Campus-wide Illinois Chat Service
[This message was sent via BCC to all Vet Med faculty, staff and students]
What is Illinois Chat?
Illinois Chat is the instant messaging (IM) service that allows faculty, staff, and students on the Urbana campus to chat within the safety and security of the University network.
Why should I use Illinois Chat?
• It’s secured: Your instant messages are encrypted from end to end, which means they cannot be intercepted, and they are never sent outside the University network.
• It’s private: Any information you exchange via Illinois Chat is not being “captured,” which means your chats or file transfers are not saved or held in any way on the Illinois Chat server.
• It’s safer: Only those with a valid University NetID can use Illinois Chat, which means that everyone on Illinois Chat is verified.
• It’s the best way to find your campus colleagues: All you have to know is the NetID of the person(s) you want to chat with. You don’t need to worry about which IM service a colleague or student might be using or what his or her screen name is. Once you have an Illinois Chat account, you can easily add your Illinois contacts that are also using the IM service. If a contact is not already using Illinois Chat, you can invite him or her to start.
• It works for group chats: The same features that make Illinois Chat better for private chats and information transfer also make it the better choice for group chats. You can create and check out chat rooms for your research group, your staff, or the students in a class project.
• You can use more than one computer at a time: If you take your laptop to a new location while your office or dorm desktop is still connected, Illinois Chat will detect your activity on your laptop and direct new chat messages there.
How to Setup Pidgin (Windows Client), click here.
How to Setup Adium (Macintosh Client), click here.
Additional Information regarding Illinois Chat can be found online at: http://www.cites.illinois.edu/illinoischat/index.html. Finally, the new campus-wide Illinois Chat will replace the Vet Med IM service that was announced last year.
Thanks for reading and feel free to contact Computing Services at email@example.com if you have additional questions,