A. Doctoral thesis title
B. Books Authored or Co-Authored (in print or accepted)
C. Books Edited or Co-Edited (in print or accepted)
D. Chapters in Books ( in print or accepted)
1. Hess RA, Moore BJ. 1993 Histological Methods for the Evaluation of the Testis. In: Methods in Reproductive Toxicology, Chapin RE and Heindel JJ (eds). Academic Press: San Diego, CA, pp. 52-85.
2. Cooke PS, Hess RA, Kirby JD, Bunick D, Hardy MP. 1994 Neonatal propylthiouracil (PTU) treatment as a model system for studying factors controlling testis growth and sperm production. In: Function of Somatic Cells in the Testis, Bartke A (ed). Springer-Verlag:New York, pp. 400-407.
3. Hess RA, Bunick D, Bahr JM. 1995. Sperm, a source of estrogen. Environ Health Perspect. 103: Suppl 7, 59-62.
4. Bahr JM, Kwon W, Hess RA, Bunick D. 1997. Estrogens and male reproduction: aromatase in sperm and estrogen receptors in the epididymal region. In: Harvey S, Etches RJ (eds), Perspectives in Avian Endocrinology, J. Endocrinology Ltd, Bristol, UK, pp. 183-192.
5. Klinefelter, G.R. and Hess, R.A. 1998. Toxicity of the excurrent ducts and accessory organs in the male. In: Reproductive and developmental toxicology. (eds. K. S. Korach), Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 553-591.
6. Hess RA 1998 Spermatogenesis, Overview. In: Encyclopedia of Reproduction. vol. 4 (eds. E. Knobil and J. D. Neill), Academic Press, San Diego, 539-545.
7. Hess RA. 2000. Estrogen and the male reproductive tract. In: Francavilla F, Francavilla S, Forti G, editors. The First European Congress of Andrology. L'Aquila, Italy: Litografia Brandolini. p 279-298.
8. Cooke, P. S., R. E. Peterson and R. A. Hess (2002). Handbook of Toxicologic Pathology. Endocrine Disruptors. W. M. Haschek, C. G. Rousseaux and M. Wallig. San Diego, Academic Press. 2: 501-528.
9. Hess RA. 2002. The Efferent Ductules: Structure and Functions. In: The Epididymis: from molecules to clinical practice (eds. B. Robaire and B. Hinton), Plenum Publishing Corporation, New York. p. 49-80.
10. Hess RA, Zhou Q, Nie R. 2002. The role of estrogens in the endocrine and paracrine regulation of the efferent ductules, epididymis and vas deferens. In: The Epididymis: from molecules to clinical practice (eds. B. Robaire and B. Hinton), Plenum Publishing Corporation, New York. p. 317-338.
E. Invited Reviews and Monographs ( in print or accepted)
1. Cooke PS, Arambepola NK, Kirby JD, Hardy MP, Hess RA and Bunick D. 1997. Thyroid hormone regulation of the development of the testis and its constituent cell types. Polish J Endocrinol. 48, 43-58.
2. Hess RA. 1998. Effects of environmental toxicants on the efferent ductules, epididymis and fertility. J. Reprod. Fertil. Suppl. 53:247-259.
3.. ~Hess RA, Bunick D, Bahr J. 2001. Oestrogen, its receptors and function in the male reproductive tract-a review. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 178:29-38.
4. ~Hess RA, Zhou, Q., Nie, R., Oliveira, C., Cho, H., Nakai, M. and Carnes, K. 2001. Estrogens and epididymal function. Reprod Fertil Dev. 13:273-283.
5. Hess , R.A. 2003. Estrogen in the adult male reproductive tract: A review. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 1, 52.
6. Hess , R.A. and Carnes, K. 2004. The role of estrogen in testis and the male reproductive tract: a review and species comparison. Anim. Reprod. 1, 5-30.
F. Articles in Journals (in print or accepted)
90. Nie, R., Zhou, Q., Jassim, E., Saunders, P.T.K. and Hess, R.A. 2002. Differential expression of estrogen receptors a & b in the reproductive tract of the adult male dog and cat. Biol Reprod. 66:1161-1168.
91. Oliveira, C.A., Carnes, K., Zhou, Q., Nie, R., Kuehl, D.E., Jackson, G.L., França, L.R., Nakai, M. and Hess RA. 2002. Estrogen receptor function in the adult male rat: short and long-term effects of the antiestrogen ICI 182,780 on the testis and efferent ductules, without changes in testosterone. Endocrinology 143:2399-2409.
92. Lin M, Hess R, and Aitken RJ, 2002. Induction of sperm maturation in vitroin epididymal cell cultures of the tammar wallaby (Macropus eugenii): disruption of motility initiation and sperm morphogenesis by inhibition of actin polymerization. Reproduction 124:107-117.
