How Do I Apply? | Standards for Admission | Prerequisites | Special Considerations | When Will I Hear? | FAQs | Checklist |
All applicants must complete and submit all of the following materials to be considered for admission to the DVM program. If any of the following materials are missing, the application will be considered incomplete and will be rejected without further consideration.
1. The Veterinary Medical College Application Service
The Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) application is submitted through the American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC)
The VMCAS application opens in mid-May during each application cycle, so it is open for four full months before the due date, usually on September 15. The application fee must be paid at the time of submission or the application is considered incomplete. Application fees are calculated on the basis of the number of colleges to which you are applying. The fee is payable with MasterCard and Visa. A minimum of three letters of reference must be submitted to VMCAS electronically. Illinois requires that
- One of the letters be from a practicing veterinarian familiar with the candidate
- One of the letters be from a professor or instructor familiar with the candidate
- None of the letters be from a relative, by blood or marriage.
2. Illinois Veterinary Application Processing Fee
The University of Illinois application requires a non-refundable processing fee of $60 ($75 for international applicants). The fee must be paid at the time of application submission. Click here to pay your University of Illinois application processing fee.
3. Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Applicants must take the General GRE between August 1, 2014 and September 15, 2016.
- Scores must be sent to the College electronically.
- The reporting code for the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine is 1836.
- Scores must be received by October 1, 2016.
- If taking the examination more than one time, the higher composite score of valid examinations will be used.
- An examination is valid when all three components are completed at the same time within the required time period of the last two years.
- Get additional information regarding the GRE.
Official transcripts from all post-secondary (post-high school) institutions you have attended are required.
Transcripts are required even if
- Credits may show up as transfer credits on another institution’s transcript
- You took only one course at the institution, or
- You took the college credits during high school.
- The DEADLINE for VMCAS 2016 is September 15, 2016, at midnight EDT.
- Transcripts must be sent to: VMCAS – Transcripts, P.O. Box 9126, Watertown, MA 02471
- Get CRITICAL Information for students about transcript verification.
Mailing Address (Transcripts): University of Illinois, 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Room 2271G, Urbana, Illinois, 61802
For any student currently enrolled in graduate school, a letter is required from the applicant’s advisor and department head stating that if accepted into veterinary college, the applicant will have made satisfactory arrangements for completion or release from the graduate program. Please send letters directly to the College of Veterinary Medicine’s DVM Admissions Office – not to VMCAS.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Annual Security Report
The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available. This report includes statistics from the previous three years concerning reported crime that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus and statistics for fires in on-campus student housing. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and other safety information along with fire safety policies and procedures. You may obtain a hard copy of this report by contacting the Division of Public Safety or by accessing this Web site.