Directory ProfileCampus Directory
French, Dennis D
Professor, Veterinary Clinical Medicine
Address and Contact Information
- BS, University of Minnesota
- DVM, University of Minnesota
Diplomate, American Board of Veterinary Practitioners - Equine Practice
Examination techniques and improved use of multiple choice items for evaluation of critical thinking
Herd health in large animals, especially parasite control programs
- Dr. French graduated from the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Minnesota in 1978 and began his professional career as an instructor at Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine. He then was hired as an associate by the Illinois Equine Field Service in Naperville, IL. In 1981 he returned to LSU and progressed through the academic ranks to the level of professor. He joined the University of Illinois as a clinician and section chief in 2009.
- Dennis became certified by the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners in equine practice in 1985, and has re-certified in 1993 and 2006. He has served as credentials chair, executive secretary, examination chair, and president of the ABVP. He is a past-president of both the Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association and the Lone Star Therapeutic Equestrian Network and has served as a trustee for the W. J. Ernst Foundation. Dr. French's primary interests are in the field of herd health and reproduction. Academia has allowed him to ask the question of why things occur.
My goal is to engage students with their hands and minds as early in their careers as possible. I enjoy mentoring students and pushing them beyond where they think is possible. My enjoyment comes from those moments when a student realizes the why of what they are doing as well as how to do the procedure. The faculty with which I work are all committed to this same concept and being able to nurture students as they progress through the curriculum provides us with great challenges and opportunities to impact their professional development.
- Advanced Reproductive Management
- Large Animal Internal Medicine
- Farm Animal Health and Techniques
- Farm Animal Health Management
- Ruminant Health
Dr. French has had a great opportunity to participate in a number of clinical research trials over the course of his career. Industry grants began his research career as the macrocyclic lactones came to the market. A number of drug trials kept Dennis busy for the early years and then he became a part of a group of scientists that examined the influence of exercise stress on the immune system. These studies were very basic in nature and allowed the use of horses as models for a number of studies examining the effects of exercise stress on immune function. This arena remains as both a highlight and prospective area for Dr. French at Illinois.
- Lowe JF, French DD, Herrmann JA, Firkins L. A novel approach for developing clinical practices in food chain veterinary medicine.
- Paul AJ, Maddox C, French DD. A negative-control field efficacy study of Pharmaceutical Solutions, Inc.'s trimethroprim and sulfadiazine oral suspension in purpose acquired horses with lower respiratory infections caused by Streptococcus equi subsp. zooepidemicus.
- Hoyer L, Miller M, French DD. Development of a pig model of disseminated candidiasis.
- Kaplan RM, French DD, Rossano MG, et.al. Investigation of emerging ivermectin resistance in equine cyathostomin parasites.
- Bastian F, Todd W, Elzer P, Enright F, French DD, Storey E, Sanders D. Application of Molecular Probes to Detect Spiroplasma Infections in Ruminants Prior to Development of Clinical Signs of Scrapie and Chronic Wasting Disease (TSE).
- Elzer PH, Sanders D, Enright FM, French DD, Bastian F. Investigation of emerging infectious diseases in small ruminants, including white-tailed deer.
- Griffin AS, Depew CL, Green BL, French DD, HorseQuest.
- Ward JD, French DD, McCormick ME. Enhancing production and reproductive performance of heat-stressed dairy cattle.
- Klei TR, French DD. Dose determination of doramectin against naturally acquired bot/nematode species of horses.
- Klei TR, French DD. Efficacy of doramectin against Strongylus vulgaris and Parascaris equorum migrating larvae.
- Klei TR, French DD. Exploratory studies on the efficacy of doramectin against inhibited, encysted larvae of cyathostomes.
- Klei TR, French DD. Dose confirmation trial of moxidectin equine oral gel against Gasterophilus spp. infections in equine.
- Klei TR, French DD. Efficacy of fenbendazole against encysted small strongyles infecting Equus caballus.
- Kamerling SG, French DD, Smith JA. Pilot study to the dose titration of Sedivet (Romifidine HCL) as an Alpha-2 agonist for use as a sedative in the horse.
- Kamerling SG, French DD. Involvement of nitric oxide in chronic laminitis and pain.
- French DD, Klei TR. Field efficacy of doramectin against gastrointestinal nematode infections of horses and egg reappearance period.
- Kamerling SG, French DD. Comparative analgesic effects of flunixin and phenylbutazone in chronically lame horses.
- Corstvet RE, Gaunt S, French,DD. Polymerase chain reaction to determine pathogenesis and transmission of Ehrlicia infections in horses.
- French DD, Kamerling SG. Pyrimethamine/sulfadiazine target animal safety study.
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Service American Board of Veterinary Practitioners April 2010
- Who's Who among American Teachers, 2009
- Certificate of Appreciation from the LSU Equine Health Studies Program and the Pony Clubs of the Deep South Region February 2008
- Louisiana Veterinarian of the Year 2007
- Faculty Distinguished Service Award Louisiana State University 2005
- Distinguished Service Award Louisiana State University College of Agriculture 2004
- Louisiana State University Advisor of the Year 2003
- Book Chapters:
- Emesis, in 5 Minute Veterinary Consult: Ruminant, 2008. Scott R.R. Haskell, ed. First Edition. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. pp. 322-323.