93. Zhou, Q., Nie, R., Prins, G.S., Saunders, P.T.K., Katzenellenbogen, B.S. and Hess, R.A. 2002. Localization of androgen and estrogen receptors in the adult male mouse reproductive tract. J. Androl. 23, 870-881.
94. Nakai M, Miller MG, Carnes K and Hess RA. 2002. Stage specific effects of the fungicide carbendazim on Sertoli cell microtubules in the rat testis. Tissue and Cell 34, 73-80.
95. Correa LM, Nakai M, Strandgaard CS, Hess RA and Miller MG. 2002. Microtubules of the Mouse Testis Exhibit Differential Sensitivity to the Microtubule Disruptors Carbendazim and Colchicine. Toxicol Sci. 69:175-182.
96. Mahecha, GA, Oliveira, CA, Balzuweit, K and Hess, RA. 2002. Epididymal lithiasis in roosters and efferent ductule and testicular damage. Reproduction. 124: 821-834.
97. Witzmann FA, Bobb A, Briggs GB, Coppage HN, Hess RA, Li J, Pedrick NM, Ritchie GD, Rossi J, Still KR, 2003. Analysis of rat testicular protein expression following 91-day exposure to JP-8 jet fuel vapor. Proteomics 3:1016-1027.
98. Frasor, J., Barnett, D.H., Danes, J.M., Hess , R., Parlow, A.F. and Katzenellenbogen, B.S. 2003. Response-Specific and Ligand Dose-Dependent Modulation of Estrogen Receptor (ER) alpha Activity by ERbeta in the Uterus. Endocrinology. 144, 3159-3166.
99. Cho HW, Carnes K, Nie R, Zhou Q, Sharief NAQ, Hess RA, 2003. The antiestrogen ICI 182,780 induces early effects on the adult male mouse reproductive tract and long-term decreased fertility without testicular atrophy. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 1, 57.
100. Oliveira C, Nie R, Carnes K, Franca LR, Prins GS, Saunders PTK, Hess RA . 2003. The antiestrogen ICI 182,780 decreases the expression of estrogen receptor-alpha but has no effect on estrogen receptor-beta and androgen receptor in rat efferent ductules. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 1, 75.
101. DuTeaux SB, Berger T, Hess RA, Sartini BL and Miller MG. 2004. Male Reproductive Toxicity of Trichloroethylene: Sperm Protein Oxidation and Decreased Fertilizing Ability. Biol Reprod 70:1518-1526.
102. Kuster CE, Hess RA and Althouse GC. 2004. Immunofluorescence reveals ubiquitination of retained distal cytoplasmic droplets on ejaculated porcine spermatozoa. J Androl 25:340-347.
103. Oliveira C, Mahecha, GA, Carnes K, Prins GS, Saunders PTK, Franca LR and Hess RA. 2004. Differential hormonal regulation of estrogen receptors ERalpha and ERbeta and androgen receptor expression in the rat efferent ductules. Reproduction 128:73-86.
104. Chen C, Ouyang W, Grigura V, Zhou Q, Carnes K, Lim H, Zhao G-Q, Arber S, Kurpios N, Murphy TL, Cheng AM, Hassell JA, Chandrashekar V, Hofmann M-C, Hess RA, Murphy KM. 2005. ERM is required for transcriptional control of the spermatogonial stem cell niche. Nature 436:1030-1034.
105. Holsberger DR, Buchold GM, Leal MC, Kiesewetter SE, O'Brien D A, Hess RA, Franca LR, Kiyokawa H, Cooke PS (2005) Cell-cycle inhibitors p27Kip1 and p21Cip1 regulate murine Sertoli cell proliferation. Biol Reprod 72:1429-36.
106. Ruz R, Gregory M, Smith CE, Cyr DG, Lubahn DB, Hess RA, Hermo L. 2006. Expression of aquaporins in the efferent ductules, sperm counts, and sperm motility in estrogen receptor-alpha deficient mice fed lab chow versus casein. Mol Reprod Dev. 73:226-237.
107. Khor B, Bredemeyer AL, Huang CY, Turnbull IR, Evans R, Maggi LB, Jr., White JM, Walker LM, Carnes K, Hess RA, Sleckman BP. 2006. Proteasome activator PA200 is required for normal spermatogenesis. Mol Cell Biol 26:2999-3007.
108. Surace, EI, Strickland, AM, Hess, RA, Gutmann, DH and Naughton, CK. 2006. Tslc1 (nectin-like molecule-2) is essential for spermatozoa motility and male fertility. J Androl 27: 816-825.
109. Cooke PS, Hess RA, Simon L, Schlesser HN, Carnes K, Tyagi G, Hofmann M-C and Murphy KM. 2006. The transcription factor Ets-related molecule (ERM) is essential for spermatogonial stem cell maintenance and self-renewal. Anim Reprod 3(2): 98-107.
