Master of Veterinary Science Degree: On Campus
Join Us at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine
Complete full-time coursework on the Urbana-Champaign campus. Master of Veterinary Science degree is offered as a traditional on-campus program. Students in this program will live on campus or in the Champaign-Urbana area and have access to all the resources offered by a Big 10, Research 1 University.
- #12 Public University in the Nation *according to the U.S. News & World Report
- Top Ranked Library
- Career Fairs
- Faculty Mentors
- Professional and Academic Development
- Learning Community
We understand that every student faces unique challenges, lifestyles, backgrounds, and aspirations. That’s why we offer a range of elective tracks to assist you in customizing your curriculum. Upon finishing an elective track, students will be presented with a graduate certificate to commemorate their achievements.
- Foundations of Veterinary Science
- Systems Health Management (requires approval)
- Livestock Operations Management
- Companion Animal Nutrition
Although the elective tracks will guide you, an academic advisor will also assist you in creating a course schedule that is most suitable for you.
The courses taught in this degree program are new courses not taught in veterinary school or undergraduate programs. Our veterinary faculty developed new courses on infectious disease management, business operations, and veterinary science foundation principles. We also partnered with colleagues across campus to offer you a variety of elective course options to truly help build the degree best for you.
The MVS degree requires:
- 32 Credit Hours (12 at the 500 level)
- 4 credit hour of biostatistics (VCM 565)
- 8 credit hours of a capstone project (VCM 595)
- 20 credit hours of electives
On Campus Program Considerations
- Eligible for scholarships and financial aid
- 8-10 hours of studying outside of class time per 3 credit hour course
- Tuition under $14K, click here to learn more about the tuition and financial options.
On Campus Learning Experience
Students who choose the traditional full-time program will enroll in 16 credit hours each semester. They will be expected to pass all their courses and complete the capstone project in one year. The program will be rigorous, challenging, and rewarding.
You will become part of the College of Veterinary Medicine and the University of Illinois community. You will work with a team of supporters throughout the program including:
- Faculty Mentors, Academic Advisors, and peer groups
- Complete your Master of Veterinary Science degree in one year! You will complete approximately 10 classes in one year which is approximately which will be the equivalent of 40 hours/week of work. This is a full-time program.
- Engage with the community at the College of Veterinary Medicine
- Personalized interactions with College of Veterinary Medicine instructors and faculty
- Attend career fairs and utilize the network of the university to define your future
- Classes will have scheduled meeting times either in-person or online.
Who should apply?
The on-campus full-time MVS degree program is a one-year program you can complete while you go through the veterinary school application cycle. Students applying to veterinary school. start the degree in August and complete it before veterinary school starts the following August.
Students pursuing employment in the animal health industry and want to earn a master’s degree and gain more experience before entering the workforce to determine the best path.
Students who have a Bachelor of Veterinary Science and want to advance their career by earning a master’s degree at an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited College of Veterinary Medicine. Students will live, learn, and experience campus life at the University of Illinois.
Trying to decide if this program is the right fit for you?
We would be happy to answer any questions you have.