This opportunity is now closed
Boasting over 1,200 operated cases in 2020, the soft tissue surgery service has a robust and rich caseload.
We’re moving toward a two-track approach to streamline management of our surgical cases while protecting priceless time and energy for teaching and discovery.
Every amenity is available to the modern and innovative practicing surgeon:
- State-of-the-art equipment of minimally invasive surgery and endoscopic-assisted surgery by Karl Storz endoscopy
- Force Triad and Ligasure technology in every operating room
- Zeiss operating microscopes and ASSI microsurgical instrumentation
- Interventional suite with integrative technology for diagnostic imaging
- Harmonic scalpel
- 3T MRI
- 128-slice CT
- Dedicated anesthesia and emergency and critical care services
- Intensive / intermediate care wards, supplying oxygen cages, Hi-Flow oxygen capabilities, ventilator equipment, anesthetic and pain management, and monitoring of soft tissue patients
Teaching Has Special Value
You’ll have many opportunities for designing and conducting courses that enrich the lives of our students and professors. We have customized “professional development” courses for clinical-year students, such as surgical oncology and laparoscopic ovariectomy for the general practitioner.
Our Clinical Skills Learning Center and i-Learning Center support development of non-living tissue models, judicious use of cadavers, and the use of virtual and augmented reality technology for meaningful and impactful instruction.
For Discovery, the Sky Is the Limit
Interested in a rich and rewarding research enterprise? Collaboration is easy at the University of Illinois. We have strong ties with engineers, medical doctors, and basic science researchers. Our surgeons have funding from the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, and the Department of Defense for investigation of vascular diseases, Alzheimer’s Disease, tissue healing, and other translational areas of study.
We have also been funded by the Winn Feline Foundation and the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, winning awards for innovative study of diseases affecting small animal patients.
We Want You!
The University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine values work-life balance and collegiality. We are a friendly and interactive hospital, and we seek new colleagues who excel clinically and academically while having fun at work and building strong relationships with coworkers. Read more about our college, campus, and community.
More About Us
- Boarded clinicians in 16 areas of specialization
- Innovative approaches to integrated veterinary education, post-graduate veterinary education, and online learning
- Collegewide research strengths in comparative and diagnostic medicine, conservation medicine and ecosystem health, environmental health and toxicology, infectious diseases, and reproductive biology
- Part of a top-ranked public, land-grant university
- Located in a vibrant, diverse and international community that still offers Midwestern friendliness and affordability
- You will become a member of the Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine which is currently 94 faculty strong
- ~ 50 residents and interns
- > 500 veterinary students