Practitioner Updates

Faculty Spotlight: Hana Huff, DVM

Dr. Huff holding a dog

Dr. Huff is an instructor in the small animal emergency service.

Tell us about your background.

I grew up on a farm and started shadowing our local veterinarian from a young age. I then worked my way through college as a vet tech and science tutor. In vet school at Texas A&M, I tracked mixed animal but fell in love with small animal emergency medicine. I have now been practicing as an ER doctor for the past 5 years, most recently at Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston, Massachusetts.

How did you become interested in emergency medicine?

It has always been an interest of mine. I grew up on a farm where we would call the vet out for various emergencies, and that’s where I fell in love with vet med! Now I get to be the one helping out if there’s an emergency.

Tell us about one of your favorite cases.

I had a boxer with arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy who coded five times in hospital and was defibrillated three times. After 3 days in hospital, he got to go home to his family and was still doing great a year later. He was a really cool case and a great outcome. It was so rewarding to get to send him home to his family and three little kids.

What are your special interests?

In the clinic, I love anaphylaxis cases and any cases where I can get lasting improvement with treatment.

Outside of the clinic, I love hiking, camping, and anything outdoors!