Directory ProfileCampus Directory
Brian Michael Aldridge
Clinical Professor, Veterinary Clinical Medicine
Address and Contact Information
Veterinary Clinical Medicine
M/C 004Urbana, IL 61802
- BVSc, 1984, University of Liverpool
- Resident, Food Animal Medicine and Surgery, Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, 1992.
- MS, Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, focusing on bovine neonatal septicemia, 1992.
- PhD., University of Wisconsin-Madison, Dissertation: Role of maternal lymphocytes in the immune system of the newborn calf., August 1992-August 1993
- Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Clinical Farm Animal Veterinarian, Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, UK,October 2011-October 2012.
- Director, eVeterinary Academy, TGS Illuminate, Harpenden, Herts, UK, January 2011-October 2012.
- Chair, Farm Animal Health and Production Group, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, RoyalVeterinary College, University of London, North Mymms, Herts, UK, October 2005-December 2010.
- Head, Population Medicine Group, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Royal Veterinary College, University of London, North Mymms, Herts, UK, October 2005-December 2010.
- Associate Professor, Large Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, CA, September 2003-October 2005.
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, College of Agriculture, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, CA, July 2004-October 2012.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California-Davis, USA, and The Marine Mammal Center, GGNRA, Marin Headlands, Sausalito, CA, February 1999-September 2003.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Animal Health and Biomedical Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA.,December 1998-January 1999.
- PhD, Department of Animal Health and Biomedical Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA, August 1993 to December 1998.
- General Practitioner; self-employed veterinary locum, August 1992-August 1993.
- Hassel DM, Spier SJ, Aldridge BM, Watnick M, Argenzio RA, Snyder JR. Influence of diet and watersupply on mineral content and pH within the large intestine of horses with enterolithiasis. Vet J. 2009, Oct;182(1):44-9
- Hassel DM, Aldridge BM, Drake CM, Snyder JR. Evaluation of dietary and management risk factors for enterolithiasis among horses in California. Res Vet Sci. 2008 Dec;85(3):476-80. Epub 2008 Apr 18.
- Chen CI, King DP, Blanchard MT, Hall MR, Aldridge BM, Bowen L, Stott JL. Identification of the etiologic agent of epizootic bovine abortion in field-collected Ornithodoros coriaceus Koch ticks. Vet Microbiol. 2007 Mar 10;120(3-4):320-7.
- DeCarlo C, Alderson J, Bowen L, Rutllant J, Aldridge B. Characterization of the immunomodulatory effect of a commercial extender on semen-induced inflammatory response in equine uterine lumenalimmune cells. J Reprod Immunol. 2006 Oct 72:1;158
- Haulena M, Gulland FM, Lawrence JA, Fauquier DA, Jang S, Aldridge B, Spraker T, Thomas LC, Brown, DR, Wendland L, Davidson MK. Lesions associated with a novel Mycoplasma sp. in California sea lions (Zalophus californianus) undergoing rehabilitation. J Wildl Dis. 2006 Jan;42(1):40-5.
- Buckles EL, Gulland FM, Aldridge BM, Gelatt TS, Ross PS, Haulena M, Lowenstine LJ. Fetus in fetu in a harbor seal (Phoca vitulina richardi): histopathologic, genetic, and toxicologic analysis. Vet Pathol. 2006,Jul;43(4):541-4.
- Bowen L, Aldridge BM, Miles AK, Stott JL. Expressed MHC class II genes in sea otters (Enhydra lutris) from geographically disparate populations. Tissue Antigens. 2006 May;67(5):402-8.
- Brian M. Aldridge, Lizabeth Bowen, Brett R Smith, George A. Antonelis, Frances Gulland, Jeffrey L.Stott. Identification of class I MHC gene paucity in the endangered Hawaiian monk seal population. Immunogenetics 2006 Apr;58(2-3):203-15.
- C.L. Stull, J. Morrow, B.M. Aldridge, J.J. McGlone, and J.L. Stott. Evaluation of the benefit of a 12 hour rest interval on the immunophysiological responses of horses in 24 hour road transit). J Anim Sci (submitted for publication) April 2005.
