Through the Center for One Health Illinois, researchers working in diverse biomedical disciplines agree to jointly train their graduate students in One Health concepts.
The Center funds research by DVM/MPH students completing the capstone project required for the MPH degree. Funding is awarded on the basis of scientific merit of projects with strong animal, ecosystem and human health components.
- Dr. Valerie Eisenbart (2011) is working with Dr. Yvette Johnson-Walker on a project titled The Association between Bacterial Load in Food and Environmental Surfaces of Restaurants and Public Health Departments Documentation of Food-Borne Illness Risk Factor Violations
- Dr. Dana Johnson (2012) is working with Dr. Marilyn O'Hara on a project titled Ecosystem Characteristics, Human-Bat Conflicts, and Bat Rabies in Illinois
- Dr. J. Charles Deutsch (2011) is working with Drs. Jen Langan, Mark Mitchell, Carol Maddox, Tom Meahan on a project titled Investigation of Antibiotic Resistance in Turtles and Fish from Salt Creek and Busse Woods with Varying Exposure to Outflow from a Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Dr. Nicole Dahm (2012) is studying the indicence trends and the spatial and temporal assocations of vector born illnesses in humans in Illinois with Dr. Jack Herrmann.
- Dr. Alison Pierce Abou-Daoud (2012) is analyzing risk factors for sporadic, non-typhoidal Salmonella in two counties in Illinois with Dr. Mark Dworkin from UIC-SPH.
- Jen LaVigne (2013) is studying chronic kidney disease in Nicaraguan sugar cane workers with Dr. Mark Dworkin from UIC-SPH and a group form Mt Sinai College of Medicine.
- Heather Davis (2013) is working with Dr. Gay Miller on predictors of success in foodborne outbreak investigations in the United States.
- Ian Sweeney (2014) is investigating the potential exchange of virulence and resistance genes of staph infecting canine companions with Drs. Carol Maddox and Yvette Johnson.
- Varun Goel, graduate student in pathobiology is studying the epidemiology of bluetongue and epizootic hemorrhagic disease in Illinois cervid and cattle with Dr. Marilyn O'Hara.
- Nathaniel Uchtmann, JD, third year medical student is writing an analysis of barriers to the development of an integrated One Health surveillance system in Illinois.
- Dr. Kelly DeBaene (2011) is working with Dr. Yvonne Nadler, Lincoln Park Zoo, and Dr. Jack Herrmann on a project titled, A Theoretical Model of an Avian-Human Influenza Outbreak at Lincoln Park Zoo.
- Dr. Keely Szilagyi (2011), while completing her laboratory animal residency at the University of Illinois-Chicago, is working with Dr. Wei Zhang on a project titled, Population-Specific Cytosine Modification Cytosine Modification Variation in MYLK and Health Disparities in Acute Lung Injury.
- Herrmann, JA, Kostiuk, SL, Dworkin, MD, Johnson, YJ. Temporal and spatial distribution of blastomycosis cases in humans and dogs in Illinois (2001-2007). JAVMA 239(3), August 1, 2011. 335 – 343.
- Wrobel L, Whittington JK, Pujol C, Oh Soon-Hwan, Ruiz MO, Pfaller MA, Diekema DJ, Soll DR, Hoyer LL. Molecular Phylogenetic Analysis of a Geographically and Temporally Matched Set of Candida albicans Isolates from Humans and Nonmigratory Wildlife in Central Illinois. Eukaryotic Cell September 2008 vol. 7 no. 9 1475-1486.
- Mathewson A, Johnson YJ, Myint M, Herrmann JA. MRSA and MRS in horses and their handlers. Under review
- Hickey, M, Nadler, Y. Simian Immunodeficiency Virus and Parasitism of Chimpanzees at Gombe National Park, Tanzania. Under review
- Burdorf, K, Herrmann, JA, Johnson, YJ, Myint, S. Antimicrobial resistance and genetic analysis of E. coli isolates obtained from dairy and beef cattle and free-living wild birds. Under review