Directory ProfileCampus Directory
Haschek-Hock, Wanda M
Address and Contact Information
1973 BVSc (Honors), University of Sydney, Australia
1977 PhD in Veterinary Pathology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists, 1977
Diplomate, American Board of Toxicology, 1980; recertified 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005, 2010
Honors and Awards
Phi Kappa Phi, Cornell University Chapter, 1976
Phi Zeta Veterinary Honor Society, University of Illinois, 1983
Committee on Institutional Cooperation, Academic Leadership Program Fellow, 1992-1993
Gordon Conference: Mycotoxins and Phycotoxins, Chair, 1997
US FDA Veterinary Medicine Advisory Committee, 1997-2002
Society of Toxicologic Pathology Achievement Award, 2007
Society of Toxicologic Pathology, President, 2010-2011
Kenneth P. DuBois Award, Midwest Regional Chapter of the Society of Toxicology, 2011
Sydney University Graduates Union North America (SUGUNA), President, 2010-2013
Honorary Membership, Latin American Society of Toxicologic Pathology, 2012
Fellow, International Academy of Toxicologic Pathology, 2012
SUGUNA Jim Wolfensohn Achievement Award, 2013
International Academy of Toxicologic Pathology, Fellow
American College of Veterinary Pathologists
Society of Toxicology
Society of Toxicologic Pathology
Charles Louis Davis Foundation
Eastern Illinois Veterinary Medical Association
Australian Society of Veterinary Pathology
Haschek, W. M. and C. G. Rousseaux, eds. (1997) "Fundamentals of Toxicologic Pathology." Academic Press.
Haschek, W. M., C. G. Rousseaux and M. A. Wallig eds. (2010) "Fundamentals of Toxicologic Pathology.", 2nd Edition, Elsevier. 2014 - published in Chinese by Military Medical Science Press of China
Haschek, W. M. and C. Rousseaux, eds. (1991) "Handbook of Toxicologic Pathology." Academic Press.
Haschek, W. M., C. G. Rousseaux and M. A. Wallig, eds. (2002) “Handbook of Toxicologic Pathology”, Volumes I and II, Second Edition. Academic Press.
Haschek, W. M., C. G. Rousseaux and M. A. Wallig, eds. (2013) “Haschek and Rousseaux’s Handbook of Toxicologic Pathology”, Volumes I, II and III. Elsevier Inc., Academic Press.
Dr. Wanda M. Haschek-Hock, a veterinary pathologist and Professor Emerita of Comparative Pathology at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine, has over 30 years of experience in comparative, respiratory and toxicologic pathology. Wanda received her BVSc (DVM equivalent) from the University of Sydney and her Ph.D. from Cornell University. She held an appointment at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in the Cancer and Toxicology Section of the Biology Division before taking a position at the University of Illinois where she is currently Professor Emerita. She is a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists (ACVP) and the American Board of Toxicology (ABT), and a Fellow of the International Academy of Toxicologic Pathologists (FIATP). Her primary research has been in the health effects and pathophysiology of natural toxins and environmental toxicants with a focus on mycotoxins and food safety. She has expertise in pulmonary toxicity and has worked with dogs, pigs, rodents and other species.
