Veterinary Medical Alumni Association
As a graduate from the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine you are automatically a member of the Veterinary Medical Alumni Association (VMAA).
The overall mission of the College’s Alumni Association is to inspire lifelong loyalty and pride among alumni of the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine and to support and strengthen the welfare of the College. This lofty goal is categorized into a handful of mission specifics below and action points below. Please let us know if you would like to help out in any of these areas! We’d love to have your input!
- fostering ongoing relationships between the alumni, faculty, students and constituents of College of Veterinary Medicine.
-Do you still have nightmares of finals? The VMAA lets students know they remember their pain and are rooting for them by giving students a stress relief pack of mainly unhealthy goodies just prior to finals.
-We also have student representatives from each class. We hope to use these reps as a liaison between the alumni and the classes now and in future communications post graduation.
- recognizing alumni and other individuals who have made significant contributions to the veterinary profession and/or to the College of Veterinary Medicine through annual awards and honors.
-Each year we honor alumni in the following categories: Dr. Erwin Small Distinguished Alumni Award and Special Service Award. We need you to help us come up with ideas for worthy recipients! If you want to nominate worthy alumni for any of these awards, please go to this web site vetmed.illinois.edu/advancement/alumni.html.
- acknowledging an outstanding veterinary student who has demonstrated overall proficiency in clinical veterinary medicine.
-We certainly understand the financial demands of a Vet Med student, therefore, we award an outstanding student with an award for veterinary clinical proficiency.
- encouraging early membership in and active participation in the University of Illinois Alumni Association and the University of Illinois Veterinary Medical Alumni Association.
-We are excited to have the below events for you to meet up with alumni this year:
1. Golf outing the Friday of Fall Conference: Our goal this year is to have a cart from every class at the event!
2. Bring your children to Open House in the spring. Show them where you went to school and what you did in class!
3. Attend your class reunion! 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35 class reunions are held in conjunction with fall conference. If you need help planning your reunion, the alumni association has resources to help you.
- assisting the College in maintaining an active database on alumni, including professional and personal information.
-We’d like to get a representative from every class to assist us with communication with classes. If you would like to volunteer for this role for your class or know someone who would be good, please let us know.
- encouraging and providing assistance with reunion planning.
-Each year reunions are held in conjunction with fall conference. If your class is on a 5-year interval and you need help planning your reunion, the alumni association has resources to help you.
- actively promoting the veterinary profession and the College by mentoring current and prospective veterinary students.
-We are currently working with students to devise a series of alumni lectures as continuous outreach. If you have a unique case study that you would like to share, let us know and you could be our featured alumni!
-At every meeting of the board, we will work to send a board representative to meet with each class and give them a brief message from the alumni association and words of encouragement.
Thanks for being interested on our mission and action points. If you would like to communicate any alumni or student needs or ideas for the VMAA, please contact Beth Erwin at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to best serve you and the mission of the Veterinary Medical Alumni Association.
Kevin Dajka, DVM
Class of 2003