Information on working from home and other remote locations. Preparation, testing, featured how to documents, and searching for more answers.
Preparing to Work Remotely Checklist
Test Ahead of Time
- Log into Zoom at least one time to ensure your account is setup and fully installed on your computer.
- Log into Skype at least one time to ensure program is setup and you know how.
- Know the network drives you use for file storage (\\fido\YourFolderNameHere\): Discover my Network Drives
- If your university laptop has been off for awhile, power it up while at work. If powered on, restart to apply updates, get security patches, and current virus protections.
University Laptop Setup
Take your laptop home ahead of time and test the following:
- Connect to home WiFi
- Log-in / launch commonly used apps
- Launch the VPN if needed to use your common apps and connect to share drives (files)
- Make a phone call with Skype, test your mic and sound
- Launch a Zoom meeting
Non-university Computer Setup
- Open your email in a browser with Outlook Web App
- Setup and run a Vet Med RemoteApp that you have access to
- Remote into your work computer
- Test call forwarding from work if applicable.
- Test the Skype App on your mobile device if using.
Items to bring home
- Laptop power cable
- 2FA token
Working from Home How Tos
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
Remote Application Setup
Note: Network drives can also be accessed by a non-university computer if a VPN is running on that computer.
Skype for Business:
Knowledgebase General How Tos: