Directory ProfileCampus Directory
Herbert E Whiteley
Professor, Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Adjunct Professor, Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Illinois, Chicago
Address and Contact Information
- PhD, Pathology, Colorado State University, 1984
- DVM, Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, 1977
- BS, Animal and Veterinary Science, University of Maine, 1973
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists, 1984
Ocular, diagnostic and toxicologic pathology
Trained in comparative pathology, Herb Whiteley is a strong proponent of veterinary medicine as a discipline that embraces the spectrum of biomedical science, studying life forms from bacteria and toxins to all animal species as well as sciences from complex molecular biology and epidemiology to applied medicine and public health.
Herb's credentials include a DVM from Purdue University, a PhD from Colorado State University, and diplomate status from the American College of Veterinary Pathologists. He served as dean of the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine from 2001 to 2013. Previously he had spent 1983 to 1994 on the faculty at the Illinois veterinary college before moving to the University of Connecticut as a department head and director of the diagnostic laboratory.
During his tenure as dean the college introduced the innovative Illinois model of veterinary education, which greatly expanded students’ clinical exposure and hands-on experiences while integrating basic science education to emphasize clinical relevance. The Chicago Center for Veterinary Medicine was established to expand the College’s reach in clinical service and student recruiting. Dean Whiteley also spearheaded a campus initiative to foster multidisciplinary collaborations in translational biomedical research—translating discoveries in the basic sciences into relevant medical applications.
- J. E. Manautou, V. M. Silva, G. E. Hennig, and H. E. Whiteley. Repeated Dosing with the Peroxisome Proliferator Clofibrate Decreases the Toxicity of Model Hepatotoxic Agents in Male Mice. Toxicology. 127(1-3): 1-10, 1998.
- D. A. Delker, Q. S. Wang, A. Papanikolaou, H. E. Whiteley, and D. W. Rosenberg. Quantitative Assessment of Azoxymethane Induced Aberrant Crypt Foci in Inbred Mice. Experimental and Molecular Pathology. 65(3): 141-149, 1999.
- C. A. Yiamouyiannis, C. M. Schramm, L. Puddington, P. Stengel, E. Baradaran-Hosseini, W. W. Wolyniec, H. E. Whiteley, and R. S. Thrall. Shifts in Lung Lymphocyte Profiles Correlate with the Sequential Development of Acute Allergic and Chronic Tolerant Stages in a Murine Asthma Model. American Journal of Pathology. 154(6): 1911-1921, 1999.
- K. A. Nguyen, J. M. Carbone, V. M. Silva, C. C. Chen, G. E. Hennig, H. E. Whiteley, and J. E. Manautou. The PPAR Activator Docosahexaenoic Acid Prevents Acetominophen Hepatotoxicity in Male CD- 1 Mice. J. Toxicolo. Environ. Health. 58(3): 171-186, 1999.
- A. Papanikolaou, Q. S. Wang, D. Papanikolaou, H. E. Whiteley, and D. W. Rosenberg. Sequential and Morphological Analysis of Aberrant Crypt Foci Formation in Mice of Differing Susceptibility to Azoxymethane-Induced Colon Carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis, 21(8):1567-1572, 2000.
- C. A. Wu, L. Puddington, H. E. Whiteley, C. A. Yiamouyiannis, F. Mohammadu and R. S. Thrall. Murine Cytomegalovirus Infection Alters Th1/Th2 Cytokine Expression, Decreases Airway Eosinophilia, and Enhances Mucus Production in Allergic Airway Disease. J. Immunology 167(5): 2798 – 2807, 2001.
- M. Zarfoss, C. B. Breaux, H. E. Whiteley, R. E. Hamor, J. A. Flaws, P. Labelle and R. R. Dubielzig. Canine Pre-Iridal Fibrovascular Membranes: Morphologic and Immunohistochemical Investigations. Veterinary Ophthalmology, 13 (1): 4-13, 2010.
- H. E. Whiteley, S. S. Atherton, and J. A. Shadduck. Lymphocyte Choriomengitis Virus Infection, Experimental, Eye, Rat. ILSI Monograph of Pathology of Laboratory Animals, Eds. T. C. Jones, U. Mohr, R. D. Hunt, Volume 10, Eye and Ear. pp 107-109, 1991.
- H. E. Whiteley, S. S. Atherton, and J. A. Shadduck. Cytomegalovirus Infection, Experimental, Eye, Mouse. ILSI Monograph on Pathology of Laboratory Animals, Eds. T. C. Jones, U. Mohr, R. D. Hunt, Volume 10, Eye and Ear. pp 110-111, 1991.
- H. E. Whiteley, S. S. Atherton, and J. A. Shadduck. Experimental Scrapie and Other Infections, Eye, Mouse. ILSI Monograph on Pathology of Laboratory Animals, Eds. T. C. Jones, U. Mohr, R. D. Hunt, Volume 10, Eye and Ear. pp 111-114, 1991.
- R. L. Peiffer, B. A. Wilcock, R. D. Dubielzig, J. A. Render, and H. E. Whiteley. Fundamentals of Veterinary Ophthalmic Pathology. Veterinary Ophthamology, Ed. K. N. Gelatt, pp 355-425, 1999.
- H. E. Whiteley and R. L. Peiffer. The Eye. Handbook of Toxicologic Pathology 2nd edition, Eds. W. Haschek, C. Rousseaux and M. Wallig. Academic Press: pp. 539 – 584, 2002.
- J. Everitt, J. A. Shadduck, and H. E. Whiteley. Experimental Ocular Oncology: Animal Models. Ocular Tumors in Animals and Humans. Iowa State University Press pp 435-447, 2002.
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Fellow - Academy for Entrepreneurial Leadership - University of Illinois - 2011
- Illinois State Veterinary Medical Association - Service Award - 2011
- Chicago Veterinary Medical Association - Service Award - 2010
- Purdue University School of Veterinary Medicine Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2002
- University of Illinois, College of Veterinary Medicine All-Round Excellence Award, 1994
- Illinois State Veterinary Medical Association - Executive Committee Vice-President (2013-2014), President-Elect (2014-2015)
- Concil on Education American Veterinary Medical Association- Site Team Review Memeber 2013-present
- Elected member, Board of Directors, Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges, 2009-2010
- Elected member (6-year term), Council on Education, American Veterinary Medical Association, 2007-2013
- Member, Illinois State Board of Health, 2002-2012
- Board of Directors, Illinois State Veterinary Medical Association, 2004-2013
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Society of Toxicologic Pathologists
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians
- Chicago Veterinary Medical Association
- Eastern Illinois Veterinary Medical Association
- Chicago Veterinary Medical Association