110. Picciarelli-Lima P, Oliveira AG, Reis AM, Kalapothakis E, Mahecha GA, Hess RA and Oliveira CA. 2006. Effects of 3-beta-diol, an androgen metabolite with intrinsic estrogen-like effects, in modulating the aquaporin-9 expression in the rat efferent ductules. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 4(1): 51.
111. Gist, DH, Bradshaw, S, Morrow, CM, Congdon, JD and Hess, RA. 2007. Estrogen response system in the reproductive tract of the male turtle: An immunocytochemical study. Gen Comp Endocrinol 151(1): 27-33.
112. Hild, SA, Marshall, GR, Attardi, BJ, Hess, RA, Schlatt, S, Simorangkir, DR, Ramaswamy, S, Koduri, S, Reel, JR and Plant, TM. 2007. Development of l-cdb-4022 as a nonsteroidal male oral contraceptive: Induction and recovery from severe oligospermia in the adult male cynomolgus monkey (macaca fascicularis). Endocrinology 148(4): 1784-1796.
113. Simon, L, Ekman, GC, Tyagi, G, Hess, RA, Murphy, KM and Cooke, PS. 2007. Common and distinct factors regulate expression of mRNA for ETV5 and GDNF, Sertoli cell proteins essential for spermatogonial stem cell maintenance. Exp Cell Res 313(14): 3090-3099.
114. Oliveira, AG, Telles, LF, Hess, RA, Mahecha, GA and Oliveira, CA. 2007. Effects of the herbicide roundup on the epididymal region of drakes Anas platyrhynchos. Reprod Toxicol 23(2): 182-191.
115. Oliveira, AG, Coelho, PH, Guedes, FD, Mahecha, GA, Hess, RA and Oliveira, CA. 2007. 5alpha-androstane-3beta,17beta-diol (3beta-diol), an estrogenic metabolite of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone, is a potent modulator of estrogen receptor ERbeta expression in the ventral prostrate of adult rats. Steroids 72(14): 914-922.
116. Martin, LJ, Chen, H, Liao, X, Allayee, H, Shih, DM, Lee, GS, Hovland, DN, Jr., Robbins, WA, Carnes, K, Hess, RA, Lusis, AJ and Collins, MD. 2007. Fk506, a calcineurin inhibitor, prevents cadmium-induced testicular toxicity in mice. Toxicol Sci 100(2): 474-485.
117. Dornas, RA, Oliveira, AG, Kalapothakis, E, Hess, RA, Mahecha, GA and Oliveira, CA. 2007. Distribution of vitamin D3 receptor in the epididymal region of roosters (gallus domesticus) is cell and segment specific. Gen Comp Endocrinol 150(3): 414-418.
118. Dass, B, Tardif, S, Park, JY, Tian, B, Weitlauf, HM, Hess, RA, Carnes, K, Griswold, MD, Small, CL and Macdonald, CC. 2007. Loss of polyadenylation protein tauCstF-64 causes spermatogenic defects and male infertility. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104(51): 20374-20379
119. Morrow, C, Hostetler, C, Griswold, M, Hofmann, MC, Murphy, K, Cooke, PS and Hess, RA. 2007. ETV5 is required for continuous spermatogenesis in adult mice and may mediate blood-testes barrier function and testicular immune privilege. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1120: 144-151.
120. Zhou Q, Nie R, Li Y, Friel P, Mitchell D, Hess RA, Small C and Griswold MD. 2008. Expression of Stimulated by Retinoic Acid Gene 8 (Stra8) in Spermatogenic Cells Induced by Retinoic Acid: an in vivo Study in Vitamin A Sufficient Postnatal Murine Testes. Biol Reprod. 79:35-42.
121. Schlesser HN, Simon L, Hofmann MC, Murphy KM, Murphy T, Hess RA, Cooke PS. 2008. Effects of ETV5 (Ets Variant Gene 5) on testis and body growth, time course of spermatogonial stem cell loss, and fertility in mice. Biol Reprod. 78:483-489.
122. Stutler, SA, Johnson, EW, Still, KR, Schaeffer, DJ, Hess, RA and Arfsten, AD. 2008. Effect of method of euthanasia on sperm motility of mature sprague-dawley rats. J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci 46(2): 13-20.
123. Oliveira, AG, Dornas, RA, Kalapothakis, E, Hess, RA, Mahecha, GA and Oliveira, CA. 2008. Vitamin D3 and androgen receptors in testis and epididymal region of roosters (gallus domesticus) as affected by epididymal lithiasis. Anim Reprod Sci 109:343-355.
124. Morrow C, Gaurav T, Simon L, Carnes K, Murphy T, Murphy K, Cooke PS, Hofmann MC and Hess, RA. (2008). Murine seminiferous epithelial claudin-5 expression is present in both germ cells and Sertoli cells, is dependent upon the transcription factor ets-variant 5, and contributes to blood-testis barrier function. Biol Reprod. 81:871-879.
