“Achieving Proficiency through Practice”
Open 24-hours daily, staffed by experienced veterinary professionals, and equipped with models and mannequins to teach a wide range of clinical skills, the Illinois facility is among the most comprehensive in the world.
Anesthesia ► Animal Restraint and Handling ► Diagnostic Techniques ► Emergency Procedures ► Medical Calculations Patient Monitoring ► Physical Examination ► Surgical Preparation ► Surgery Techniques ► Treatment Methods
- Learn and practice fundamental technical skills early in the curriculum, under the guidance of experienced coaches
- Use manikins, models, and other simulators. This reduces animal use and prepares students to perform procedures in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital
- Take objective, structured, clinical examinations (OSCEs) at the Clinical Skills Learning Center to assure achievement in competencies needed to successfully advance in the curriculum
- OSCES are administered to all Illinois students during the second and third year of the curriculum.
Tours of the Clinical Skills Learning Center are available to prospective students, faculty, and guests of the University. The College also engages in collaboration with other institutions of veterinary medicine during our summer research training program.
For the past 5 years, when candidates were asked why they chose to apply to Illinois, the new curriculum (27.4%) was the most common answer given during interviews
- Small animal models and skills. Feline and canine CPR mannequins, intubation trainers, models for venipuncture (jugular and cephalic), thoracentesis, bandaging, positioning for imaging, catheter placement, flexible and rigid endoscopy, and more.
- Large animal models and skills: Equine colic simulator, dystocia calf model, equine and bovine pregnancy palpation simulators, dehorning, castration, restraint, animal identification, oral medication delivery, epidural and CSF tap, transtracheal wash, and more.
- Sterile preparation for surgery, suturing simulators for large and small patients, anesthesia equipment.
- Communications skills center with four mock exam rooms equipped to record students as they respond to simulated encounters with clients.