News from the
College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Illinois
3225 Vet. Med. Basic Sciences Bldg.
2001 S. Lincoln Ave.
Urbana, IL 61802
June 3, 2013
Drive Extended: Aid for Animals Affected by Oklahoma Tornadoes
UPDATE: The drive for supplies was so successful that it has been extended until 5 pm, Thursday, June 6, when a second load of supplies will be taken to Oklahoma.
URBANA - Moved by the plight of animals-more than 150 horses alone were killed-and animal owners hit by the May 20 tornadoes in Oklahoma, personnel at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine are asking the public to donate items to assist horses, pets, and their owners.
"I am devastated by the tragedies in Oklahoma after the tornadoes and the loss of so many homes, lives, and barns," said Dr. Karie Vander Werf, a veterinarian completing a residency in the Large Animal Emergency and Critical Care group at the college's hospital.
Dr. Vander Werf reached out to veterinary student clubs and hospital leadership to organize a drive for supplies, and is partnering with nurses from Danville's Whitestar Home Health Agency, who are also collecting relief supplies, to deliver the donated items. The drive begins on Memorial Day and ends Friday, May 31, when a truck will depart for Oklahoma.
The following items are sought:
- Unopened packages of food for dogs, cats, horses, and small exotic pets
- Bedding for small and large animals (shavings, cedar, etc.)
- Food and water dishes
- Blankets, towels, beds for dogs and cats
- Cat litter
- Halters, lead ropes, collars, leashes (slip leads are best)
- Leg wraps for horses
- Latex gloves (small, medium)
- Pet shampoo (the animals are muddy)
- Paper towels
- Puppy pee pads
- U of I Large Animal Clinic, 1102 West Hazelwood Drive, and Small Animal Clinic, 1008 West Hazelwood Drive, Urbana (A map is here: vetmed.illinois.edu/vth/locationandmap.html )
- Champaign County Animal Control, 210 South Art Bartell Road, Urbana
- Hill Animal Care, 609 South Division Street, Mahomet
- Pet Supplies Plus, 2821 West Kirby Avenue, Champaign
- Prairieland Feeds, 303 South Dunlap Street, Savoy
- Rural King, 913 West Marketview Drive, Champaign
- VCA Heritage Animal Hospital, 2101 North Dunlap Street, Savoy
Veterinary student organizations at the University of Illinois assisting in the drive include the Illinois Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association; the Omega Tau Sigma veterinary service fraternity; the Shelter Medicine Club; the student chapter of the American Association of Feline Practitioners; the Veterinary Student Outreach Program; and the local rescue group CatSnap.
Elsewhere at the University of Illinois, the Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs is calling for volunteers to assist with fundraising for the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund in partnership with the American Red Cross and WCIA on Tuesday, May 28, from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Volunteers will collect funds from passers-by throughout the day. Proceeds will be donated to disaster relief in Moore, Oklahoma City, and other recent disasters.
Interested persons are encouraged to contact the Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or (217) 333-7424 to volunteer for a four-hour shift. Those interested in donating at the drive-by may bring a check or cash to the WCIA parking lot, or contact Kelly Formoso at the American Red Cross at (217) 351-5861.