125. Netzel-Arnett S, Bugge TH, Hess RA, Carnes K, Stringer BW, Scarman AL, Hooper JD, Tonks ID, Kay GF and Antalis TM. (2009) The glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI)-anchored serine protease Testisin directs epididymal sperm cell maturation and fertilizing ability. Biol Reprod 81(5): 921-932.
126. Oliveira, CA, Victor-Costa AB and Hess RA (2009). "Cellular and Regional Distributions of Ubiquitin-Proteasome and Endocytotic Pathway Components in the Epithelium of Rat Efferent Ductules and Initial Segment of the Epididymis." J Androl. 30:590-601.
127. Stroud, CK, Nara TY, Roqueta-Rivera M, Radlowski EC, Lawrence P, Zhang Y, Cho BH, Segre M, Hess RA, Brenna JT, Haschek WM and Nakamura MT (2009). Disruption of FADS2 gene in mice impairs male reproduction and causes dermal and intestinal ulceration. J Lipid Res 50:1870-1880.
128. Tyagi, G, Carnes K, Morrow C, Kostereva N, Ekman GC, Meling DD, Hostetler C, Griswold M, Murphy KM, Hess RA, Hofmann MC and Cooke PS (2009). Loss of Etv5 decreases proliferation and RET levels in neonatal mouse testicular germ cells and causes an abnormal first wave of spermatogenesis. Biol Reprod 81:258-266.
129. Simon, L, Ekman GC, Kostereva N, Zhang Z, Hess RA, Hofmann MC and Cooke PS (2009). Direct transdifferentiation of stem/progenitor spermatogonia into reproductive and nonreproductive tissues of all germ layers. Stem Cells 27:1666-1675.
130. Roqueta-Rivera, M, Stroud CK, Haschek WM, Akare SJ, Segre M, Brush RS, Agbaga MP, Anderson RE, Hess RA and Nakamura MT (2010). Docosahexaenoic acid supplementation fully restores fertility and spermatogenesis in male delta-6 desaturase knockout mice. Journal of Lipid Research 51:360-367.
131. Avelar GF, Oliveira CF, Soares JM, Silva IJ, Dobrinski I, Hess RA and Franca LR (2010). Postnatal somatic cell proliferation and seminiferous tubule maturation in pigs: A non-random event. Theriogenology.
132. Joseph A, Hess R, Schaeffer DJ, Ko C, Hudgin-Spivey S, Chambon P and Shur BD (2010). Absence of Estrogen Receptor Alpha Leads to Physiological Alterations in the Mouse Epididymis and Consequent Defects in Sperm Function. Biol Reprod 82: 948-957. PMID: 20130267
133. Joseph A, Shur BD, Ko C, Chambon P and Hess RA (2010). Epididymal Hypo-Osmolality Induces Abnormal Sperm Morphology and Function in the Estrogen Receptor Alpha Knockout Mouse. Biol Reprod 82: 958-967. PMID: 20130266
134. George M, Rainey MA, Naramura M, Ying G, Harms DW, Vitaterna MH, Doglio L, Crawford SE, Hess RA, Band V and Band H. (2010). Ehd4 is required to attain normal pre-pubertal testis size but dispensable for fertility in male mice. Genesis.
135. Simon L, Hess RA and Cooke PS (2010). Spermatogonial stem cells, in vivo transdifferentiation and human regenerative medicine. Expert Opin Biol Ther 10(4): 519-530.
136. Rainey MA, George M, Ying G, Akakura R, Burgess DJ, Siefker E, Bargar T, Doglio L, Crawford SE, Todd GL, Govindarajan V, Hess RA, Band V, Naramura M and Band H (2010). The endocytic recycling regulator EHD1 is essential for spermatogenesis and male fertility in mice. BMC Dev Biol 10(1): 37. PMID: 20359371
137. Morrow CM, Mruk D, Cheng CY and Hess RA (2010). Claudin and occludin expression and function in the seminiferous epithelium. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365(1546): 1679-1696. PMID: 20403878
138. Carreau S and Hess RA (2010). Oestrogens and spermatogenesis. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365(1546): 1517-1535. PMID: 20403867
1. Computer Programs:
2. Publications Selected For Journal Covers
H. Bulletins, Reports, or Conference Proceedings (in print or accepted)
I. Abstracts (in print or accepted)
75. Pereyra-Martinez AC, Hess RA, Resko JA. 1999. Cytochrome P450 aromatase mRNA in Rhesus monkey testes detected by in situ hybridization. Annual Meeting of The Endocrine Society.
76. Lee K-H, Hess RA, Lubahn D, Bahr B, Bunick D. 1999. Antiestrogen (ICI 182,780) treatment of normal male mice mimics morphological effects on the testis and efferent ductules seen in estrogen receptor alpha knockout mice (ERKO). Serono Symposia USA, XV North American Testis Workshop, Louisville, KY.