- L. Bowen, B.M. Aldridge, L.J. Lowenstine, J.L. Stott, F. Gulland, R. DeLong, S. Melin, C Godinez, A.Zavala, M.L. Johnson. MHC gene configuration variation in geographically disparate populations of California sea lions (Zalophus californianus): pathogen pressure or breeding biology? Molecular Ecology 2006 Feb;15(2):529-33.
- Schwartz J, Aldridge B, Blanchard M, Mohr FC, Stott J. The development of methods for immunophenotypic and lymphocyte function analyzes for assessment of Southern sea otter (Enhydralutris nereis) health. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2005 Mar 10;104 (1-2):1-14.
- Jorge E. Nieto, Brian Aldridge, Pablo Beldomenico, Monica Aleman, Jack R. Snyder. Distribution of Intestinal Fatty Acid Binding Protein and Utility in Clinical Cases of Colic. Am J Vet Res. 2005, Feb;66(2):223-32
- Lizabeth Bowen, Brian Aldridge, Robert DeLong, Sharon Melin, Elizabeth Buckles, Frances Gulland, Linda Lowenstine, Jeffrey Stott, Michael Johnson. An immunogenetic basis for the high prevalence of urogenital cancer in a free-ranging population of California sea lions (Zalophus californianus). Immunogenetics 2005 Feb;56(11):846-8.
- Terio KA, Munson L, Marker L, Aldridge BM, Solnick JV. Comparison of Helicobacter spp. in Cheetahs (Acinonyx jubatus) with and without gastritis. J Clin Microbiol. 2005 Jan;43(1):229-34.
- King DP, Chen Ching I, Blanchard MT, Aldridge BM, Anderson M, Walker R, Maas J, Hanks D, Hall M, Stott JL. Molecular identification of a novel deltaproteobacterium as the etiologic agent of epizootic bovine abortion (foothill abortion). J Clin Microbiol. 2005 Feb;43(2):604-9.
- Stull CL, Spier SJ, Aldridge BM, Blanchard M, Stott JL Immunological response to long-term transport stress in mature horses and effects of adaptogenic dietary supplementation as an immunomodulator. Equine Vet J. 2004 Nov;36(7):583-9.
- Goldstein T, Mazet JA, Gulland FM, Rowles T, Harvey JT, Allen SG, King DP, Aldridge BM, Stott JL. The transmission of phocine herpesvirus-1 in rehabilitating and free-ranging Pacific harbor seals (Phoca vitulina) in California. Vet Microbiol. 2004 Nov 15;103(3-4):131-41.
- Julie A. Schwartz, Brian M. Aldridge, Bill L. Lasley, Paul W. Snyder, Jeff L. Stott, and F. Charles Mohr. Chronic fuel oil toxicity in American Mink (Mustela vison) I. Hematological effects of ingestion of a low concentration of Bunker C fuel oil. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2004 Oct 15;200(2):146-58.
- Julie A. Schwartz, Brian M. Aldridge, Jeff L. Stott, and F. Charles Mohr. Chronic fuel oil toxicity in American Mink (Mustela vison) II. Immunophenotypic and functional effects of Bunker C fuel oil on the immune system. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2004 Oct;101(3-4):179-90.
- Aleman M, Riehl J, Aldridge BM, Lecouteur RA, Stott JL, Pessah IN. Association of a Mutation in the Ryanodine Receptor 1 Gene with Equine Malignant Hyperthermia. Muscle Nerve. 2004 Sep;30(3):356-65.
- Lizabeth Bowen, Brian M. Aldridge, Frances Gulland, William Van Bonn, Robert DeLong, Linda J. Lowenstine, Jeffrey L. Stott, and Michael L. Johnson. Class II multiformity generated by variable MHCDRB region configurations in the California sea lion (Zalophus californianus). Immunogenetics. 2004, Apr;56(1):12-27.
