small animal rehabilitation service.

Outside of my traditional appointment, I am also the faculty advisor for the Omega Tau Sigma – Theta Chapter, a professional veterinary student fraternity for service.

Have you held any previous titles or responsibilities at the college?
I was recently appointed Director of Midwest Equine at Illinois on August 1, 2023, but I have been an instructor since I started working at the College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Teaching Hospital.

What is your favorite part of your job?
Building long-term connections with my clients and patients. And, inspiring clinical-year students to want to provide care to equine patients and build healthy relationships with their clientele.

Complete this sentence: My most memorable day at work was…
… too many to choose from… but probably, pulling a stillborn miniature horse foal on the farm with my dad’s (Jon Foreman, DVM) help within the first month I worked here. It was a “full circle” moment in which I was the lead veterinarian, and he was there to aid me and give guidance periodically. Even though it was a sad case, it was a Saturday well spent. 

Dr. Foreman-Hesterberg with Mac
Dr. Foreman-Hesterberg with Mac

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I enjoy spending time with my 21-month-old daughter, Charlotte, and husband of six years, Cullen. You will also find me walking and playing fetch with our dog, Petri (PEE-TREE), a 10-year-old Pitbull mix that I adopted during my third year of veterinary school at the University of Illinois. He was one of my patients during small animal junior surgery!  And, I also enjoy riding my 18-year-old thoroughbred gelding, Mac, whom I compete in the low-level amateur jumpers.

What is something your co-workers may be surprised to know about you?
I help to manage my family’s horse farm of 22 horses. The horses include privately owned boarders and family-owned horses (retired and current working lesson horses), as well as my own two horses. 

I am certified in chiropractic and work on a variety of animals—dogs, horses, beef & dairy cattle, pigs, and goats.

I also ran on the varsity track team and was on the club equestrian team in undergraduate at Augustana College in Rock Island, IL.

What is one thing on your bucket list?
Horse back riding wine tour in France.

Do you have a favorite restaurant or place in the Champaign/Urbana area?
La Mixteca

Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without?
My daughter!

Do you have any pets? 
Six!

Petri
Petri (PEE-TREE), a 10-year-old male, neutered pitbull mix
Mac
Mac (registered name is Little Mac Attack), an 18-year-old thoroughbred gelding
Dorey
Dorey, a 20-year-old Welsh pony mare

Not pictured:

• Joey, a four-month-old domestic long-haired male cat (intact but will be neutered soon), barn cat
  • Chandler, a four-month-old domestic short-haired male cat (intact but will be neutered soon), barn cat
  • Herman, an 11-year-old male Eastern slider turtle