77. Rosenfeld CS, Cooke PS, Welsh TH, Simmer GS, Hufford MG, Hess RA, Lubahn DB. 1999. The differential fate of the mesonephric tubules (efferent ductules) in estrogen receptor-a knockout (ERaKO) versus wild-type (wt) female mice. Annual Meeting of The Endocrine Society.
78. Silva Júnior VA, Hess RA, França LR. 1999. Effects of Neonatal Hyperthyroidism Induced by Administration of Triidothyronine (T3) on Sertoli Cell and Leydig Cell Numbers in the Testis of Postpubertal Landrace Boars. Brazilian EM and Cell Biology Meeting, Sao Paulo.
79. Hess RA, 1999. Estrogen in the male reproductive tract. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 155:160.
80. Nakai M, Miller MG, Hess RA. 2000. Early response of the testis to an oral exposure to the fungicide carbendazim in the rat. Annual Meeting of the Society of Toxicology, 4/23/2000, Philadelphia, PA,
81. Nie R, Zhou Q, Jassim E, Hess RA. 2000. Localization of estrogen receptor-a in the reproductive tract of adult male dogs and cats: an immunohistochemical study. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Andrology, Boston.
82. Zhou Q, Nie R, Hess RA. 2000. Immunolocalization of several steroid hormone receptors in efferent ductules of adult rat. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Andrology, Boston.
83. Qing Zhou, David Bunick, Lane Clarke, Y. Howard Lien, Ki-Ho Lee, Carrol Bunick, Rong Nie, Dennis Lubahn, Li-Wen Lai, Rex A. Hess. 2000. Carbonic anhydrase II (CAII) and sodium/hydrogen exchanger (NHE3) in efferent ductules of the male estrogen receptor-alpha; knockout mouse (alphaERKO) and comparison to CAII and NHE-3 deficient mice. Meeting Society for the Study of Reproduction. Madison, Wisconsin.
84. Kay Carnes, David Bunick, Dennis Lubahn, Rex Hess. 2000. Morphological differences in postnatal development of the testis, rete testis, and efferent ductules in the estrogen receptor-a knock out mouse (aERKO). Society for the Study of Reproduction. Madison, WI.
85. Ki-Ho Lee, David Bunick, Rex Hess, Dennis Lubahn, Janice Bahr. 2000. Antiestrogen (ICI 182,780) treatment of normal male mice produces similar morphological effects on the testis and efferent ductules as seen in the estrogen receptor knockout mouse. Society for the Study of Reproduction. Madison, WI.
86. Hyun Wook Cho, Noaman A.Q. Sharief, kay Carnes, David Bunick, Rex Hess. 2000. Effects of the anti-estrogen ICI 182,780 on testis and efferent ductules of the adult male mouse. Society for the Study of Reproduction, Madison, WI.
87. Cleida Oliveira, Kay Carnes, Luiz Franca, Rex Hess. 2000. Effects of the anti-estrogen ICI 182,780 on testis and efferent ductules of the adult male rat. Society for the Study of Reproduction. Madison, WI.
88. Qing Zhou, David Bunick, Lane Clarke, Y. Howard Lien, Ki-Ho Lee, Carrol Bunick, Rong Nie, Dennis Lubahn, Li-Wen Lai, Rex A. Hess. 2001. Estrogen Regulation of Fluid Transport Systems in the Male Reproductive Tract. Experimental Biology 2001, March 31-April 4, Orlando, Florida.
89. Hyun Wook Cho, Sung Tae Yee and Rex A. Hess. 2001. Localization of mercury compound in testis, efferent ductule and epididymis of the adult mouse. International Conference of The Korean Society of Toxicology. P-10, 118.
90. Q. Zhou, R. Nie, K. Carnes, L. Clarke, A. Verkman, D. Lubahn, H.W. Cho, J. Fisher, R.A. Hess. 2001. Estrogen receptor-alpha and regulation of sodium/hydrogen exchanger-3 and aquaporin-1 in efferent ductules of the male. Endocrine Society, Denver, CO.
91. Qing Zhou, Lane Clarke, Rong Nie, Kay Carnes, Li-Wen Lai, Yeong-Hau H. Lien, Alan Verkman, Dennis Lubahn, Jane S. Fisher, Benita S. Katzenellenbogen and Rex A. Hess. 2001. Estrogen action and male fertility: roles of the sodium/hydrogen exchanger-3 and fluid reabsorption in reproductive tract function. e.hormone 2001, October 18-20, 2001, New Orleans, LA.
92. Cleida A. Oliveira, Kay Carnes, Qing Zhou, Rong Nie, David E. Kuehl, Gary L. Jackson, Luiz R. França, Masaaki Nakai, Rex A. Hess. 2002. Short and long-term effects of the antiestrogen ICI 182,780 on the testis and efferent ductules, without changes in testosterone. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Andrology, Seattle.
