Tips and contact information for stray animals
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital will not take in healthy unowned animals brought in by the public. We do accept and offer triage for injured animals whose ownership is unknown. Please do not bring healthy stray animals to the hospital. Instead here are some tips and contacts to assist in caring for a stray.
What to do if you find a stray:
- Approach the stray animal with caution.
- Keep the animal away from children or other animals
- Seclude the animal in a small room or pet carrier.
- Provide the animal with water.
- Give the animal a small portion of food. If it is a kitten, do not give them cow’s milk.
- Contact the locally designated agency to have the animal scanned for a microchip and given a medical exam.
Local agency contacts:
|Macon County||217-425-4508 ext. 3 or 4||217-424-1311|