Bird located ontop of the logoUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign logo. Open House College of Veterinary Medicine
Home   Facebook   Flickr
Dad and son looking into microscopes together

Demos and Exhibits

Toxicology

Toxicology is the study of the origin, clinical signs, and treatment of poisons. Toxicology is helpful if your pet eats something other than pet food.

Some food that people eat, such as chocolate, raisins, grapes and onions, are harmful to pets and can make them very sick. It is a good idea to know about common household food and items that are bad for your pets to eat.

Did you know:

  • Grapes and raisins can cause acute kidney failure in your dog?


  • Onions and garlic can cause red blood cells to burst (and lead to anemia) in your dog or cat?


  • The colorful glow sticks that you bring home from fireworks displays are nontoxic - but taste very bitter and can cause heavy drooling?


  • Most mouse/rat poisons do not kill instantly like it says on the package, but if your pet eats this you much seek veterinary treatment immediately?


  • Antifreeze is very sweet. A pet that eats antifreeze should be treated immediately, even though it may appear normal for the first 12 hours afterward?

View all Demos and Exhibits