93. F.M. Pereira, G.C. Bregunci, G.D. Cassali, R.A. Hess, L.R. França. 2002. Cyclins expression in somatic cells of the testis in neonatal wistar rats. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Andrology, Seattle.
94. Zhou Q, Al-Awqati Q, Nie R, Carnes K, Lubahn D, Hess R. 2002. Potential estrogen regulation of hensin, an epithelial terminal differentiation gene in the male reproductive tract. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Andrology, Seattle.
95. Miranda, J.R., Rocha D.C.M., Hess, RA., Cassali, GD., Franca, LR. 2002. Sertoli cell proliferation in the transition between seminferous tubules and the rete testis. European Testis Workshop.
96. Qing Zhou, Rong Nie, Kay Carnes, Cleida Oliveira, and Rex A. Hess, 2002. Short and long-term effects of the antiestrogen ICI 182,780 on the testis and efferent ductules, without changes in testosterone. Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Reproduction, Baltimore.
97. Qing Zhou, Qais Al-Awqati, Rong Nie, Kay Carnes, Dennis Lubahn, Rex A. Hess, 2003. Estrogen Regulation of Epithelial Differentiation in the Male Reproductive Tract During Development and in the Adult. Annual meeing of the Endocrine Society, San Francisco.
98. C.S. Sloan, S.A. Anderson, C.E. Cook, R.A. Hess, H.A. Navarro, B.F. Thomas, 2003. Effects of RTI 4587-073(I) on spermatogenesis in the adult New Zealand White (NZW) rabbit: a potentially reversible nonsteroidal contraceptive. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Andrology, Phoenix.
99. Oliveira CL, Carnes K, França LR, Hess RA. 2003. The antiestrogen ICI 182,780 decreases the expression of estrogen receptor-a but has no effect on ERb and the androgen receptor in rat efferent ductules. Integration Congress on Biology of Reproduction 2003, Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil, April 12-15.
100. Oliveira CL, Mahecha GAB, Carnes K, França LR, Hess RA. 2003. Differential hormonal regulation of estrogen receptors ERa and ERb and androgen receptor expression in the rat efferent ductules: effects of castration and hormone replacement. Integration Congress on Biology of Reproduction 2003, Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil, April 12-15.
101. Oliveira CL, Mahecha GAB, Carnes K, França LR, Hess RA. 2003. Aquaporins 1 and 9 are differentially regulated by estrogen in the rat efferent ductule epithelium and the inital segment of the epididymis. Integration Congress on Biology of Reproduction 2003, Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil, April 12-15.
102. Madeu AM, Leite FGG, Oliveira CA , Hess RA, Mahecha GAB. 2003. Induction of epididymal lithiasis in roosters and japanese quails by using culture of testis-epididymis macerate extrated from birds affected by the disease. Integration Congress on Biology of Reproduction 2003, Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil, April 12-15.
103. Ford JA,Jr.,Carnes K, Hess RA. 2004. Morphological evaluation of efferent ductules in adult male hamsters. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Andrology, Baltimore.
104. P. S. Cooke, D. R. Holsberger, R. A. Hess, L. R. Franca, H. Kiyokawa. 2004. Thyroid hormone regulation of Sertoli cell proliferation may be mediated through the cell cycle inhibitors p27Kip1 AND p21Cip1. The XXII Symposium on Reproductive Biology and Comparative Endocrinology, Madras, India
105. DR Holsberger, G Buchold, DA O’Brien, RA Hess, LR Franca, H Kiyokawa and PS Cooke. 2004. Cell cycle inhibitors p27KIP1 and p21CIP1 regulate Sertoli cell proliferation. Annual meeting of the American Society of Andrology, Baltimore, MD.
106. Lohrke SM, Stutler SA, Johnson EW, Miller JE, Hess RA, Carnes K, Schaeffer DJ, Arfsten DP. 2004. Impact of method of euthanasia on sperm motility of older adult Sprague-Dawley rats. Annual meeting of the Society of Toxicology, Baltimore, MD..
J. Book Reviews (in print or accepted)
Invited Lectures and Invited Conference Presentations Since Last Promotion
Invited speaker at the United Nations University Symposium on Environment and Human Health, held at the University of Ulm, Federal Republic of Germany, March 4-8, 1990.
Speaker, 16th Annual Symposium, CL Davis, on Veterinary and Comparative Pathology, entitled, "Diagnostic Toxicologic Pathology," University of Illinois, Urbana, July 2, 1992.
Invited lecture for the Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University Medical School, Carbondale. October 8, 1992.
Invited lecture for the Population Council, New York, NY. October 29, 1992.Invited lecture for the LaJolla Cancer Research Foundation, LaJolla, CA. March 1, 1993.
Invited lecture for the Department of Physiology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA May 6, 1993.