Wanda has over 100 scientific peer reviewed publications in the fields of pathology and toxicology, and is senior editor of the Handbook of Toxicologic Pathology (1991, 2002, 2013) and Fundamentals of Toxicologic Pathology (1998, 2009) published by Academic Press/Elsevier. She developed the Graduate Training Program in Toxicologic Pathology and the biannual international continuing education course in Industrial Toxicology and Pathology. She served as head of the department for 6 years. She is Past President of the Society of Toxicologic Pathology, having served previously as Executive Committee member and Secretary Treasurer, and is on the Board of Directors of the C.L. Davis Foundation for the Advancement of Veterinary and Comparative Pathology. She has also served as President of the Society of Toxicology’s Comparative and Veterinary Specialty Section, as Councilor of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, on the Board of Directors of the American Board of Toxicology; as Associate Editor for Toxicological Sciences and for Toxicologic Pathology; as Editorial Board member for Fundamental and Applied Toxicology, Veterinary Pathology and Toxicologic Pathology. She has served as a member on the USFDA Veterinary Medicine Advisory Committee for the Center for Veterinary Medicine, the EPA’s FIFRA Science Advisory Panel, and the National Academy of Science’s Committee on Emergency and Continuous Guidance Levels for Selected Submarine Contaminants. She was awarded the Society of Toxicologic Pathology’s Achievement Award in 2007 and the Midwest Regional Chapter – Society of Toxicology’s Kenneth DuBois Award in 2011
Pathology - toxicologic, respiratory, diagnostic, laboratory animals including swine
Food Safety - mycotoxins, algal toxins
Education in toxicologic pathology
16. Harkema J.R, K.J. Nikula and W. M Haschek, (2013). Respiratory system. In: Haschek and Rousseaux’s Handbook of Toxicologic Pathology, 3rd ed., Volume 3. W. M. Haschek, C. G. Rousseaux, M. A. Wallig, eds. Elsevier Inc., Academic Press, pp 1935-2003.
17. Haschek, W. M., K. A. Voss. (2013). Mycotoxins. In: Haschek and Rousseaux’s Handbook of Toxicologic Pathology, 3rd ed., Volume 2. W. M. Haschek, C. G. Rousseaux, M. A. Wallig, eds. Elsevier Inc., Academic Press, pp.1187-1258.
18. Haschek W.M, Rousseaux C.G., Wallig M.A. (2013). Toxicologic pathology: An introduction. In: “Haschek and Rousseaux's Handbook of Toxicologic Pathology”, 3 ed., Elsevier Inc, Academic Press pp. 1-9.
Referreed Journal Articles
103. Haschek, W. M., L. A. Gumprecht, G. Smith, M. E. Tumbleson, P. D. Constable (2001). Fumonisin toxicosis in swine: An overview of porcine pulmonary edema and current perspectives. Env Hlth Persp* 109 (suppl 2):251-257. Republished by request on Engormix.com 2013.
122. Keenan, K.P., M.A. Wallig, W.M. Haschek (2013) Nature via Nurture: Effect of Diet on Health, Obesity and Safety Assessment. Toxicol Pathol, 41:190-209
123. Lai, I.K., W.D. Klaren, M. Li, B. Wels, D.L. Simmons, A.K. Olivier, W.M. Haschek, K. Wang, G. Ludewig and L.W. Robertson (2013). Does dietary copper supplementation enhance or diminish PCB126 toxicity in rodent liver? Chemical Research in Toxicology 26:634-644
- Turner P.V., W.M. Haschek, B. Bolon, K. Diegel, A. Hayes, B. McEwen, A.M. Sargeant, C.L. Scudamore, M. Stalker, B. V. Beust, L.M. Wancket (2014) Commentary: The Role of the Toxicologic Pathologist in Academia. Vet. Pathol. 52:7-17
- Laws, M.J., A. Kannan, S. Pawar, W.M. Haschek, M.K. Bagchi, I.C. Bagchi. (2014) Dysregulated estrogen receptor signaling in the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis leads to ovarian epithelial tumorigenesis in mice. PLoS Genet 10(3): e1004230.
For other publications, please click on the following: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
University of Illinois
Department Head, Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, 1994-2001
Acting Director, Laboratory of Veterinary Diagnostic Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, 1995-1996
Interim Associate Dean for Research, College of Veterinary Medicine, and Assistant Director, Agricultural Experiment Station, Urbana, 1997
Professional and Alumni Associations
Society of Toxicology - Comparative and Veterinary Specialty Section: President, 2001-2002
Society of Toxicologic Pathology - President, 2010-11
Sydney University Graduates Union North America (SUGUNA) - President, 2011-2013