- Phoebe A. Smith, Brian M. Aldridge, Mark D. Kittleson. Treatment of refractory oleander-induced arrhythmia in a miniature donkey. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 17(1):111-4, 2003.
- Goldstein T, Gulland FM, Aldridge BM, Harvey JT, Rowles T, Lambourn DM, Jeffries SJ, Measures L,Yochem PK, Stewart BS, Small RJ, King DP, Stott JL, Mazet JA. Antibodies to phocine herpesvirus-1 are common in North American harbor seals (Phoca vitulina). J Wildl Dis. 2003 Jul;39(3):487-94.
- Soboll G, Horohov DW, Aldridge BM, Olsen CW, McGregor MW, Drape RJ, Macklin MD, Swain WF, Lunn DP. Regional antibody and cellular immune responses to equine influenza virus infection, andparticle mediated DNA vaccination. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2003 Jul 15;94(1-2):47-62
- Lizabeth Bowen, Brian M. Aldridge, Frances Gulland, Jennifer Woo, William Van Bonn, Robert DeLong, Jeffrey L. Stott, and Michael L. Johnson. Molecular characterization of expressed DQA and DQB genes in the California sea lion (Zalophus californianus). Immunogenetics 54(5):332-47, 2002.
- King DP, Hure MC, Goldstein T, Aldridge BM, Gulland FM, Saliki JT, Buckles EL, Lowenstine LJ, Stott JL. Otarine herpesvirus-1: a novel gammaherpesvirus associated with urogenital carcinoma in California sea lions (Zalophus californianus). Veterinary Microbiology 86(1-2):131-7, 2002.
- Brian M. Aldridge, Donald P. King, Suzanne Kennedy-Stoskopf, and Jeffrey L. Stott. Anatomy and Physiology of Marine Mammals: Immunology, in CRC Handbook of Marine Mammal Medicine, Dierauf LA,Gulland FMD (Eds) CRC Press Boca Raton , FL. Section II:Chapter 12: 237-248, 2001.
- King DP, Lie AR, Goldstein T, Aldridge BM, Gulland FM, Haulena M, Adkison MA, Lowenstine LJ, Stott JL. Humoral immune responses to phocine herpesvirus-1 in Pacific harbor seals (Phoca vitulina richardsii) during an outbreak of clinical disease. Veterinary Microbiology, 80;1:1-8. 2001.
- Aldridge B, McGuirk SM, Clark RJ, Knapp LA, Watkins DI, Lunn DP. Denaturing Gradient Gel Electrophoresis: a rapid method for differentiating bovine MHC class II alleles. Animal Genetics,29; 389-394, 1998
- Aldridge B, McGuirk SM, Lunn DP. Effect of colostral ingestion on immunoglobulin-positive cells in calves. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 62;51-54, 1998.
- Aldridge B, Garry FB, Adams R. Neonatal septicemia in calves: 25 cases (1985-1990). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 203:1324-1329, 1993.
- Adams R, Garry FB, Aldridge B, Holland MD, Odde KG. Physiological differences between twin beef calves. Cornell Veterinarian, 83:13-29, 1993.
- Garry FB, Aldridge B, Adams R. Role of colostral transfer in neonatal calf management: current concepts in diagnosis. Compendium of Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, 15:1167-1174, 1993.
- Adams R, Garry FB, Aldridge B, Holland MD, Odde KG. Hematological values in newborn beef calves. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 53:944-950, 1992.
- Aldridge B, Garry F, Adams R. Role of colostral transfer in neonatal calf management: failure of acquisition of passive immunity. Compendium of Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, 14:265-270, 1992.
- Aldridge B, Garry FB. Chronic obstructive urolithiasis causing hydronephrosis and chronic renal failure in a steer. Cornell Veterinarian, 82:311-317, 1992.
- Adams R, Holland MD, Aldridge B, Garry FB, Odde KG. Arterial blood sample collection from the newborn calf. Veterinary Research Communications, 15:387-394, 1991.