Invited lecture for the Department of Ob/Gyn, University of Illinois, College of Medicine, Chicago, IL, November 17, 1993.
Invited speaker for the Symposium on Estrogens in the Environment III: Global Health Implications. Washington, D.C., January 9-11, sponsored by NIEHS, 1994.
Invited lecture for the Reproductive Toxicology Branch, Developmental Toxicology Division, United States Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC, April 21, 1994.
Invited lecture for the School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, October 17, 1994.
Invited speaker for the Society of Toxicology, Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD. Neonatal Thyroid Status as one Determinant of Adult Testis Size. March 8, 1995.
Invited lecture for the Department of Physiology/Pharmacology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Auburn University, Auburn, AL, April 27, 1995.
Invited lecture for the Department of Anatomy, College of Veterinary Medicine, Tuskeegee University, AL, April 28, 1995.
Speaker at Ciba-Geigy Corporation, Department of Research-Pathology, Summit, NJ, May 15-16, 1995.
Speaker at Central States Microscopy Society Meeting, Champaign, IL, May 19, 1995.
Speaker at Pfizer, Inc., Department of Pathology, Groton, CT, July 25-26, 1995.
Speaker at Dow Chemical Company, Department of Pathology, Midland, MI, August 17-18, 1995.
Speaker at Searle-Monsanto Company, Department of Pathology, Chicago, IL, May 15-16, 1996.
"Histopathological Evaluation of the Testis." Invited course, Pfizer, Inc., Centre de Recherche, Department of Pathology, Amboise, France, June 18-21, 1996.
Invited lecture at the Institute for Reproductive Biology, Prince Henry's Institute of Medical Research, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia. June 26, 1996.
Invited speaker at the Gordon Research Conference on Reproductive Tract Biology, July 7 - 12, 1996, Plymouth State College, Plymouth, New Hampshire
Invited speaker at the fall meeting of the Great Lakes Discussion Group of the Society of Toxicologic Pathology. "Male Reproductive Toxicologic Pathology", University of Illinois, October 25, 1996.
Invited poster presentation, "The adult male estrogen receptor knock-out mouse has abnormal efferent ductules of the testis," at the Philippe Laudat Conferences sponsored by INSERM. November 10-14, 1996, Aix-le-Bains, France.
Invited seminar, "The role of estrogen in the male reproductive tract." Institut für Reproduktionsmedizin, Westfälische Wilhems-Universität Münster, Germany. November 16, 1996.
Invited seminar, "Factors regulating testis size" Institut für Reproduktionsmedizin, Westfälische Wilhems-Universität Münster, Germany. November 15, 1996.
Invited seminar, "Use of the estrogen receptor knock-out transgenic mouse to study male reproduction ." Universite de Rennes, Campus de Beaullou, Rennes, France. November 18, 1996.
Invited Speaker at Parke-Davis Pharmaceutical Research, Ann Arbor, MI, June 5, 1997. "Histopathological Evaluation of the Testis."
Invited Speaker at the United States Environmental Protection Agency, Reproductive Toxicology Branch, Research Triangle Park, NC. "Histopathological evaluation of the testis." September 26, 1997.
Invited speaker, The Boden Conference on "The epididymis: cellular and molecular aspects," supported by the Australian Academy of Science, February 1998, in Robertson, NSW, Australia." Effects of environmental toxicants on the efferent ducts, epididymis and fertility."
Invited speaker at the Environmental Horizons 98, University of Illinois-Urbana. "Estrogen, fungicides and male infertility." 1998
Invited speaker at the Gordon Research Conference on Reproductive Tract Biology, "Hormonal effects in the epididymis," Plymouth State College, Plymouth, New Hampshire, July 5-10, 1998.
Invited speaker, McGill University, Departments of Pharmacology & Therapeutics and Anatomy and Cell Biology, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, June 16, 1998.
Invited speaker, University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, July 15-23, 1998.
Invited speaker, International Conference on Estrogens and Human Health, "Estrogen regulates fluid reabsorption in the head of the epididymis". University of Illinois, Champaign. October 2-3, 1998.
Seminar, Dept of Biological Sciences, University of Newcastle, Australia, Nov. 27, 1998.
Symposium Lecture, American Society of Andrology, Louisville, KY, April 12, 1999.
Invited speaker, Chemical Industry Institute of Toxicology, Research Triangle Park, NC, May 17, 1999.
Plenary Lecture, International Workshop, Estrogens and Male Reproduction, Crotone, Italy, Sept. 23-24, 1999.
Invited speaker, Estrogens and Male Reproduction, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, Oct 12, 1999.
Symposium Lecture, Estrogens and Male Reproduction , Brazilian Society for Cell Biology, Oct. 13-15, 1999.
Invited speaker, Histopathological evaluation of the testis, The National Institute of Nutrition, Mexico City, Mexico. November 15, 1999.
