Important Application Deadlines
- Recommended Transcript Deadline: September 1, 2021
- VMCAS Deadline: September 15, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EDT (10:59 p.m. Central Daylight Time)
- Ilinois Processing Fee Deadline: September 15, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EDT (10:59 p.m. Central Daylight Time)
- Last day to complete the Optional GRE:
September 15, 2021
- Fall Transcript Deadline:(mailed to the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine): February 1, 2022
How Do I Apply? | Standards for Admission | Prerequisites | Special Considerations | When Will I Hear? | FAQs | Checklist | Equal Opportunity Policy
All applicants must complete and submit all of the following materials to be considered for admission to the DVM program. If any of the following materials are missing after the due date, the application will be considered incomplete and will be rejected without further consideration.
1. The Veterinary Medical College Application Service
The Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) application is submitted through the American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC)
In a significant departure from past practice, the AAVMC has announced that the VMCAS application for the 2020/21 application cycle open on January 22, 2020 and close on September 15, 2020. The cycle typically opened in May. Read the AAVMC News Release from Monday, November 11, 2019. The AAVMC has continued the January to September cycle for the current application period (https://www.aavmc.org/becoming-a-veterinarian/how-to-apply/).
Veterinary school applications will become available on May 12, 2021, for applicants to select. Applicants on or after this date will be allowed to formally submit applications and pay any associated fees. The application fee must be paid at the time of submission or the application is considered incomplete. Application fees are calculated on the basis of the number of colleges to which you are applying. The fee is payable with MasterCard and Visa. A minimum of three letters of reference must be submitted to VMCAS electronically. Illinois requires that:
- One of the letters be from a practicing veterinarian familiar with the candidate
- One of the letters be from a professor or instructor familiar with the candidate
- None of the letters be from a relative, by blood or marriage.
2. Illinois Veterinary Application Processing Fee
The University of Illinois application requires a non-refundable processing fee of $60 ($75 for international applicants). The fee must be paid at the time of application submission. Click here to pay your University of Illinois application processing fee.
3. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) (OPTIONAL)
- Applicants may choose to take the General GRE between August 1, 2019 and September 15, 2021 (only if scores from the deadline are reported immediately).
- If the candidate takes the GRE and chooses to send the score to Illinois in VMCAS, we will use the GRE score by decreasing the weight of the cumulative GPA and VMCAS Science GPA in Phase I of our process.
- Scores must be sent to VMCAS electronically.
- The reporting code for the University of Illinois in VMCAS is #2163.
- Scores must be received by VMCAS by the deadline date.
- If taking the examination more than one time, the higher daily composite score of valid examinations will be used.
- An examination is valid when all three components are completed at the same time within the required time period of the last two years.
- Get additional information regarding the GRE.
Official transcripts from all post-secondary (post-high school) institutions you have attended are required.
Transcripts are required even if:
- Credits may show up as transfer credits on another institution’s transcript
- You took only one course at the institution, or
- You took the college credits during high school.
- The DEADLINE for receipt of transcripts for the current VMCAS application is September 15, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
- Transcripts must be sent to: VMCAS – Transcripts, P.O. Box 9126, Watertown, MA 02471
- Get CRITICAL Information for students about transcript verification.
Mailing Address (Transcripts): University of Illinois, 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Room 2271G, Urbana, Illinois, 61802
For any student currently enrolled in graduate school, a letter is required from the applicant’s advisor and department head stating that if accepted into veterinary college, the applicant will have made satisfactory arrangements for completion or release from the graduate program. Please send letters directly to the College of Veterinary Medicine’s DVM Admissions Office – not to VMCAS.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Annual Security Report
The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available. This report includes statistics from the previous three years concerning reported crime that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus and statistics for fires in on-campus student housing. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and other safety information along with fire safety policies and procedures. You may obtain a hard copy of this report by contacting the Division of Public Safety or by accessing this Web site.