Get to Know

Get to Know Sara Connolly

Dr. Sara Connolly with bicycle

Dr. Sara Connolly is the Assistant Dean for Student Success and a Clinical Assistant Professor at the College of Veterinary Medicine.

When did you begin working at the College of Veterinary Medicine?
This time around, I began in September of 2015. I also worked at the college as an instructor from October 2010 to June 2012.

Describe your role at the college.
I have multiple roles currently at the college. First is as the Assistant Dean for Student Success where I help with recruiting and provide career counseling for our current students. Second is my role as a Clinical Pathologist in the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory reading cytology, hematology, and bone marrow cases from the hospital and outside clinics. The remainder of my time is focused on research into inflammaging in dogs.

What is your favorite part of your job?
There are many things I enjoy about my job. My favorites though would be serving as faculty advisor for Illinois Veterinary Leadership Experience (iVLE), welcoming K-12 student groups to our college, and teaching residents about bone marrow interpretation.

Complete this sentence: My most memorable day at work was…
…probably the day I interviewed for the Assistant Dean for Student Success position. It was a stressful and emotional day but the entire process solidified how much I wanted the job and what I would dedicate to the position.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
Training for triathlon, watching movies, and traveling.

What is something your co-workers may be surprised to know about you?
I can’t think of anything. I’m pretty random and spontaneous so I don’t think anything I do surprises people.

What is one thing on your bucket list?
Visiting the Galapagos Islands.

Do you have a favorite restaurant or place in the Champaign/Urbana area?
I really enjoy going to Riggs in the summer when the beer garden is open. It always ends up being a great time with friends.

Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without?
Music! I listen to it while working out, it makes my drive to and from work, and it is often on in my office (even if it is just spa radio).

Do you have any pets?
I have one cat named Adelaide who mainly goes by Adee. I also call her Pants which is short for Adee Pants because she is a sassy pants and has long hair so it looks like she is wearing pants.

Adee