Invited speaker, Estrogens and Male Reproduction, The National Institute of Perinatology, Mexico City, Mexico. November 16, 1999.
Invited speaker, Symposium on Estrogen and male reproduction. 1st European Congress of Andrology, March 24-27, 2000. L'Aquila, Italy.
Invited Discussant, Fourth Annual Workshop entitled Frontiers in Estrogen Action, Palm Beach, Florida, April 12-14, 2000.
Syposium lecture, International Center for Biotechnology and Eurosterone Symposium on Nuclear Receptors in Health and Disease, Huddinge, Sweden, Sept. 24-27, 2000.
Invited speaker, The Boden Research Conference 2000 on "Estrogens and Male Health," supported by the Australian academy of Science, the Australian Society of Reproductive Biology and Endocrine Society of Australia, November 2-3, 2000, in Sydney, NSW, Australia.
Invited speaker. "Potential role of estrogens in male contraception." Cooperative research Centre for the Biological Control of Pest Animals. Canberra, Australia. November 7, 2000.
Invited Speaker. "Estrogen and the male." Monash Institute of Reproduction and Development, Prince Henry's Institute of Medical Research Melbourne, Victoria 3168 Australia. November 9, 2000.
Invited Symposium Lecture, "Estrogen and male reproductive function." Society for Gynecologic Investigation, Toronto, Canada, March 16, 2001.
Invited lecture, "The female hormone controls male fertility: estrogen and fluid reabsorption in the epididymis," Reproductive Biology Program, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, April 30, 2001.
Invited lecture, "The female hormone controls male fertility: estrogen and fluid reabsorption in the epididymis," Cell Biology Program, University of Idaho, May 4, 2001.
Invited lecture, "Estrogens and Fertility in the Male," e.hormone 2001, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA. October 18-20.
Invited lecture, Workshop on Genomic vs. Non-Genomic Steroid Actions: Encountered or Unified Views. Centre for International Meetings on Biology, Juan March Institute for Study and Research, Madrid, Spain, 17-19 December, 2001.
Invited lecture. "Estrogen regulates male fertility: how toxicology led to this discovery." Dept. of Pharmacology and Toxicology, The University of Texas at Austin. January 30-31, 2002.
Invited lecture. "Estrogen regulates male fertility through ion transport mechanisms." Dept. of Biochemistry, Università degli Studi di Bari, Bari, Italy. February 16-20, 2002.
Invited lecture, "A role for estrogens in the male reproductive system: the impact of xenoestrogens." Gordon Research Conference on Environmental Endocrine Disruptors at Mt. Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts, July 14-19, 2002.
Invited Speaker, Minisymposium on Effects of Estrogen on Gonadal Function, 35th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Reproduction, Baltimore, MD, July 27-July 31, 2002.
Invited Speaker, "Role of Herbicides and Pesticides on Endocrine Disruption," Society for Theriogenology Annual Conference, Colorado Springs, CO, August 7-11, 2002.
Invited Speaker, "Estrogens and Efferent Ducts," International Congress on Hormonal Steroids and Hormones and Cancer, Fukuoka City, Japan, October 21-25, 2002.
Invited Speaker, "Estrogen and male reproduction: source, target, function and potential effects of environmental estrogens," University of Yokohama, Japan, October 28, 2002.
Invited Speaker, "Estrogen importance in the male: from a curiosity to absolute necessity". Yamanouchi Pharmaceutical Co, Japan, October 29, 2002.
Invited Speaker, "Complexity of the Testis Made Simple and Fun," American Society of Andrology 28 th Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, March 29, 2003.
Invited Speaker, "Estrogen importance in the male: from a curiosity to absolute necessity," Mini-symposium at the Institute of Biological Sciences, Federal University, Belo Horizonte, Brazil. April 11.
Invited Speaker, "Estrogen importance in the male," International Congress on Biology of Reproduction 2003, Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil, April 12-15.
Invited Speaker, "Estrogen in the male," Research Triangle Institute, North Carolina, May 9, 2003.
Invited Speaker, "Evaluation of Spermatogenesis," Washington University School of Medicine, St.Louis, MO, July 25, 2003.
Invited Symposium Keynote Speaker, "Epididymal Toxicology," 1 st European Congress of Toxicological Pathology, Hamburg, Germany, September 24-27, 2003.
Invited Symposium Keynote Speaker, "Estrogen and male fertility," 1 st European Congress of Toxicological Pathology, Hamburg, Germany, September 24-27, 2003.
Invited Speaker, "Estrogen importance in the male: from a curiosity to absolute necessity," Department of Endocrinology and Cell Biology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands, September 29, 2003.
Total number of Invited Scientific Lectures since 1990 (as of May 2010): 91
Total number of lectures in foreign countries since 1990: 50
Foreign Countries (14): Austria, Australia, Brazil, Canada, England, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Sweden, Spain, Switzerland