Alumni News | General News

Danielle Hesketh: Hands-On Experiences Guided Her Path

Danielle Hesketh with her dog

“I have wanted to be a veterinarian since I was a kid,” said Danielle Hesketh, an Ohio native.

“I would say I officially decided after my sophomore year of college, when I shadowed a small animal and exotics veterinarian in Cincinnati over the summer. His passion and enthusiasm for veterinary medicine really inspired me to pursue veterinary medicine.”

Dr. Hesketh earned her undergraduate degree from The Ohio State University. She was drawn to Illinois for her veterinary studies because of its program in shelter medicine, a field Dr. Hesketh was considering at that time.

The Illinois Curriculum

Dr. Hesketh thrived in the unique veterinary curriculum at the University of Illinois. She cites the integration of course content into a quarter system and the structured midterm and final exams as beneficial.

Danielle Hesketh during her Blue Coat ceremony in 2020.

“I enjoyed having clinics during my second year and getting to practice clinical skills during my first year,” she noted, of the 8-week blocks in the first two years spent outside the lecture hall. “My favorite classes included anatomy and the soft tissue surgery elective in third-year.”

Dr. Hesketh highlighted the significance of hands-on experiences, from the early clinical blocks through the immersive rotations in fourth-year clinics. She also credits the opportunity to explore areas of interest through elective courses, such as shelter medicine, zoo companion animal medicine, and soft tissue surgery.

“Our fourth-year rotations really helped me figure out what career path I wanted to take after graduation,” she said. “I enjoyed experiencing the various specialties of veterinary medicine. One of my most valuable rotations was shelter medicine because of all the spay and neuter experience that I got.”

After graduation, Dr. Hesketh will embark on a career as a small animal general practice veterinarian. She said the college provided resources to connect her with job opportunities. “That allowed me to pick the clinic that aligned with my areas of interested and values the most.”

Dr. Hesketh has set several goals for her early career. “I hope to continue to expand my knowledge in veterinary medicine and get to know my community through veterinary medicine. I aim to improve my surgical skills, client communication skills, and possibly become acupuncture certified.”

By Kara Mangione