Student Blogs

Helping Out at ExoticsCon 2018

Third-year veterinary student, Sarah Wright, and Laura Rasche, Class of 2020 at the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine.

Sarah Wright, third-year veterinary student, and Laura Rasche, a veterinary student at the University of Georgia, pose together before learning more about Hybrid Aquatics at ExoticsCon 

"One of my favorite aspects of assisting with the wet labs was meeting exotic animal practitioners from around the country." -Sarah Wright
“One of my favorite aspects of assisting with the wet labs was meeting exotic animal practitioners from around the country.” -Sarah Wright

Last month I had the opportunity to assist with the facilitation for the wet labs for the Association of Amphibian and Reptilian Veterinarians (ARAV) at ExoticsCon 2018 in Atlanta, Ga. I assisted with the reptile fecal parasitology lab in the morning and the amphibian medicine and clinical techniques lab in the afternoon. I also had the opportunity to participate in both labs, learning how to identify common reptile fecal parasites and how to properly handle amphibians and perform a physical exam and venipuncture on amphibians.

One of my favorite aspects of assisting with the wet labs was meeting exotic animal practitioners from around the country and meeting other veterinary students who share a strong interest in exotic animal medicine. However, not everyone was a new face. I also had the pleasure of re-connecting with veterinary students I had met at prior conferences and courses. After the labs were over, I then had the opportunity to attend the conference for a day, engaging in lectures about aquatic, reptile, amphibian, and bird medicine and surgery. Overall, assisting with the ARAV wet labs was a fantastic experience, and I look forward to attending next year’s ExoticsCon! provides

By Sarah Wright, third-year veterinary student