The GISSA lab is available to:
• Integrate diverse types of data into an actionable spatial database
• Develop live, customized on-line map services
• Create maps and graphics for digital or paper display
• Calculate metrics related to landscape characteristics, spatial auto-correlation, or other geographic measures
Our specialty is to work on data related to animal and human health, ecological characteristics, and depiction of complex concepts. We have experience in research support, implementation of spatial methods for public health, cultural and natural resource management, and development of web-enabled mapping applications.
We are glad to consider participation in research proposals as consultants, contractors or co-investigators.
• Prediction of Mosquito Infection Rate with West Nile Virus
• Community Health Informatics – Health Map Online
• Spatial Data Support for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Geographic Information Science for Public health
The implementation of health informatics with a spatial component for use by local health departments and other agencies.
We offer workshops on an as-needed basis. We are available to host a workshop either at the University of Illinois or at your location. We can work with you secure funding for workshops.
We have materials that cover many topics, with lectures, discussions and hands-on labs.
These topics include:
- GIS and Public Health applications
- Introduction to mapping and GIS software
- Spatial Epidemiology – cluster analysis, mapping disease rates, environment and health
- GIS skills needed for the development of Integrated spatial databases
- Download and process census demography data for mapping and analysis
Contact Marilyn O’Hara for more information.