Small Animals, Large Animals, and Exotics
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital’s emergency and critical care services are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. No appointment is necessary. However, we encourage you to call ahead so we can be prepared for your animal’s unique needs.
- For small animal emergencies, call (217) 333-5300.
- For large animal emergencies, call (217) 333-2000.
Our Small Animal Clinic is located at 1008 W. Hazelwood Drive, Urbana.
Our Large Animal Clinic is located at 1102 W. Hazelwood Drive, Urbana.
What Is an Emergency?
If you think your animal is experiencing an emergency but aren’t sure, call us. We’re happy to help you assess whether your animal needs to be seen.
Common emergencies include:
- Allergic reactions/hives
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty urinating/not producing urine
- Difficulty walking or prolonged lameness
- Collapse, seizures, not conscious
- Ingestion of toxins or foreign objects
- Persistent vomiting, diarrhea and/or decreased appetite
- Punctures or bite wounds
- Severe bleeding
- Traumas, such as being hit by a car or falling
- Unusual behavior/lethargy
Our Emergency Veterinarians
Maureen McMichael, DVM, DACVECC
Efa Llewellyn, BVetMed, DACVECC, MRCVS
Natasha Hodgson, DVM, Resident
Olivia Wolf, DVM, Resident
Amanda Kuhl, DVM, Intern
Ambulatory for Large Animals
Our Large Animal Clinic will travel to provide emergency medical field service throughout east-central Illinois for equine and agricultural animals 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- For ambulatory emergencies, call (217) 333-2000.
Our Ambulatory Emergency Veterinarian
Scott Austin, DVM, MS, DACVIM-LA
Emergency Pre-Registration Program
Our Good Human pre-registration program is free, convenient, and lifesaving.
- New patient registration fee waived
- Fast check-in times for emergency services
Anyone can join, so whether you’re already a Veterinary Teaching Hospital client, or your pet receives care primarily through a private veterinarian or clinic, you can still participate in the pre-registration program, ensuring quick access to skilled emergency care when you need it the most. For more information, call (217) 333-5300.
Sign up and be prepared for emergencies.