We are so happy you will be participating in Interview Day at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine on Monday, February 17, 2020.
There will be a full day of opportunities to see the Veterinary Medicine campus and to talk with current students in the DVM program! We know this is a very important event in your life and we want to make it as rich as possible.
Preparing for Your Visit
Interview day schedule
8:00 am – 5:00 pm Interviews 7:30 – 9:00 am Registration begins at the front door of the Veterinary Medicine Basic Sciences Building, 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Urbana. You will receive a packet of information upon registering.
Light Continental Breakfast in Atrium. Einstein Bagels will be open until 3:00 p.m.
9:00 am – 4 pm Registration will move to the Office of Academic and Student Affairs in room 2271G. 11:00 am – noon Information Session with Dr. Jonathan H. Foreman, Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs.
This session is identical to the Information Session held at 2 p.m.
11:30 am – 1:00 pm Tours of the Veterinary Medicine campus leaving from Atrium. Tours last approximately 30 minutes. Student Q & A Booth in Atrium with current students who will be happy to answer questions. 2:00 – 3:00 pm Information Session with Dr. Jonathan H. Foreman, Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs.
This session is identical to the Information Session held at 11 a.m.
- If you drive, you may park (no charge) in the large lot in front of the Veterinary Medicine Basic Sciences Building off Lincoln Avenue.
- Parking is also available along Lincoln Avenue where there are no meters. Any unbagged meters require quarters. The cost is $1 per hour at meters.
- Parking at any other location will result in a citation.
The following hotels over special rates for applicant interviews:
Eastland Suites **
1907 N. Cunningham Avenue, Urbana, Ill. 61802 | 217-367-8331
Rooms: $70/Double or King | Block Code: 2587
Hilton Garden Inn **
1501 S. Neil Street, Champaign, Ill. 61820 | 217-352-9970
Rooms: $112/Double or King | Block Code: VetMed
I Hotel & Conference Center **
1900 S. First Street, Champaign, Ill. 61820-7450 | 217-819-5000
Rooms: $122/Queen or King | Block Code: VetMed | Will provide transportation to College
Wyndham Garden Hotel
1001 Killarney Street, Urbana, Ill. 61801 | 217-328-7900
Rooms: $80/King | Block Code: VetMed
** Airport Shuttle Service Provided
Be sure to reserve your hotel rooms by January 14 to lock-in the above quoted rates.
Willard Airport is located in Savoy, Ill. which is about 10 minutes from the College of Veterinary Medicine. If arriving in Savoy, go north on Route 45 to Windsor Road, turn right proceed to Lincoln Avenue south. Turn Left onto Lincoln Avenue and our campus is located at 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, Ill., on your left.
Bloomington-Normal Airport is located in Bloomington, Ill. which is about 60 minutes from the College of Veterinary Medicine. If driving from Bloomington, take I-74 E to Lincoln Avenue exit. Head south on Lincoln Avenue to our campus which is located at 2001 South Lincoln Avenue on your right.
Indianapolis Airport is located in Indianapolis, IN which is located about 2 hours east of the College of Veterinary Medicine. If driving from Indianapolis, take I-74 West to Lincoln Street south. Head south on Lincoln Avenue to our campus which is located at 2001 South Lincoln Avenue on your right.
Location and Maps
View a map of the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine and get directions to the college on our Contact and Location page.
What to Wear
According to Kim Zoller at Image Dynamics, 55% of another person’s perception of you is based on how you look. We have edited her employment interview dress ideas to give you some suggestions to consider as you prepare for your Interview at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Solid color, conservative suit (either skirt or pants) or neat dress pants or skirt
- Coordinated blouse or shirt or sweater
- Moderate shoes
- Limited jewelry
- Tan or light hosiery
- Moderate makeup and groomed hair
- Many people are sensitive to perfumes/scents … carefully consider your use of them, i.e., perfume
- Neatly trimmed nails
- Solid color, conservative suit or sports jacket OR
- Neat dressier pants, i.e. khakis and
- Neat shirt, sweater
- Professional shoes
- Limited jewelry
- Groomed hair
- Many people are sensitive to scents … carefully consider your use of them, i.e., aftershave, etc.
- Neatly trimmed nails
What to Expect
The interview is used to discover whether an applicant for admission exhibits behavioral factors that may predict future success as a veterinarian.
The written applications provide material for assessing many factors that might predict success, and the interview is used to assess the following factors that are likely predictors of competencies related to a successful veterinary career.
- Builds relationships
- Establishes a connection with others by demonstrating interest in their concerns, seeking their input, and valuing their perspectives
- Acts in an authentic and genuine manner with others
- Makes others feel comfortable when interacting with them
- Develops a network of colleagues to exchange ideas and build support
- Acts autonomously and confidently
- Drives for results
- Demonstrates integrity
- Pursues professional development
- Demonstrates adaptability and resilience
- Communicates effectively