Get to Know

Get to Know Mary Laws

Mary Laws with her two dogs, Phillie and Henri

Dr. Mary Laws, pictured above with dogs Phillie (left) and Henri (right), began as a research coordinator in 2020.

When did you begin working at the College of Veterinary Medicine?
I originally began working at the College of Veterinary Medicine in 2004. I worked elsewhere on campus for four years and then came back to Vet Med in 2020, just before our lives changed with the COVID pandemic.

Describe your role at the college.
I am a research coordinator in the laboratory of Dr. Jodi Flaws. We study the effects of endocrine disrupting chemicals, such as phthalates found in plastics, on the female reproductive system. Elucidating how these chemicals impact ovarian function is the predominant focus of our work. I complete research, present our findings at meetings, and write manuscripts. I also maintain the day-to-day function of the lab.

Have you held any previous titles or responsibilities at the college?
I started as a research technician in Dr. Indrani Bagchi’s laboratory immediately after completing my bachelor’s degree. I immediately fell in love with research. With the mentorship of Dr. Bagchi, I completed a master’s degree, PhD degree, and postdoctoral research in the Toxicology Training Program. I then completed postdoctoral research with Dr. Benita Katzenellenbogen.

What is your favorite part of your job?
I most enjoy helping undergraduate students and graduate students with their research and watching them become independent scientists.

Complete this sentence: My most memorable day at work was…
…my PhD dissertation defense.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
Recently, I have greatly enjoyed watching the Illini women’s basketball team. Those ladies were on fire! In general, I enjoy taking my dogs for walks and hikes.

What is something your co-workers may be surprised to know about you?
Wow, this is a hard one. I’ve always had an interest in international politics. I spent 20 years volunteering for American Model United Nations orchestrating an annual conference for undergraduate students. Oh, I thought of another one. I have fostered almost 40 dogs and helped them to find their forever homes.

What is one thing on your bucket list?
Living somewhere that doesn’t have snow.

Do you have a favorite restaurant or place in the Champaign/Urbana area?
I love Po Boy’s in Urbana. Sign me up all day long for their smoked chicken wings and pizza. I also like Golden Harbor.

Do you have any pets?
I have two dogs. Henri, is a 12-year-old black toy poodle, and Phillie, is a 6-year-old boxer mix rescue.

Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without?
My dogs. Okay, maybe a bit of exaggeration. I can spend a week without them, but they are an essential part of my life.