- Scott PR, Aldridge B, Clark M, Will RG. Cerebrospinal fluid studies in normal cows and cases of bovine spongiform encephalopathy. British Veterinary Journal, 146:88-90, 1990.
- Holmes LA, Scott PR, Aldridge B. Thymic lymphosarcoma with metastases causing spinal cord compression and pelvic limb paresis in a heifer. British Veterinary Journal, 146:91-92, 1990.
- Scott PR, Aldridge B, Clarke M, Will RG. Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy in a cow in the United Kingdom. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 195:1745-1747, 1989.
- Winter M, Aldridge B, Scott PR, Clarke M. Occurrence of 14 cases of BSE in a closed dairy herd. British Veterinary Journal, 145:191-194, 1989.
- Scott PR, Aldridge B, Holmes LA, Milne EM, Collins DM. Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy in an adult British Friesian cow. Veterinary Record, 123:373-374, 1988.
Honors and Awards
- American Association of Veterinary Immunologists Graduate Student Award for paper entitled “Transfer of maternal immune cells to the newborn calf” presented at the Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases, Chicago, November 1998.
- Department of Animal Health and Biomedical Sciences Travel Award to attend summer program studying the design and analysis of clinical trials. New England Epidemiology Institute, Tufts University, Boston, June 1997.
- American Association of Veterinary Immunologists Graduate Student Award for paper entitled “Denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis: a rapid method for differentiating bovine class II MHC alleles” presented at the Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases, Chicago, November 1996.
- American Association of Bovine Practitioners Graduate Student Research Award: $10,000 to examine the influence of colostral lymphocytes on the immune system of the newborn calf, 1994.
- Pfizer Food Animal Teaching Award. Outstanding teacher in Food Animal Section, Colorado State University, 1992.
- Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association Award. Contributions to the student body, Colorado State University, 1992.
- Director, Farm Animal Electives; 3 week final year course for student focus study, October 2009 to December 2010.
- Director, Farm Animal Rotation; 4 week final year course in farm animal clinical medicine, population health, theriogenology, public health and animal welfare, March 2007 to December 2010.
- Director, Animal Husbandry Courses for BVetMed, Gateway, and Graduate/Transfer Programmes, March 2006- December 2006.
- Director, Clinical Skills Course: responsible for innovation, implementation, and coordination, of educational process and resources in CVM 5050, January 2004-December 2004.
- PBL facilitator (CVM 5000): guide and encourage small-groups of DVM students in the self-directed, case-based educational process inherent to CVM 5000, October 2003-October 2005.
- October 2003-June 2004: PBL course module leader (CVM 5000): coordination of case materials and assessment for endocrinereproduction module
- Continuing Professional Development (Teaching)
- Clinical decision making in farm animal practice’ (6 weeks), Royal Veterinary College e-CPD, October-December 2011.
- Essentials of Farm Animal Surgery (1 day), Royal Veterinary College CPD, May 2011.
- Diagnostic Dilemmas and Therapeutic Solutions in Farm Animal Practice (a series of six 2 hour online lectures), Royal Veterinary College CPD Webinar Series, May 2011.
- MRCVS Exam Preparation Course (2 days), Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Medicine CPD, April 2011.
- Bovine Internal Medicine Course (1 day), Royal Veterinary College CPD, October 2010.
- Clinical decision making in farm animal practice’ (6 weeks), Royal Veterinary College e-CPD, September-October 2010.
- Diagnostic Dilemmas and Therapeutic Solutions in Farm Animal Practice (a series of six 2 hour online lectures), Royal Veterinary College e-CPD, June-July 2010.
- Calf Health and Production (2 days), Royal Veterinary College CPD, June 2010.
- Farm Animal Fluid Therapy (2 hours), Royal Veterinary College e-CPD, October 2009.
- A Problem Oriented Approach to Bovine Gastrointestinal Disease (2 hours), Royal Veterinary College e-CPD.
- Bovine Internal Medicine Course (1 day), Royal Veterinary College CPD, November 2008.
- Problem Based Clinical Reasoning (1 day), Royal Army Veterinary Corps Study Day, October 2006.