SUGGESTED READING LIST
A selected bibliography of books about veterinary medicine and those who practice it compiled by Betty Brown and Gretchen Stephens of the Veterinary Medical Library at Purdue University.
- Balliet, Gay Louise. Touched by all creatures: doctoring animals in the Pennsylvania Dutch country. Far Hills, NJ: New Horizon Press, 1999.
- Grant, David. Just practicing: early days as a country vet. London: Simon & Schuster, 1999.
- Gutkind, Lee. An unspoken art: profiles of veterinary life. New York: Henry Holt and Co., 1997.
- Gutkind, Lee. Veterinarian’s touch: profiles of life among the animals. New York: Henry Holt, 1998.
- Hart, Sue(Susanne). Dr. Sue, a vet in Africa. Randburg, South Africa: Raven Press, 1995.
- Herriot, James. Every living thing. New York: St. Martins Press, 1992
- Inglis, Joe. It really does happen to a vet! The journal of Joe Inglis in practice. London: Sidgwick & Jackson, 1999
- Johnson, Pam. Hiss and tell: true stories from the files of a cat shrink. Freedom, CA: Crossing Press, 1996.
- Jones, Theresa. True horse stories: adventures of vet practice. Tyler, TX: Equine Research, 2000
- Karesh, William B. Appointment at the ends of the world: memoirs of a wildlife veterinarian. New York: Warner Books, 1999.
- Kendall, Grant. Animals in my life: stories of a country vet. New York: Howell Book House, 1996.
- Kendall, Grant. More animals in my life: stories of a country vet. New York: Howell Book House, 1998.
- Lemonds, Leo L. Doc – my chickens are dying!: memories of a Nebraska veterinarian. Hastings, NE: L.L. Lemonds, Service Press, 1996.
- McCormick, John E. Fields and pastures new: my first year as a country vet. New York: Crown Publishers, 1995.
- McCormick, John E. A friend of the flock: tales of a country veterinarian. New York: Crown Publishers, 1997.
- McCormick, John E. The hero of the herd. New York: Crown Publishers, 1999.
- McCormick, John E. Watch for a cloud of dust II: more memories of a Dixie Veterinarian. Ft. Atkinson, WI: W.D. Hoard, 1990.
- Martin, John G. Doc, my tiger’s got an itch: the true story of a Kentucky hill country veterinarian who occasionally runs away with the circus. Indianapolis: Guild Press of Indiana, 1996.
- Martin, John G. Never a ho-hum day: stories about a Kentucky hill country veterinarian and his ‘doctorin’. Carmel, IN: Guild Press of Indiana, 1998.
- Porter, George A. Pet ER: memoirs of an animal doctor. Franklin, TN: Hillsboro Press, 1999.
- Scanlon, Edward J. Animal patients: 50 years in the life of an animal doctor. Philadelphia: Camino Books, 2000.
- Smith, M. McCoy. Never alone: the life and times of a country veterinarian. Nashville: Eggman Publishers, 1995.
- Taylor, David. The patient elephant: more exotic cases from the world’s top wildlife vet. London: Robson, (Distributor: Parkwest Pub., Jersey City, NJ) 1993.
- Taylor, David. Vet on the wild side. New York: St. Martins Press, 1990.
- Tufts University, School of Veterinary Medicine. Animal ER: extraordinary stories of hope and healing from one of the world’s leading veterinary hospitals. New York: Dutton, 1999.
- Vine, Louis L. Dogs are people, too. New York: Rivercross Pub., 1997.
- Ward, F. M. Reflections of a veterinarian: don’t follow me, I stepped in something. Waco, TX: Texan Press, 1995.
- Wight, Jim. The real James Herriot: a memoir of my father. New York: Ballatine Books, 2000.
- Zimmerman, Theodore. They can’t talk, but they never lie: the making of a zoo vet. Lake Worth, Lantana Br., FL: Action Arts Press, 1995.
- Carmenson, Blythe. Opportunities in zoos and aquariums. Lincolnwood, IL: VGM Career Horizons, 1998
- Careers in focus. Animal care. Chicago: Ferguson Pub. Co., 1998
- Careers with Zoos, animal science: your concern for animals can become a career for you. Chicago: Institute for Research, 1994
- Duncan, Jane Caryl. Careers in veterinary medicine. New York: Rosen Pub. Group, 1994
- Glen, Thomas B. The dolphin and whale career guide: a complete sourcebook for anyone wanting to get involved with dolphins and whales. Chicago, IL: Omega, 1997
- Marinelli, Deborah A. Careers in animal care and veterinary science. New York: Rosen Pub. Group, 2000
- Smith, Carin A. Career choices for veterinarians: beyond private practice. Leavenworth, KS: Smith Veterinary Services, 1998.
- Swope, Robert E. Opportunities in veterinary medicine careers. Lincolnwood, IL: VGM Career Horizons, 1993.
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges. Veterinary medical school admission requirements in the United States and Canada. West Lafayette, IN: Purdue University Press.2000
- Crawford, Jane Diehl. The pre-veterinary planning guide. Bethesda, MD: Betz Publishing Co. 1995
- Gage, Loretta. If wishes were horses: the education of a veterinarian. New York: St. Martins Press, 1993
- McCarthy, John B., ed. Planning your veterinary career. Denver: American Animal Hospital Association, 1992.
WOMEN IN VETERINARY MEDICINE
- Drum, Sue. Women in veterinary medicine: profiles of success. Ames, IA: Iowa State University Press, 1991.
- Larson, Phylllis Hickney, ed. Our history of women in veterinary medicine: gumption, grace, grit, and good humor. Littleton, CO: Association for Women Veterinarians, 1997.
FOR YOUNG READERS
- Bowman-Kruhm, Mary. A day in the life of a veterinarian. New York: PowerKids Press, 1999.
- Burgan, Michael. Veterinarian. Mankato, MN: Capstone Books, 2000
- Ermitage, Kathleen. Veterinarian. Austin TX: Raintree Steck-Vaughn Publishers, 2000.
- Flanagan, Alice K. Dr. Friedman helps animals. New York: Children’s Press, 1999.
- Greene, Carol. Veterinarians help animals. Plymouth, MN: Child’s World, c1997.
- Lauber, Patricia. Tiger has a toothache. Washington DC: National Geographic Society: Distributed by Publishers Group West, 1999.
- Liebman, Daniel. I want to be a vet. Toronto: Firefly Books, 2000.
- Maze, Stephanie. I want to be …. A veterinarian. San Diego: Harcourt Brace, 1997.
- Ready, Dee. Veterinarians. Mankato, MN: Bridgestone Books, c1997.
- Schaefer, Lola M. We need veterinarians. Mankato, MN: Pebble Books, 2000.
- Schomp, Virginia. If you were a …veterinarian. Tarrytown, NY: Benchmark Books, 1998