- Gastrointestinal Pharmacology, in 5 Minute Veterinary Consult: Ruminant, 2008. Scott R.R. Haskell, ed. First Edition. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. pp. 378-379.
- Traumatic Reticulopericariditis, in 5 Minute Veterinary Consult: Ruminant, 2008. Scott R.R. Haskell, ed. First Edition. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. pp. 886-887.
- Restraint and Handling of Animals, 2008, Chapter 7 in "Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians". D.M. McCurnin and Joanna M. Bassert, editors, Seventh Edition, W. B. Saunders Co.
- French DD. Large Animal Tales following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. In proc. 91st Annual Fall Conference, Champaign, Il. Sep. 2010.
- French DD. Camelid parasites and heat stress. In proc. Illinois Lama Assoc. Sheridan, IL. Feb 2010.
- French DD. Infectious disease in ruminants with an emphasis on neurology. In proc. LVMA winter mtg. 103-114. Baton Rouge, LA. Jan. 2010.
- French DD. Ruminant reproductive diseases. In proc. LVMA winter mtg. 115-124. Baton Rouge, LA. Jan 2010.
- French DD. Musculoskeletal diseases of ruminants, feet, leg and upper leg problems. In proc. LVMA winter mtg. 91-102. Baton Rouge, LA. Jan 2010.
- French DD, Garrett EF. Musculoskeletal diseases of ruminants. In proc. ISVMA winter mtg. Peoria, IL. Nov. 2009.
- French DD. Infectious diseases of ruminants. In proc. ISVMA winter mtg., Peoria, IL. Nov. 2009.
- French DD. Ruminant reproductive diseases. In proc. ISVMA winter mtg. Peoria, IL. Nov. 2009.
- French DD. Small ruminant issues with hopeful answers. In proc. ISVMA winter mtg. Peoria, IL. Nov. 2009.
- French DD. Modern equine parasite control methods. In proc. 90th Annual Fall Conference, Urbana, IL. Sep. 2009.
- Swiderski C, French DD. 2008. Paradigms for Parasite Control in Adult Horse Populations: A Review. In proc, AAEP 54th annual mtg., San Diego, CA. Dec. 2008.
- French,DD. 2008 Embryo Transfer and it usefulness in heat stressed dairy cattle, In proc, LVMA winter meeting, Shreveport, LA. Jan. 2008.
- McConnico RS, French DD, Clark B, Mortensen KE, Littlefield-Chabaud M, and Moore RM. 2007. Equine rescue and response activities in Louisiana in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 231(3):384-92.
- Kaplan RM, Klei TR, Lyon ET, Lester GD, French DD, Tolliver SC, and Courtney CH. 2004. Prevalence of anthelmintic resistant cyathostomes on horse farms. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 225(6):903-10.
- Chapman MR, French DD, and Klei TR. 2002. Prevalence of strongyle nematodes in naturally infected ponies of different ages and during different seasons of the year in Louisiana. J Parasitol. 89(2):309-314.
- Chapman MR, French DD, and Klei TR. 2003. Gastrointestinal helminths of pinies: a comparison of species currently prevalent with those present 20 years ago. J Parasitol. 88(6): 1130-1134.
- Chapman MR, French DD, Taylor HW, and Klei TR. 2002. One season of pasture exposure fails to induce a protective resistance to cyathostomes but increases the number of hypobiotic third-stage larvae. J Parasitol. 88(4):678-683.
- Kulinski KM, Thompson DL, Capshaw EL, and French DD. 2002. Somatotropin treatment of foals: Daily treatment of growing foals with equine somatotropin: Pathologic and endocrinologic assessments at necropsy and residual effects in live animals. J An Sci. 80:302-400.
- Capshaw EL, Thompson DL, Jr, Kulinski KM, Johnson CA, and French DD. 2001. Daily Treatment of horses with equine somatrotropin from 4-16 months of age. J Anim Sci. 79(12):3137-47.
- Klei TR, Rehbein S, Visser M, Langholff WK, Chapman MR, French DD, and Hanson P. 2001. Re-evaluation of ivermectin efficacy against equine gastrointestinal parasites. Vet Parasitol. 98: 315-20.
- Chapa AM, McCormick ME, Fernandez JM, French DD, Ward JD, and Beatty JF. 2001. Supplemental dietary protein for grazing dairy cows: reproduction, condition loss, plasma metabolites, and insulin. J Dairy Sci. 84:908-16.
- McCormick ME, Ward JD, Redfearn DD, French DD, Blouin DC, Chapa AM, and Fernandez JM. 2001. Supplemental dietary protein for dairy cows: effect on pasture intace and lactation performance. J Dairy Sci. 84:896-907.
- American Association of Equine Practitioners
- American Board of Veterinary Practitioners
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Clinical Skills Learning Center Advisory Group
- Curriculum Committee VCM
- IIVPC Budget committee
- Intern Residency Committee Chair
- Leadership Group
- Promotion and Tenure
- Quality Assurance and Risk Management
- VTH Hospital board