Add a Network Printer
- Go to the printer you want to add and record the printer name. In our example it is \\vetprint\Lac222.
- Select Start
- Select Devices and Printers
- Select Add a printer.
- Select Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
- Select The printer I want isn’t listed.
- Click the radio button for Select a shared printer by name.
- Enter the name of the printer (i.e. \\vetprint\Lac222 and select Next. If asked to install a driver, click OK.
- Click Next, determine if you want this to be your default printer, then click Finish.
- Click OK until you are back at your list of printers; you should now be able to select the printer you added.
- Select the Print and Fax icon.
- Select the plus (+) sign icon near the bottom left corner.
- Command-Click the empty space in the window that comes up and select Customize Toolbar.
- A window will appear with options to add to the tool bar. Drag the Advanced Icon onto the toolbar.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- In the Type section select LPD/LPR Host or Printer.
- Leave the Device section as Another Device.
- After lpd:// add vetprint.vetmed.illinois.edu/PrinterName (The name of the printer should be noted on a physcial tag on the printer.)
- You may rename the printer something memorable in the Name section.
- You may add a Location
- Choose Select Printer Software and find the driver for the printer. (Note: If you have trouble finding the driver select Generic PCL Printer. This may not always work but is worth a try.)
- Select Add
- Close any open dialog boxes and you should now be able to print successfully to that printer.